Mpg Readings

tclass

I am curious what everyone driving an ES330 is getting. My 05 has less than 1000 miles on odometer, and I have not gooten better than 21mpg on average. Will mpg improve as car becomes broken in? I got 22.5 to 23 with my 97 ES300.

i hear ya dude, best i got with my 99 is around 23mpg and the owners manual says u should get around 27 if u do hiway driving. go figurre, i think theyre using inflated figures, regular city driving in miami with the ac on all the time i get around like 18 19 some times.

I am curious what everyone driving an ES330 is getting. My 05 has less than 1000 miles on odometer, and I have not gooten better than 21mpg on average. Will mpg improve as car becomes broken in? I got 22.5 to 23 with my 97 ES300.

There shouldn't much of a mileage difference between an '03ES300 and a '05ES330.

This is a thread that I started a couple of weeks ago> http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=14921

I have a 1999 ES300.  I average 20-22 city & 25-27 highway.  I averaged 27 on my recent drive to Vega$.

is that the one where you mistreated your car? :blink:

:P

as for me:

before air filter change:

~190 Miles per tank

After air filter change

~300 Miles per tank (almost) all highway.

I have a 1994 ES300 with 125k! I get 25 in the city and 29-30 on the highway. I tried filling up with 87 instead of 94 Sunoco Premium, and the MPG went down. I also run a fuel injector cleaner everytime I change my oil. I also run Z-Max Fuel Additive as well as their Engine Formula. I am not saying you should do this, but the results show in my MPG! I also change my oil every 3k and drive like an old man :cheers:

Brian

I think a lot of it comes from the fact that the ES today is significantly larger and heavier than it was in the days of yore. Its only 200 or so pounds lighter than an LS430, and even the 330 model has a not very spirited power to weight ratio. From my experience the best mileage you'll ever get is 25mpg on a highway trip.

I think a lot of it comes from the fact that the ES today is significantly larger and heavier than it was in the days of yore. Its only 200 or so pounds lighter than an LS430, and even the 330 model has a not very spirited power to weight ratio. From my experience the best mileage you'll ever get is 25mpg on a highway trip.

Steve-

If you followed my thread about my trip to Myrtle Beach, you'll see that my mileage was a lot better then 25mpg. As I mentioned, I was very accurate in determining these figures. The link is on my above post. Please re-read and tell me why there is this variation.:whistles:

Who knows, could be driving style (I'm not aggressive but I'm not slow, actually my guess is our driving styles are pretty similar given your post.

My figures however are only based on the car's computer readout. I've never thought it seemed right (after a full tank it rarely tops 300mi range) maybe I have a discrepency in that system somewhere.

Who knows, could be driving style (I'm not aggressive but I'm not slow, actually my guess is our driving styles are pretty similar given your post.

My figures however are only based on the car's computer readout. I've never thought it seemed right (after a full tank it rarely tops 300mi range) maybe I have a discrepency in that system somewhere.

I think my trip computer acts the same as yours(about 300mi after a fill up). I found it's almost impossible to get accurate readings using the trip computer. I measured the gas mileage by filling up the tank, then on the next fill up I divided the mileage I went, by the amount of fuel used. I was being as careful as possible to get exact readings.[i keep a little electronic calculator in my glove compartment]. I'm sure that your car will give you the same type of mileage that I got, assuming that all other parameters were equal. ;)

I am not as lucky as you to have a newer Es but my 98 gets between 23.8 to 24.4 in town (and to work) and highway is around 28.1 to 29.7 (with cruise at 75mph). I have only kept track since 6-9-2002. Highway is not the offen because I hate driving on it. Too many nuts.

At half tank it is around 200 to 210 miles. The most miles going to work and back was around 380 miles and the gas light was on. One of the stupid things in life you do, once, to see how long you can go.

Last weeks fill up was at 260 miles and filled 10.722 galons @ $1.91 per gallon.

I also do not drive hard since most times I have a coffee in the right hand since the cup holders SUCK; or on my way home from work or school and can't speed throught West Hartford, CT.

It does drop a few % in the winter.

I get 23-24 mpg around town and 28-30 mpg all out highway.

I fill up and the trip meter resets to about 330-350 miles based on the previous mileage averages. The little light comes on if I am lazy enough to let the trip meter drop to 20 miles. There will be about 2 gallons left in the tank when the little light comes. It is designed to do this as a precaution so we don't run the tank dry. Not a good idea with in-tank fuel pumps.

