Alarm Chirping Device

Problem: 97 LX450 . The alarm chirping sound was getting fainter by the month until last week it stopped sounding altogether when the remote locking was activated. I followed the owners manual in reprogramming it several times (section under-Buzzer Off/On programming). This did not work, so I figured the chirping device was inoper. I have a FSM which does not have any service info on the alarm (probably for obvious security reasons).

Does anyone know where the chirping device and/or remote receiver device is located and how to troubleshoot it?

....and has anyone had to replace/repair?.....cost?

One more thing. I bought the vehicle pre-owned with 60k miles back in June. It did not have a remote lock/unlocking device, so as part of the deal, Lexus programmed a new one to give me. It has always required me to be within 2-3 feet of the vehicle to operate. Is this normal? Sometimes I have to hold it up almost against the driver's window for it to operate. I wouldn't think that a new remote battery would be so weak, but of course no one thought the Red Sox could pull it out.... I appreciate any feedback.

Chip

Mine sucks as much as yours does -- I have to be right next to the vehicle for my remote to work. New batteries, old batteries -- doesn't matter.

With my wife's 450, it works as far as 10 feet away, so I don't know why some are that way...but mine has always sucked.

My chirper is dead too. Has been dead for about a year now. I've learned to either watch the lights or watch the passenger side door lock or unlock. This isn't too difficult since I have to be right by the window anyways.

I never looked into fixing it. Unlike yours, mine didn't get fainter, it just stopped one day. I tried resetting like you did, but with no sucess.

Well, yesterday, literally after typing the post on looking for info, I went to pick up my children from school. When I got to school and locked the car, it chirped the loudest that it had ever done it since I bought it...However, several errands later, it never worked again.

I would really like to find the alarm chirping device(s) and receiver, because I want to 'assimilate them into my collective to add to my distinctness'.....sorry, that was an old Star Trek Borg line from years ago.

Any clue on where the device(s) is located. I wish I had looked for it while it was still chirping, to follow the sound.

Anybody have any friends/contacts with Lexus-Toyota service, that might would divulge info about the alarm device location?

I have the exact same problem as you describe.

When I first bought the truck, about a year ago, I had to buy a remote off Ebay, then program it. The chirp worked once or twice, but never again.

Also, Unless the planets are properly aligned, I have to be right next to the truck to get it to work.

If you find a solution, please post!

:cheers:

Dear Folks:

When you activated/ not activated or lock/ unlock (same time) try by pressing the top button (remote) right under touchin your chin.I always do that when i lock or unlock my 450 by pressing the top remote hittin/ touchin right under my chin.

The farest i can lock / unlock my 450 is range between 15-20 feet away from car.

This maybe sound stupid/ strange to you guys.. hey at least try it & let me know the results..

So once again when you lock/unlock press the remote againts your chin, the edge of the remote gotta touch your chin.

I did 'em in all the car with different remote & the results sometimes im surprised that i can lock/unlock from far distance.

:D

I've read about the remote to chin thing before, but thought to myself..."uh...no, no way could this work...", so I never tried.

Well this morning, I thought I'd give it a shot.

"well I'll be damned!" was the only thing I could say. It worked!

Normally, with my remote, I have to be right next to the truck AND have the remote in just the right spot for it to pick up. When I tried it this morning, I stood about 20 feet away from the 450 - pressed the button first w/o using the chin method and absolutely nothing. Pressed the remote to my chin and tried again and the darned thing unlocked!

I had to see it to believe it.

Thanks EnDLesS for bringing this up again.

Cheers.

No problem DougJohn2, its my pleasure that i can share my knowledge and experienced to others , thats what this forums all about.

Share, Knowledge & Positive attitudes.

By the way , so hows the Surf ( LC meets ) in Pismo Beach? Im sorry i just can't make it due to SEMA show in VEGAS i was helpin one of my buddy for LC aftermarket stuff there.

P.S: Try lock/ unlock from the remote by pressing the button 70-90 degree angle right below your chin.. hahahaaa you'll be surprised how far distance u can go to lock & unlock it~ Good Luck

:cheers:

Thanks, EnDLesS. I was truly suspicious, but amazed at your suggestion. I can now activate/deactivate the locks from 4 times the distance...approximately 25-30 feet away doing that "chin" thing. Also....very unusual, we got a blast of colder weather last week and since then the chirping sound has worked well and consistently.

Chip

Well, it was both. The chirping (activation notification) had slowly diminished in sound and consistency to the point of not working altogether. I also had a range problem of having to be within 4 feet of the truck for it to work. Now that the chirp is back, I will check the location you suggested or try and locate it by sound....there is no info in the FSM or online that I could find about the actual alarm device/receiver.

I've always had the problem with the range of the remote. I always have had to be extremely close to the truck for it to work -- but now I use the "chin method" and that issue is no longer a problem. Although...I do feel a bit silly doing it :)

My alarm chirper, for lack of a better term, stopped working a long time ago and has not restarted on its own.

As Chip mentioned -- two separate issues.

Dear Folks:

When you activated/ not activated or lock/ unlock (same time) try by pressing the top button (remote) right under touchin your chin.I always do that when i lock or unlock my 450 by pressing the top remote hittin/ touchin right under my chin.

The farest i can lock / unlock my 450 is range between 15-20 feet away from car.

This maybe sound stupid/ strange to you guys.. hey at least try it & let me know the results..

So once again when you lock/unlock press the remote againts your chin, the edge of the remote gotta touch your chin.

I did 'em in all the car with different remote & the results sometimes im surprised that i can lock/unlock from far distance.

really? won't we look strange doing that??? :whistles:

Yeah sometimes strange, after you got out the car and people look at it you holdin the remote button right under your chin.. :D but what da h*&LL... it works anyways, hey but you dont know other people look at you wondering probably this guy got some expensive alarm system . :D

The "chin thing" works great, but after having several people ask me what the heck I was doing, I found an alternative that is not so embarrasing.

point the remote at the palm of your hand and your fingers at your truck. Works about the same.

point the remote into your forearm and your arm "like saluting Hitler" at the truck, improves the range some.