93 Sc400

creek

I just purcased a 93 SC400 with 60k miles and I called a local shop and asked them what should be checked at that milage and they said it was important to have the timing belt changed out because if it were to break it would ruin the engine. I am not sure if the timing belt was ever changed out on the car. Does anyone know how to check to see if the belt was changed out. Also is this shop telling the truth about changing the belt out at 60K or 5years. This car is well past the 5year point and now I'm paranoid whether or not to drive it.

If the timing belt was done at the dealership, you can take your VIN number to any dealership and they should be able to tell you if your 60K was done.

A normal 60K consists of new Fluids, Filters, Belts (including the timing belt), and water pump(might as well do it while the timing belt is out). Most cars nowadays usually have a 60K service done.

But, theres no need to be paranoid about it. The car is still drivable. A 60K is mainly Preventative maintenece.

Even if your timing belt snaps, I'm pretty sure the 1UZ-FE is a non-interference engine (someone might want to verify this for me) where if the timing belt breaks, the valves will never touch the top of your pistons causing pre-mature engine failure.

Just make sure to get to it when you have the time/money.

Tommy.

If the timing belt was done at the dealership, you can take your VIN number to any dealership and they should be able to tell you if your 60K was done.

A normal 60K consists of new Fluids, Filters, Belts (including the timing belt), plugs and wires.  Most cars nowadays usually have a 60K service done. 

But, theres no need to be paranoid about it.  The car is still drivable.  A 60K is mainly Preventative maintenece.

Even if your timing belt snaps, I'm pretty sure the 1UZ-FE is a non-interference engine (someone might want to verify this for me)  where if the timing belt breaks, the valves will never touch the top of your pistons causing pre-mature engine failure. 

Just make sure to get to it when you have the time/money.

Tommy.

i have a 92 sc 400 & i waited till 160000 miles to change the water pump,timing belts & tensioners. it should not hurt the motor on a pre1998sc400(98 introduced vvt) it will just strand you. the clue i looked for was a seeping of coolant from the water pump weep hole when the seals on it started to fail.this resulted in coolant on the garage floor. at this point i had the service done.

A local dealer quoted me $400 just to replace the timing belt! My 1996 SC400 just gone over 91500 miles; I might wait and save more money to do the water pump at the same time. Hopefully nothing will happen until then; I drive mostly highway so it might be easier on the belt...