Single "ping" Noise With No Warning Lights.....

knb53

Greetings,

I have a 1998 LS 400 that has recently started making a single "ping" sound for some reason. It is the same "ping" that you would hear if you were to leave your keys in the ignition while exiting the car, except that it makes just one "ping" rather than a series of pings, and there is nothing I can ascertain that would be causing it. It tends to occur in the first few minutes after starting the car.

No warning lights of any kind come on, the car runs fine, has had regular routine maintainence, etc.

Any thoughts or suggestions??

Thank you in advance,

Keith B.

I had an '98 LS400, but don't remember if it had this feature.......Could the "ping" be a temperature warning? On some cars I had, when the outside temperature approached feezing, a "ping" would sound to caution you about possible icy conditions. The warning was usually given not long after starting the car, when the outside temp sensor read 35 degrees or so.

Mike

Thanks for the replies.... I don't think this is a door or handbrake issue. Interesting thought about the temperature warning, though.... although it has not been anywhere near freezing yet, it is getting cooler here in the St. Louis area... It is the same ping one would hear with the door open. But all the doors are tightly closed. Maybe a bad sensor on the door?

If any others have thoughts, let me know... I will continue to read all with appreciation.

Kind regards,

Keith B.

Never! I was an E.R. doc for ten years... would be a sacrilage to drive without a seatbelt! :D

I also make sure others are buckled up, too.

Keep trying, guys.... we're bound to get to the bottom of it yet!

KB

Well, I have a new bit of information to offer to all you sleuths out there.... the ping seems to be occuring more regularly if I hit a bump, pull into a drive where I have to go over a curb, etc.

I'm wondering if this could be a short or something? And if so, is it the sort of short that I can leave alone as long as no lights are flashing and no smoke is coming out from under the dash, or do I need to do something about it? I know that sometimes these tiny electrical things can be hard to run down, especially if they aren't "doing" anything..... Thoughts?

Thank you again.

Well, I have a new bit of information to offer to all you sleuths out there.... the ping seems to be occuring more regularly if I hit a bump, pull into a drive where I have to go over a curb, etc.

I'm wondering if this could be a short or something?  And if so, is it the sort of short that I can leave alone as long as no lights are flashing and no smoke is coming out from under the dash, or do I need to do something about it?  I know that sometimes these tiny electrical things can be hard to run down, especially if they aren't "doing" anything..... Thoughts?

Thank you again.

your "low Fuel Warning" sensor is malfuntioning most likely, same thing happened on my 1995 contour. cost me $45 and about 3 hours to drop the tank and replace the sensor.

There are a list of options that can be toggled on/off .......etc - thru the dealer or indy shop. They hook a handheld into the lower (under) left dash area and change settings...........C-Best codes I think??

such as the audible sound for "low fuel", etc....

If it is something like this, non essential, they can turn it off for $30 or so...

Try unlatching your seatbelt while in the neighborhood (in a safe spot)...to see if that's the short.........Just an idea.

Or.....a toggle push in - on one of the doors is loose........and rattles on the bumps, causing the "ping"........

:cheers:

noticed today that my GS gives a single ping if you try and drive with the handbrake (do you call it the e-brake in the states?) on.

yes - silly I know :blush:

E-brake :lol:

Also older version was "hand brake". Lots of older cars had a left foot pedal instead of a hand lever so they were called "emergency brake" or "parking brake". I imagine there are other versions too, as we Americans are known for murdering the language. :lol::lol::cheers:

I got groceries today.......

Pulled to the drive up so they can put the sacks in the trunk.....

So I unlatched the trunk lid with the little finger latch on the Lower left dash area and heard the single "ping " sound....

Maybe that's where your short is coming from??

• 6 years later...