Tire Rim Problems?

GoldCountry

We kept getting flat tires, but everytime we took the tire in to be repaired, they could not find anything wrong with the tire? We have been to several tire companies, and no one could find the culprit to the flat tire. Finally, after a dozen flat tires (and getting a good warranty on tires at Sears), a Sears technician found that there are tiny little wholes in the rim at the tire's edge. The holes are also rusty. So, it looks like the rim is degrading he said. The rim is actually rusting!

We live in a dry climate, (Sacramento), and the car only has 50K miles on it, so we don't understand how a rim could have this problem. It will cost a minimum $500 to replace the rim (as per a couple of tire stores).

Because the hole(s) is tiny, we thought we might be able to get it welded??

- Happend to Anyone Else?

- Any Ideas?

- Where to buy cheap '97 Lexus rims?

:cries: Help!

We kept getting flat tires, but everytime we took the tire in to be repaired, they could not find anything wrong with the tire? We have been to several tire companies, and no one could fine the culprit to the flat tire. Finally, after a dozen flat tires (and getting a good warranty on tires at Sears), a Sears technician found that there are tiny little wholes in the rim at the tire's edge. The holes are also rusty. So, it looks like the rim is degrading he said. The rim is actually rusting!

We live in a dry climate, (Sacramento), and the car only has 50K miles on it, so we don't understand how a rim could have this problem.  It will cost a minimum $500 to replace the rim (as per a couple of tire stores).

Because the hole(s) is tiny, we thought we might be able to get it welded??

- Happend to Anyone Else?

- Any Ideas?

- Where to buy cheap '97 Lexus rims?

:cries:  Help!

I have an 97 ES 300 and I do not see how this could happen, do u have a pic?

Are the rims steal or aluminium. if they are steal they could be welded and ground back down to a smooth bead easily. of they are aluminium you would have to back it with argon gas and use a negative DC welder to weld it. then grind it down a big pain in the !Removed!

you should be able to take any type of spray that bubbles like windex and spray it around the bead then and see it bubble up if air is getting by. i have something in my shop called bead sealer that is like tar. i use it on rusty beads to seal it and keep air from getting by. i would think about trying this. remove the tire and take a wire brush and clean the bead real good. then use bead sealer and put it all around the bead. put the tire back on and i think is should be fine.

I would also think about maybe removing the tire wire brushing it and then wiping epoxy around the bead to seal it. then let it dry and put the tire back on. I think there are always around this problem with out replacing the rims

I had a similiar problem to u with my LS400 rims. They were chrome rims... or was it chrome plated rims. Either way... same problem. Every week or two weeks i would have to fill air into it. Sometimes... depending on the weather i would need to pump air at least two times a week. It got pretty annoying. I lived with this for 2 to 3 years since i didn't have money to buy rims.

It got really annoying when its cold and i really want to go somewhere and i need to bring out my tire pump and start pumping my tires every few days.

Like you, the people couldn't find a leak. It was a slow leak actually. So i eventually got new rims... and let me tell you... what a relief. Sorry i have no advice on how to fix the rim. You can possilby try what mxl said to save money n hope it works. But to get real assurances... just get new rims. Sometimes you can find good deals on rims in a junk yard near your place.

Good luck on the leak

well crome is a different story. it starts to peal and and the air will get around it. I see it all the time. take the tire off the rim scrape the crome off on the bead and wire brush the crap out of it. bead seal it and it is good to go.

realli. I didn't know that. O wellz... my old rims are my backup rims now anywayz. Thanks for the info though.

HAHAHAHHAA. :lol: I guess that is true. But Chrome looks soooo beautiful on a car though and it's sad that they cost so much. *SIGH* Next time i run into someone wit that problem... i'm going to use that same exact quote. HAHAHA. You definitely got me smiling now. :lol:

Take care. B)

Ok, here is the style of the rims on my Lexus. As I mentioned in my opening post here, I think it's chrome plated? Because it's a dull steel on the inside?

