Battery Going ....... Cca , # Of Months?

98 LS

My battery is giving indications that it is holding very little charge :cries: .......... it must be replaced shortly ........ any suggestions other than getting a big mama jama? .......... Specifically CCA and number of months ......... or is it just as cost effective to get the best priced one and replace it more frequently?

Any brands that are head and shoulders the best or ones to "look out for" and avoid? I'll be doing the swap out myself ........ who makes Pep-Boys brand?

TIA :cheers:

I bought a Sears die hard.........

Some guys don't like them though.......

I think is 48 month......with 550 cca's. They'll pull up what you need on the computer - but check the owners manual, it should say.

Make sure its the same size though!!!

You could check into local Toyota dealer......mine was the original from factory and I could have swapped it out that way.

I replaced the battery in our 2000 LS a few weeks ago at about the four year, three month mark - that is the longest a battery has lasted in my almost 15 years experience with LS400's. Whether OEM or aftermarket (usually Interstate), batteries in our LS's have rarely lasted past four years and sometimes have lasted only three years.

I have had several discussions with owners of independent repair shops regarding how hard LS's are on batteries - it seems to be a "feature" of the beast.

I'd say to shop based on price and/or convenience and replace the battery at the first sign of weekness. Don't bother to go to the expense of having the electrical system or battery checked if the battery is over three years old - just replace the battery - they don't cost all that much.

I've got the history of my 94LS, and it's clear that it needed a new battery every 2 years. That's 10 years-five batteries. Pitiful. Just bought a new one last month.

But name me another repair that costs 50 bucks on a Lexus. For example, I couldn't find the little rare-type light bulb that lights up the vanity mirror-Lexus dealer charged me 7 bucks for a tiny light bulb that can't be worth a dollar. Except in Lenexa.

You are right-when in doubt, replace the battery.

I've got the history of my 94LS, and it's clear that it needed a new battery every 2 years.  That's 10 years-five batteries.  Pitiful.  Just bought a new one last month.

But name me another repair that costs 50 bucks on a Lexus.  For example, I couldn't find the little rare-type light bulb that lights up the vanity mirror-Lexus dealer charged me 7 bucks for a tiny light bulb that can't be worth a dollar.  Except in Lenexa.

You are right-when in doubt, replace the battery.

TL94,

The battery I took from my 99 was the original "toyota Factory Brand"...so it lasted 48-54 months..........and now I put the 72 month Die hard in it. I"m hoping the thing will fail completely in 36 months so I can get a little rebate/ free replacement :lol:

just out of curiosity, do most of you guys just shut off the engine the second you put it into park? Or do you let the battery recharge itself? That can also help extend the battery life right?

From what i was taught, let the car run for another 30 secs to min with everything off... lights, heat/ac, radio... n other stuff.

But then again... i never do that... too anxious to go somewhere. :P

just out of curiosity, do most of you guys just shut off the engine the second you put it into park?  Or do you let the battery recharge itself?  That can also help extend the battery life right?

From what i was taught, let the car run for another 30 secs to min with everything off... lights, heat/ac,  radio... n other stuff.

But then again... i never do that... too anxious to go somewhere. :P

I do that for only 3-5 seconds.........

IMHO, you want your engine to idle as little as possible........