Farewll

Travieso~13

Well ladies and gentelmen...I guess this is Good-Bye...This weekedn I parted out my '92 LS400 151K miles...I traded in for an '05 Chevy Malibu...everyone on here was really great...love that website the Lexls had, really helpfull...overall everyone here was really helpfull..maybe down the line I might just buy another Lexo...i got used to it...but this time i'll be sure to check it out very very carefully...

Thanks and Farewell...I'll stop buy from time to time...great website...

Travieso~13

I rented a 2005 Chevy Impala two weeks ago and drove it 900 miles. The Impala is supposed to be "above" a Chevy Malibu, but I found the Impala was a primitive automobile. The interior was made of cheap looking, feeling and sounding plastic and there was lots of engine and road noise. The Impala's of the 1960's were smoother, quieter and more richly appointed than this 2005 model was.

I have also rented many 2002 - 2004 Camrys while on business trips and I was delighted with how smooth, powerful and refined they were - almost as nice as a Lexus.

Hmm...Lexus LS400 to Chevy Malibu.

Those two cars shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence.

You'll lose more in depreciation in the first year of owning that '05 Malibu than it would have cost you to keep the LS400 on the road for at least 2-3 more years.

Well ladies and gentelmen...I guess this is Good-Bye...This weekedn I parted out my '92 LS400 151K miles...I traded in for an '05 Chevy Malibu...everyone on here was really great...love that website the Lexls had, really helpfull...overall everyone here was really helpfull..maybe down the line I might just buy another Lexo...i got used to it...but this time i'll be sure to check it out very very carefully...

Thanks and Farewell...I'll stop buy from time to time...great website...

Travieso~13

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOUR LS400 ????

I know how you feel. I parted with my LS as well a few weeks ago. I miss it though since I have been driving my mothers 1998 Oldsmobile. I am going to start driving my Pontiac tomorrow- as it is a much more comfortable car. I am still looking for a replacement for the Lexus, but taking my time. I may even POSSIBLY buy another Lexus in time, but with lower mileage. I am leaning toward a Camry or Accord for now- I have owned both and have had excellent luck with them. I agree about the Impalas- the 60s and 70s models (Caprice as well) are very soft riding and quiet cars. The Impala of current dates back to 2000, but the Malibu is all new for 05' so it may be even more refined. Actually, I was considering a 05 Impala a couple of weeks ago and have discovered that around here, a Malibu is selling higher than the Impala.

Hmm...Lexus LS400 to Chevy Malibu.

Those two cars shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence.

You'll lose more in depreciation in the first year of owning that '05 Malibu than it would have cost you to keep the LS400 on the road for at least 2-3 more years.

Yes, but his Lexus was like mine- getting old and needing lots of work. That is why I sold mine- I had to sell mine for $1000 less than I paid. If I had of spent on the repairs it needed - I would have had over $6000 invested in a 14 year old Lexus with 235K miles. Sometimes it is better to let them go and opt for a lower mile car- or at least one that is cheaper to maintain.

Good luck with your Malibu!

Thanks a lot for your responses, some of you, maybe im not as lucky to have as much money to keep the lexus as many people on here are. It was dripping wet from rain the other day...and no the sunroof wasnt open.The PS had just gone out, everytime I used the A/C I had a wet carpet not to mention the smell, the suspension was awfull and getting worse, might I add some kind of bushing or seal came off from somewhere in the suspension, when I pulled out of the driveway it was just there, thats when the clunking got even louder. I had some kind of air leak, as to where I could hear the raod noise, and the sound of a window open when i drove over 40mph, it was really anoying, the wind was coming trought dash vents. There was a sound in the engine, as if the lifters where about to come out. When i braked the car would wiggle from side to side, and when i depressed the brake it would do the same, "the brakes and rotors where fine, had them checked and I saw them personally...So I think thats pretty much about it....

Once again thanks to all....In the future I will defenitly buy another Lexus, but be more carefull what i choose, Im a Chevy Guy what can I say, just like you guys are Lexus people...You like what you like....But I will buy another lexus possibly a SC400 since it will be for fun only....Thanks

i dont understand how can one part with lexus to drive a malibu, once u driven a lex, especially the LS you cannot drive anything american, even with the same class. i'm gettin a 2005 mustang gt but i will still keep the lex, its gonna sit in the garage and i will drive it once in a while. i'm having a hard time lettin the legend go :( if i had space i would keep it as well but lex is here to stay, no questions asked.

i dont understand how can one part with lexus to drive a malibu, once u driven a lex, especially the LS you cannot drive anything american, even with the same class.