Anyway, no comments from the peanut gallery on my dirty car. It's raining out and we're right in the middle of building our home where we haven't paved yet. Needless to say, "Lexy" get's quite dirty these days.

Anyway, back to those itsy bitsy holes on my rim, the tire guy added quite a bit of sealant, washed the rim, brushed it, etc. I'm afraid we will have to buy a new rim. darn! I really can't see paying out $500+ for a rim right now. :wacko:

I called this place in Sacramento that is supposed to have every kind of used Toyota rim and then some. They are huge. They said that they never get any Lexus rims in. Soooo, until then, I'm running around with my ugly spare on. My car looks like she is walking with crutches, it's sooo ugly!

:cries:

post-13938-1100166791_thumb.jpg

Ok, here is the style of the rims on my Lexus. As I mentioned in my opening post here, I think it's chrome plated? Because it's a dull steel on the inside?

Anyway, no comments from the peanut gallery on my dirty car. It's raining out and we're right in the middle of building our home where we haven't paved yet. Needless to say, "Lexy" get's quite dirty these days.

Anyway, back to those itsy bitsy holes on my rim, the tire guy added quite a bit of sealant, washed the rim, brushed it, etc.  I'm afraid we will have to buy a new rim. darn! I really can't see paying out $500+ for a rim right now.  :wacko:

I called this place in Sacramento that is supposed to have every kind of used Toyota rim and then some. They are huge. They said that they never get any Lexus rims in. Soooo, until then, I'm running around with my ugly spare on. My car looks like she is walking with crutches, it's sooo ugly!

:cries:

well you could always go the cheep way and ask them for some camry rims. get used steal camry rims, they can not cost u that much.

I'm sure there's bound to be another junkyard of some sort in your area. Check your local listings or perhaps use the yellowpages on yahoo.com.

http://yp.yahoo.com/py/ypBrowse.py?ycat=78...y0csy93nHgtKQ--

I hope you can find the same exact rims for cheaper. I don't know if you want, but you can also check out the neighboring cities when you decide you might want to visit a friend or just visit or just plain search out n locate your rims.

So even after the tire guy did his magic... it's still leaking?

Good luck B)

Yep, the tire still leaked, even after all the magic the tire guy tried to bestow on it.

I will just continue to look for the rim at all the junk yards, even if it's a couple hours away. I would go, just to get this thing replaced, without paying the bigger bucks. But then some of those junk yards charge almost as much! . . . and then there's that gas price thing . . . yikes!

I think I may be headed to just breaking down and buying a new one if I can't find anything soon. [grumble, grumble] :censored:

Thanks again!

Marie

If you can't find any around you... if you want... u can always ask relatives and friends... n later on... OWE THEM A BIG FAVOR!!! LOL. But yea, you can always check ebay if you want. Just make sure they are in good condition.

You can always check out this online junkyard. I got something from them once. They were pretty good to me. Since your only looking for RIMS... just make sure they get the good one... cause this is going to be the place where your heart will cry out seeing ALL THOSE LEXI's dying and MANGLED.

However, you just need one... i'm not sure if they will sell you one... but it's worth a shot... n c if you can find it.

http://www.taprecycling.net

They have a lot of Lexi n Toyo parts

If you can't find any around you... if you want... u can always ask relatives and friends... n later on... OWE THEM A BIG FAVOR!!!  LOL.  But yea, you can always check ebay if you want.  Just make sure they are in good condition.

You can always check out this online junkyard.  I got something from them once.  They were pretty good to me.  Since your only looking for RIMS... just make sure they get the good one... cause this is going to be the place where your heart will cry out seeing ALL THOSE LEXI's dying and MANGLED.

