Best Car For The Money!

There was an episode of car and driver this past weekend featuring the all time best sedan and I was surprised that the ES300 did not make their list! Although many high priced sedans made the list, the ES300 was not there! It seems as though they chose sedans that were very pricy and seemed kind of high maintence. I guess the ES300 is kind of a sleeper!!! If I had the money to spend, I think the Lexus ES300 is the best choice on the market! Any thoughts?

-Brian

There was an episode of car and driver this past weekend featuring the all time best sedan and I was surprised that the ES300 did not make their list! Although many high priced sedans made the list, the ES300 was not there! It seems as though they chose sedans that were very pricy and seemed kind of high maintence. I guess the ES300 is kind of a sleeper!!!  If I had the money to spend, I think the Lexus ES300 is the best choice on the market! Any thoughts?

-Brian

It depends on how you drive.

For some people, working around the lousy transmission/drive by wire system in the Lexus isn't a problem. If you're one of those people, it's a great value for the money.

If you are unable or unwilling to change your driving style to make Lexus happy, it's not as good a decision. The shifting and downshift hesitation are a severe problem - and IMHO a significant safety factor.

Personally, I wish I had bought the Infinity G35 instead of the ES330.

Do you mean the new G35? The one with six mini projector light beams in one headlight? I think the new Q45 is hot as well! I have to say, my wife and I just purchased a new Camry and it doesn't exactly drive like my lexus! My ES300 has a bigger engine, but makes better MPG, what's that all about? Anyhoo, what if you had 50K to spend, would you still buy a Lex?

Brian

p.s. I would. I have driven many cars! The only car I would have to think about is the Mercedes Benz sedan, but it is way over the 50K!!!! :cries:

Auto Mags don't really care for Lexus, not surprising it didn't make the list.

Less then a year ago C&D tested group of luxury sedans over $80K - S430, 745Li, A8(new), XJ8, Phaeton and LS430. LS won - 1st place. So, I guess they know about us.

B)

Oh they'll always win first place, but they still don't care for them. Read the actual reviews of the cars and they're always saying things like "Yet technically perfect the Lexus lacks this, although it won I would buy that etc".

because its a relatively newer line of cars as opposed to BMW, mercedes, porche... ect ect

lexus doesnt throw itself at car enthusiasts either.

I think there's more to it than that.

Most of the car magazines rate the cars with a very, very heavy weighting toward performance. Lexus tends to offer adequate performance, but nothing trendsetting. That's why the Acura TL and Infiniti G35 will consistently beat the Lexus in most car magazines - more HP.

Of the top of my head, I can't think of a single magazine that rates ride comfort as equally important (or more imprtant) as performance.

I wish there would be one magazine that would report about every category equally, not just performance. Not everyone buys their cars for performance. I think those other cars are great (BMW, Infiniti, Acura, etc.) but I would still prefer a Lexus over all of them, because of the things I can get from Lexus that I cannot get from the others.

Oh they'll always win first place, but they still don't care for them. Read the actual reviews of the cars and they're always saying things like "Yet technically perfect the Lexus lacks this, although it won I would buy that etc".

My favorite is 'bland styling'. Virtually every review I've ever read on the ES complains about it being boring.

Sorry, I want my car to get me from point A to point B in comfort and without any surprises. Boring is EXACTLY what I want.

I don't want my car to be a fashion statement. I looked at the Cadillac STS before I bought my ES and didn't even test drive it. What a ridiculous looking car..... (IMHO)

Tell you guys the truth, i believe the G35 sedan is a MUCH better buy than the lexus for my kind of driving. I would definitely trade my 2001 ES for the g35... maybe i'll get that car next. i'm thinking either g35 or bmw new 2006 3 series.

I enjoy the smooth ride of the lexus but at time, i just want to punch it on the streets, probbaly due to road rage.

as for C/D, they're not really that great, i follow a few automotive magazines and each have their own kind of editors... C/D has some old geezers

Many auto mag's don't say much about Lexus because they are generally so well built, predictable & reliable that they can't knock much except to give 'personal' comments that the car is boring or has no excitment. I have yet to read or hear any auto magazine (in print or on TV) complain that their Lexus ever broke down or had serious problems especially when they are added to the Magazine's 'test fleet'. Many other luxury vehicles however have been very problematic such as Jag's, Lincoln, Mercedes & the like. B)

:cheers:

Gee I don't understand the 'boring' label either. Being 'flashy' or showing more muscle or throwing more HP is easy for any car company to do. IMO, being most reliable and most quiet are difficult and worthwhile goals to achieve. I test drove a BMW and an Audi and sure enough they felt like I was driving on a 'duct taped' road with all the road hug/road feel present but that wasn't much of an excitement or luxury for me. Cruising anywhere between 0 to 100 mph and being able to ignore the road while listening to my favorite number on a Mark Levinson at high volume is more fun and luxury to me. And whoever said Lexus does not turn heads never owned one. Besides with whatever power (210 HP) that was available I didn't feel a need to add 20 or 30 more to it just for the heck of it. So this performance/excitement/fun differentiation is all bull. They say 'Its just salad days for Lexus in the luxury car market'. To that I'd add "Wait for another 10-15 years and we'll see who eats the cake at supper time!"

... and to this favorite one-liner from the naysayers ... "Lexus is great for people who want their car to get them from point A to point B in comfort without surprises" ... I'd say "But where is the surprise if the other cars breakdown while getting from point A to point B!"

I agree that the car mags seem to look at performance and flashy styles. But look at J. D. Powers survey of cars and customer satisfaction. Lexus was won it for the last 10 years. IMHO that's impressive. I used to own a BMW 528i for 20 yrs. I drove it 310,000 miles. It was a wonderful performance car. BUT not a luxury car. And not as reliable for repairs the the Lexus. It really boils down to driving styles and personal preferences. But for luxury, style, and reliability, I'm happy with my Lexus.