2001 Gs300

Just purchased a 2001 GS300 with 50K and have a few questions.

There is a smudge on the back side of the speedometer lens that I just can't ignore. Does anyone know how to snap the front bezel out to access the lens?? It's pretty thin, I'd sure hate to break it.

I was reading the manual and the maintenance schedule doesn't mention anything about replacing the timing belt, yet there is some discussion here about replacing timing belt. Do I replace it at 60K or when? If and when, I will be doing myself so if anyone can give me any "gotcha's" to watch out for, that would be great. I could use "gotcha's" for replacing spark plugs too.

The manual also mentions something about a flat key which I didn't get. How important is this?

Welcome and congrats on the new ride! :P Your first mission should you chose to accept it would be to buy a repair manual or beg GUY to post the repair procedures if he has them. I think the 1st gen were 60k and the 2nd gen was moved to 90k, but I would still replace at 60k. A belt and idler assembly only last so long, plus it's peace of mind. ONE important gotcha with our motors is NEVER wash the engine with a garden hose. Replacing plugs is a job in itself.

There is a smudge on the back side of the speedometer lens that I just can't ignore.  Does anyone know how to snap the front bezel out to access the lens?? It's pretty thin, I'd sure hate to break it.

Just grab a hold of that !Removed! and pull straight out and up. Put the steering wheel down and out all the way first. There's a plug with a tiny release catch just above the right guage. It is on the wire to the turn signal indicators. After you get the bezel off, you will still have to deal with removing the cluster, dissassembling and cleaning. Basically unscrew (4?) screws, pull from instrument panel, disconnect connectors. The transparent cover is screwed on the front, so you might be able to remove it without taking out the whole cluster.

VERY important: Use NON AMMONIA glass cleaner and a cotton (old tee shirt) cloth. Do not under any circumstances use any paper product. The scratches will bother you more than the smudge. While the meter cover may be made of polycarbonate, I'm not sure if it is. PC would be less likely to scratch but I wouldn't take the chance.

90K on the timing belt, probably a good time to do the water pump too. The flat key is just something to keep in your wallet.

Just grab a hold of that !Removed! and pull straight out and up. Put the steering wheel down and out all the way first. There's a plug with a tiny release catch just above the right guage. It is on the wire to the turn signal indicators. After you get the bezel off, you will still have to deal with removing the cluster, dissassembling and cleaning. Basically unscrew (4?) screws, pull from instrument panel, disconnect connectors. The transparent cover is screwed on the front, so you might be able to remove it without taking out the whole cluster.

VERY important: Use NON AMMONIA glass cleaner and a cotton (old tee shirt) cloth. Do not under any circumstances use any paper product. The scratches will bother you more than the smudge. While the meter cover may be made of polycarbonate, I'm not sure if it is. PC would be less likely to scratch but I wouldn't take the chance.

90K on the timing belt, probably a good time to do the water pump too. The flat key is just something to keep in your wallet.

Thanks, that's just what I was looking for, now I'll know exactly where to pry.

Got the smudge yesterday :)

Thought I'd detail the steps while it is still fresh in my mind.

Grab bezel by the ribs in between the displays and pull straight out to release 4 clips. Disconnect turn signal indicator wire harness.

Remove 4 screws to remove display module. Carefully manuever display module out of recess. If all you wanted was to replace a warning indicator light, this is as far as you would need to go.

Disconnect 2 more wire harnesses from rear to completely remove display module. To access backside of lens, remove 3 more screws in front and release 4 snaps on top and 2 on bottom to fold apart. The front and back of module is now only connected by flex circuit.

Total time was 20 minutes max to disassemble, clean and reassemble (only 15 if you don't drop a screw into steering column). The engineers did a great job making this modular, connectors can't be connected wrong, easily worth the effort. Told my wife I got the smudge which she replied "what smudge?" :angry:

Your pm box is full, can't send u somethin;)

There is a smudge on the back side of the speedometer lens that I just can't ignore.  Does anyone know how to snap the front bezel out to access the lens?? It's pretty thin, I'd sure hate to break it. 

I was reading the manual and the maintenance schedule doesn't mention anything about replacing the timing belt, yet there is some discussion here about replacing timing belt.   Do I replace it at 60K or when?  If and when, I will be doing myself so if anyone can give me any "gotcha's"  to watch out for, that would be great.  I could use "gotcha's" for replacing spark plugs too.

The manual also mentions something about a flat key which I didn't get.  How important is this?