Wiper Blade Replacement

ChrisD1

I need to replace the drivers side blade on a 97LS. I was going to replace the blade arm instead of replacing the inserts. I made several attempts to remove the existing blade arm but couldn't get it to budge.

Is there trick to removing it?

Does it make a difference if replacement is not OEM?

Thanks for any help.

I just replaced mine.........

the driver's side should have tab that can be flipped up.......then pull the entire assembly down and towards the hood...should come free.

the smaller pass. side didn't have this tab - I just rotated the assembly a little and pulled down again - ...

It worked just as you said. It needed a harder pull than I was willing to give it without reassurance.

One thing that might be worth noting...

The wiper arm cannot be raised all the way without coming into contact with the hood edge. My LS had paint damage at this contact point. I covered the hood edge with a heavy towel before removing the blade assembly to avoid further scraping of the paint on the hood and the wiper arm.

Thanks for you help 99lsguy.

Glad it worked!!!

:cheers:

I forgot to tell you I would run the wipers and then turn off the ignition key when they were at the top of the "swipe" - to freeze them at that point. This way it won't rub against the hood / paint :blink: and you can move the wiper arm easily...

Do this for the next time.

The towel is a good idea though! You can get a "touch up paint pen" for the hood edge.

Don't those little paint scratches & chips just bug ya :blink: - I've got my share! Minimal really, but I know where they all are :lol:

Welcome to LOC!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi wiper gurus!

I have an LS 400 1998, and was wondering if the driver wiper blade attachment had changed since ' 97 with the other improvements. I am having the devil-of-a-time trying to get the entire blade off to replace it . The mechanism is alien to me, and I have changed many a blade ! The passenger side was a breeze !

Help would be very much appreciated !

Dazed and humbled !

Hi again,

Towel was a great idea to avoid chips on hood edge with wipers up. Even in upright position , there's little play off the glass before you feel the arm pinching the towel to the hood edge.

Tried t0o remove by lifting a black plastic tab with 2 circular pins on the underside that fit into holes on metal blade arm, but no success, there's a square plastic assembly above the 'hook" of the hook arm that I can't figure.

Rain is on the way and the existing rubber is frayed. Need to replace soon. HELP!!

• 2 weeks later...

The blades are very easy to remove. Like one of the other posters suggested, turn on wipers with key in the accessory position then turn off the key when the wipers are pointed straight up. Grasp the top end of the rubber blade with some pliers and tug. Don't mess up the metal strips 'cause you'll need them for the new blades (at least I did). Then just slide the new blades in. The Lexus blades are coated with carbon to reduce squeaking. Something to keep in mind if your thinking about switching over to after market. Good luck.

it was raining really hard the other day, and i couldn't see :unsure: i stopped in to the local Pepboys, bought myself some bosch blades, pulled next door to the gas station and put them on in 10 mins...........

like everyone else said, just push the tab down and they come off....on mine you have to pop the hood to get to one of em. but thats a great idea to turn the wipers on, then turn the car off so they are stuck on the middle of the windshield, i'm gonna do that next time. :D

i tell ya u just don't realize how sweet new wiper blades are, when you have crappy ones, its just one of those things one can really overlook sometimes.

The rubber wiper blades on Lexus vehicles are difficult to remove and replace because they fit very tightly into the metal arms.

I have always found them much easier to remove if you remove the metal strips first. Grasp the end of one of the pieces of metal with a pair of needle nose pliers and pull it out. Often, when one of the strips is removed, the rubber insert will then come off quite easily.

Installing new rubber inserts works the opposite way. Put the rubber blade into position on the arm and then insert the metal strips.

it was raining really hard the other day, and i couldn't see  :unsure:  i stopped in to the local Pepboys, bought myself some bosch blades, pulled next door to the gas station and put them on in 10 mins...........

like everyone else said, just push the tab down and they come off....on mine you have to pop the hood to get to one of em. but thats a great idea to turn the wipers on, then turn the car off so they are stuck on the middle of the windshield, i'm gonna do that next time.  :D

i tell ya u just don't realize how sweet new wiper blades are, when you have crappy ones, its just one of those things one can really overlook sometimes.

Bosch is the Brand I put on too Silver..... :D