Rule of thumb, never let your tank go below 1/4 of a tank.

The running average meter and the overall trip meter are not as accurate as direct calculation, but it is close (~1-2 mpg).

steviej

Rule of thumb, never let your tank go below 1/4 of a tank.

I have a bad habit of breaking this rule :blushing: :chairshot: But that will change now after reading this thread. Fillup before last my car drove 400 city miles mostly to and from work (that's from full tank to the point where the needle hits E but fuel light not coming on yet). Last fillup I drove 380 city miles. I use Chevron's 87octane (used to use 89octane) 90% of the times with no engine knocks. I'm sure my city traffic isn't as bad as the big city folks here but still I guess my car is doing well in mpg. :D

What perplexes me is the fuel gauge reading in the cluster. After filling up with gas and driving only about 60miles, the needle drops to 3/4 tank. It seems to drop in this manner but not linearly until the needle reaches E. Considering I have a recently tuned-up 95ES, how accurate is this feul gauge?

What perplexes me is the fuel gauge reading in the cluster.  After filling up with gas and driving only about 60miles, the needle drops to 3/4 tank.  It seems to drop in this manner but not linearly until the needle reaches E.  Considering I have a recently tuned-up 95ES, how accurate is this feul gauge?

don't worry about it. Mine sits at full and slowly drops to 3/4 when 100 miles has gone by, then slowly drops to 1/2 and then BAM is drops like a rock to 1/4.

My SSEi did the same thing as did my 626GT.

Gas guages, electronic or float type act differently and are not always linear.

I use the trip meter as a back up.

steviej

• 3 weeks later...

i can make it from nyc to boston and back again on a full tank of gas which is 420 miles with exxon 93 octane. i noticed the car eats up gas above 3000rpm when im at cruise control doing 80-85 and i would get only 350 miles. 80mph is exactly 3000rpm so i cruise at 65-77. even when accelerating from the toll booth, i make sure i dont go over 3000rpm :D

i can make it from nyc to boston and back again on a full tank of gas which is 420 miles with exxon 93 octane. i noticed the car eats up gas above 3000rpm when im at cruise control doing 80-85 and i would get only 350 miles. 80mph is exactly 3000rpm so i cruise at 65-77. even when accelerating from the toll booth, i make sure i dont go over 3000rpm  :D

That is some really cautious driving my friend. I avg about 3000rpm as well but i just like to have a little more fun coming off the toll booths or the red lights. Of course driving in san francisco wont ever get above 21mpg but oh well.

oh yea, sometimes i also get road rage and ppl are going to slow so i go around them hitting 5000-6000rpm for like 10 seconds.

I wish there was a 5th gear so i can save more gas on highways

I started with a full tank and set my trip meter.....by the time my fuel light came on, :whistles: I was only at 260 miles and I used 89 octane from a Shell station. I normally do not let my tank drop below half, but my sole income is tips and well....

Anyone have any idea why my mpg is so low? :huh:

I started with a full tank and set my trip meter.....by the time my fuel light came on,:whistles: I was only at 260 miles and I used 89 octane from a Shell station. I normally do not let my tank drop below half, but my sole income is tips and well....

Anyone have any idea why my mpg is so low?  :huh:

Well, it could be about a thousand things.

Needs a tuneup

Plugged fuel injectors

Badly underinflated tires

Low transmission fluid

Transmission not shifting into top gear

Bad O2 sensor

Bad PCV valve

And a zillion more.

Are there any other symptoms that might help to narrow it down?

I started with a full tank and set my trip meter.....by the time my fuel light came on,:whistles: I was only at 260 miles and I used 89 octane from a Shell station. I normally do not let my tank drop below half, but my sole income is tips and well....

Anyone have any idea why my mpg is so low?  :huh:

Well, it could be about a thousand things.

Needs a tuneup

Plugged fuel injectors

Badly underinflated tires

Low transmission fluid

Transmission not shifting into top gear

Bad O2 sensor

Bad PCV valve

And a zillion more.

Are there any other symptoms that might help to narrow it down?

well I had a fuel injection cleaning done about two weeks ago and they said that I did not need a tuneup (my original reason for taking it to the shop, independent, not Lexus). I rarely check my tire pressure. I have not checked my transmission fluid since I had it changed in October. Ummmm....I cannot really think of any symptoms that have seemed unusual or problematic. Other than my bad cv joints and a possible seep in my rear main seal.