How Rare Are The Manual Trans In A Sc300?

Hey guys, this is my first post on here but I've been reading alot of the material on this site. I just recently discovered the sc300 comes in manual trans(i thought lexus was all autos except new is) and I've wanted one ever sense but havent seen any. This past week I found a 93 in my area and wanted to know how rare it was. The guys asking a little much: $7850 with 130k miles on it. What do you guys think? :cheers:

Hey guys, this is my first post on here but I've been reading alot of the material on this site. I just recently discovered the sc300 comes in manual trans(i thought lexus was all autos except new is) and I've wanted one ever sense but havent seen any. This past week I found a 93 in my area and wanted to know how rare it was. The guys asking a little much: $7850 with 130k miles on it. What do you guys think?:cheers:

It's very rare. I just bought one about a month ago with 155,xxx miles for $8,000. It's in perfect condition though.

aim%203.jpg

i work for carmax and one just happen to come through there... very hard to find, i suggest having a specialty shop do it...u can get the trans for 500-700$$, and the other componets for a lil more... expect to throw down 1800-2500 for the swap...or keep searching...good luck

Yeah, it is a rare car to come across. It took me a year to find mine, and it had 170k on it. I paid $6k for mine since it had problems.

Do an unlimited mileage search on autotrader. There's usually a couple of them in Cali and maybe Texas.

good luck

Excellent, thanks for the replys guys. I really only want manual and the 2jz for a single turbo upgrade so sc400 is out of the question. I'm taking a look at it today so hopefully I will be a new sc300 owner!!

Later, Ryan

Btw, I'll give mad props to anyone who knows what a chubacabra is.

Excellent, thanks for the replys guys. I really only want manual and the 2jz for a single turbo upgrade so sc400 is out of the question. I'm taking a look at it today so hopefully I will be a new sc300 owner!!

Later, Ryan

Btw, I'll give mad props to anyone who knows what a chubacabra is.

Goatsucker.

(Bloodsucker):geek:

Spelled Chupacabra.

What't the significance, anyway?

This kills me. I've always heard how "rare" the 5 speed 300's are, but I see 'em ALL THE TIME in the ads. And every ad claims that these are hard to find. If you watch autotrader as well as your local paper, you'll find one easily.

The thing is, I figure the stick car has been run a lot harder than the auto. And if you buy it from some hot rod kid, bet that the motor is toast. Another key, IMHO, is aftermarket wheels of any kind.

This kills me. I've always heard how "rare" the 5 speed 300's are, but I see 'em ALL THE TIME in the ads. And every ad claims that these are hard to find. If you watch autotrader as well as your local paper, you'll find one easily.

The thing is, I figure the stick car has been run a lot harder than the auto. And if you buy it from some hot rod kid, bet that the motor is toast. Another key, IMHO, is aftermarket wheels of any kind.

There were 782 SC300 5-speeds produced in 1995. That's direct from Lexus in response to my query regarding the rarity of my vehicle.

My dealer, in Tucson, has seen 2 5-speeds pass through this dealership since it opened (in '92 iirc). He knows of a third owned by a dealership owner in Cali.

So, yes, you can find them. There are a few thousand of them if you combine model years. There are some differences in the different models years, which a quick search can turn up, which makes the '95-'97 especially useful for those wanting a 6-speed upgrade. That plus other minor differences make the '95-'97 potentially the most valuable.

I have heard it said that the auto outnumbered the stick by 20 to 1. If this is roughly accurate, then that puts the 5-speed in the <5% bracket, which could be considered "rare" and "hard to find".

In any case, I am not getting rid of my 74K miles 95 SC3 5-spd for anything. There is an almost intangible quality to driving it that even the BMW M5 and 911 cannot replicate. The balance, poise, versitility, road feel, and control of the car are almost perfect in every way. The only thing its short on is raw power(esp at low end), but having the soul of a Supra means that problem only exists as long as I let it. ;)

Looked at the car the other day and the parking brake was broken(not worn but gone). Is this a sure sign that the owner has done a little drifting or does the parking brake cable break alot on these cars? Other than that, fuel guage broken, brake squeek, and a weird rattle coming from the trunk area. Are any of these serious because I think I'm gonna buy it. Let me know!

Thanks, Ryan

:cheers:

There were 782 SC300 5-speeds produced in 1995. That's direct from Lexus in response to my query regarding the rarity of my vehicle.

My dealer, in Tucson, has seen 2 5-speeds pass through this dealership since it opened (in '92 iirc). He knows of a third owned by a dealership owner in Cali.

So, yes, you can find them. There are a few thousand of them if you combine model years. There are some differences in the different models years, which a quick search can turn up, which makes the '95-'97 especially useful for those wanting a 6-speed upgrade. That plus other minor differences make the '95-'97 potentially the most valuable.

I have heard it said that the auto outnumbered the stick by 20 to 1. If this is roughly accurate, then that puts the 5-speed in the <5% bracket, which could be considered "rare" and "hard to find".

In any case, I am not getting rid of my 74K miles 95 SC3 5-spd for anything. There is an almost intangible quality to driving it that even the BMW M5 and 911 cannot replicate. The balance, poise, versitility, road feel, and control of the car are almost perfect in every way. The only thing its short on is raw power(esp at low end), but having the soul of a Supra means that problem only exists as long as I let it. ;)

I didnt think the tranny swap was that hard. Everything was bolt on except for making the hole for the shifter(which was easy since the tunnel was stamped for it), and then drilling two holes for the clutch pedal assy(easy again since it was already stamped). You also have to bridge two wires on the auto trans harness so you can start the car, but thats all of the non-bolt on stuff. Ive never done a toyota tranny swap before then, but it was still pretty easy.

i had to drive 5 hours to pick up my 96 sc300 5 speed w/ 90k on it. i called lexus and they said 232 manuals were made in 1996. someone please correct me if this is wrong but its what the lady from lexus said. i love my car more than my girls 97 bmw 528. its so much more fun to drive, but doesnt have as many gadgets as her car, ie, auto up and down windows, auto close sunroof, daul climate, etc. i think she jealous too. hehe. good luck on your search.

i had to drive 5 hours to pick up my 96 sc300 5 speed w/ 90k on it. i called lexus and they said 232 manuals were made in 1996. someone please correct me if this is wrong but its what the lady from lexus said. i love my car more than my girls 97 bmw 528. its so much more fun to drive, but doesnt have as many gadgets as her car, ie, auto up and down windows, auto close sunroof, daul climate, etc. i think she jealous too. hehe. good luck on your search.