Missed A Cherry 300

lexxus

I've been looking for an SC300 with low miles for a long time. I'd really like to find a 95 or newer, with 50K or less. I know, it's tough, but they are out there. Anyway, there was a 93 SC300, with 46K, beautiful original, on Autotrader in Phoenix. I'm in LA. I called the man, and he was very cool. The car was $9400. Anyway, I could have been the first to see it. I checked on the plane ticket, and calculated the loss of pay(might have been more than one day to get it back here) and the cost of the mechanic's checkup) So, I'm about to go for it, and I made the fatal mistake of talking to my girlfriend, who said what if the car sucks, you'll miss work, pay big for the plane ticket...sucked the steam right out of me. Another guy bought it the next day, sight unseen!

Hey Lexxus,

Whatever happened about the "engine rattle knock" in your girlfriends car? Ever determine exactly what is causing it? I know you went through some challenges with both cars.

Any resolution with prior owner?

Good to see you haven't lost faith and looking for another one -- good idea to find another that has been well taken care of with low mileage.

Take care and good luck...Lexcalibur

Hey Lexxus,

Whatever happened about the "engine rattle knock" in your girlfriends car? Ever determine exactly what is causing it? I know you went through some challenges with both cars.

The mechanic says it's a bad lifter. And it gets 13 mpg, and the trunk lid hits her on the head every day before work. (The former owner SWORE that the car had no problems, and I asked him six different times and explained that my girlfriend's a waitress making fifty bucks a day and has no money for repairs.)

I actually took the guy to small claims for the lifter, since the service records showed he took it in twice for the problem and lied to me. The judge shot me down totally. He kept asking if I had a written warranty. The former owner even owned up to starting the car before we got there (so that the lifter would pump up and quiet down). The judge basically said it's a case of buyer beware, period.

Yeah, I still like the cars though. I like to think that most people are a little more honest, and it was just bad luck.