However, you just need one... i'm not sure if they will sell you one... but it's worth a shot... n c if you can find it.

http://www.taprecycling.net

They have a lot of Lexi n Toyo parts

Oh goodness... I just clicked on that link, very saddening seeing all those ES300s wrecked. Anyway, as far as ebay goes, I didn't find your style wheels (i'm actually looking for OEM chrome wheels as well). They only seem to carry the new ES300 wheels. Good luck on finding a replacement!

Hey GoldCountry, i don't know if your interested... but as i was searching EBAY online... i came across this ES300. I've dealt with this guy before. He's not bad. Just give him a call, n ask him for your Chrome Wheels? Ask if he has it. I think he has 2 ES's for parting. I know he mentioned one set is going to be chrome and one set is going to be non- chrome. So give him a call n let me know how it goes if your still interested in your chrome wheel. B)

Hey GoldCountry, i don't know if your interested... but as i was searching EBAY online... i came across this ES300.  I've dealt with this guy before.  He's not bad.  Just give him a call, n ask him for your Chrome Wheels?  Ask if he has it.  I think he has 2 ES's for parting.  I know he mentioned one set is going to be chrome and one set is going to be non- chrome.  So give him a call n let me know how it goes if your still interested in your chrome wheel. B)

you didn't give any listing of "who" the guy is or how to contact him.

If you tried to put a link in the thread to the ebay site or person, it didn't work.

PM me if you need help or instruction.

steviej

OOPS... sorrie about that StevieJ... i guess i totally forgot to put the link. Here's da link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...ssPageName=WDVW

Sorry it was 4:30 am so i guess i got really forgetful.

But yea... call him or email him and find out.

Too bad you didn't have this wheel. Cause this guy was selling just one Chrome Rim

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=43955

But if u want a Chrome rim for spare... lol :whistles:

Wow! That looks VERY close to mine! I will defintely be calling him. I search eBay almost daily, but somehow that one slipped by me! :geek:

[WARNING: WOMAN ABOUT TO ASK DUMB QUESTION . . .]

Is there a way to know if it is the "same" rim? Such as a number on the inside? etc.? :huh:

Thanks Again!

[WARNING: WOMAN ABOUT TO ASK DUMB QUESTION . . .]

LOL... u don't have to do that :lol: Hahahaha.

There is always an identification number. Everything in our society has an identification number. Makes it easier to distinguish one thing from another... just like us n our Social Security Number.

Usually they talk about size of the rims too.

But judging from the RIMS u had n this one... they are different in my opinion. But like i suggested before... you can always try the junkyards that i gave u... and the other ebay junkyard guy i gave u too. He has 2 ES's in his shop... one has chrome rims so definitely give him a call or give him an email... n he'll gladly help u out.

Good luck B)

Lol... no problem :blushing:

We've all been in the same boat. If u don't ask a question... maybe someone else might ahve the same question too. So no worries.

Too bad my g/f doesn't think so... just had a huge arguement :chairshot:

O wellz. <_<

I'm still searching through ebay for some stuff as well... so if i c something of interest... i'll b sure to keep you updated ok :lol:

Take care... and again... i'll say this again n again... but... "GOOD LUCK" B)

99... need desperately to pass out :blink:

• 17 years later...

Dear KCPth and Gold Country, I am having the same trouble with my 98 and 01 Lexus ES300s.  I think the problem is corrosion of the rims, causing a small leak where the rubber meets the rim. 

One solution is to replace the rims, very expensive.  Another solution is to break down all 4 tires, clean the rims, and remount the tires, which is kind of expensive. and will recur.

Has anyone injected tire sealant through the tire valve to fix this?  You have to drive the car right after, so that the sealant spreads to any leaks in the tire. 

JC 

• 1 year later...

What to do about corroded Alloy rims

Dear Fellow Lexus Owners, I have 2 ES300s, a 98 and an 01.  Both are losing air from the tires incessantly.   Yesterday I had one wheel removed, rim cleaned, and tire remounted, $31.50.  Does anyone have a better solution?  JC