I agree. My thinking with cars is drive the best possible thing you can with the money you have to spend. If I were playing with $20k, the first thing to come to mind would be a 98-00 LS. If I were shopping for a SUV...new Explorer or used LX470?? I'd take the 470 anyday of the week. I don't need a new car smell to make me happy with a car; besides it'll be gone in about a month or two. I'm one of those people that is perfectly happy driving the same ole road scraper for 15 years at a time! :D

IMO, all of the problems you had with your Lexy could have easily been fixed by someone else with the money you spent on the way down the depreciation cliff(USA wrote an excellent article about the 'cliff!'). I could see how it would be hard to stomach spending probably $4k-$5k on a car that is 13y/o, but in return, the LS would have kept going on forever. But, I can completely understand your situation-you are a Chevy guy, so you wanted something with the bow tie on the hood, and you should drive whatever makes you happy. ;) Best of luck with the Malibu!

:cheers:

I agree, but I think he will be happy with the Malibu for a few years anyway, but I agree with you- since I have owned my first imported car, I have always kept at least one import. I have not been able to find anything I am happy with since I have sold my Lexus. I seen it today at Wal-Greens pharmacy where the new owner works. I pass by there everyday, so I am still able to at least see it. ;) I would have kept it and fixed the problems, but I was really getting annoyed with the dash "pops" and other rattles- which is something that really cannot be repaired.

Usually trying to fix rattles only leads to more rattles. I have heard owners of the 2002 Camry complain of this when they took their 02 Camrys in because of dash rattles- they came back out with new rattles. :rolleyes:

Anyway- I am still in the market for a new car, but for now I am driving my 89 Pontiac Safari- this is really when I miss my Lexus, because the WEAK 150 HP 307 V8 is much too weak for a 4500 lb full-size stationwagon. 0-60 on flat land is about 20+ seconds. :blink: . The cars gearing is so high, I think it would go 200 mph downhill. RPMs are only about 1400 at 65 MPH, so these car not performance cars. I have also been driving my mothers other car- 98' Oldsmobile, because she does not drive it that much, but it is too small for me. Today, I was considering the purchase of a like new 1992 Lincoln Town Car, but I keep remembering all of the oil burning Crown Victorias, which have the same engines, so I passed. I did not have time to look elsewhere today, so I am going car shopping Sunday afternoon. Still clueless as to what I really want- another low mile LS? Camry? Accord? Toyota pickup? Just have to see. I have read MSN auto reviews and there are too many owner complaints of 98-01 Accords (bad transmissions) and 97-01 Camrys (engine woes/interior quality) seems they are not the cars they used to be. My moms ex-sister-in-laws husband sells new Toyotas at a local Toyota dealer and he said he could get me a super deal on any new Toyota if I wanted one, but I am not too keen about buying brand new. I hate the thought of depreciation. I have found a 95' Camry LE, with low miles owned by a elderly lady that I am considering at this time, as well as a 1997 Lexus ES300. It has 145K, but that is much lower than my 235K LS.

Enjoy your Malibu!!

I wouldn't put a whole lot of stress into the Crown Vic and it's smoke issue since most of them are beat to hell by law enforcement, and then, Taxi driver's get to drive them into the ground the rest of the way during round two. Look at ebay...maintaianed TC's fetch a nice ammount even with high mileage-the engines and tranny's are strong. Refined? Not like a Lexus, but with decent maintinance, I've herad they last a very long time. Plus, most of them are babied and just a means of conveyance between church the retirement condo and Wal Mart for their elderly owners. I've driven '01 and '04 TC's, and I think both are great, comfortable American boats! I'm looking foward to next week when my Lexy is getting her door fixed because I'll get to mess around in a rental TC for a week or so. You say the Olds is too small...Lincoln's are quite the opposite which is my main reason for liking them(the magic carpet ride is cool too! lol)...especially the 03+'s and previous 98-02 with power pedals since ones without are kind of short on legroom.

Thanks Blake. I had actually re-considered the Town Car, but when I drove by, there was someone inspecting the car. I went on by. When I was passing by that car lot later that evening, the car was gone and another in its place. I am guessing it was sold. I phoned earlier in the day and he told me it was a 1-owner car (elderly lady) with the rare (for a early 90s TC) moonroof. It had 149K miles and they only wanted $1995. for it. She traded it in on a 1997 Town Car that they had.

Now I wish I had of bought it just for a extra car- for vacations, etc. I have always like the styling on the 90-97 Town Cars. I am really wanting to go with another mid-sized import car anyway, rather than a huge car such as this, but they are still nice cars in my opinions.

its sad to hear a member go...

good luck with your new car, hope the best for you.... your buy isnt even that bad, from what i can understand is that the American car markets are starting to become better in reliablity and durablity, not up to lexus par, but good enough to not be a nusiance.

maybe u can tell us how the car is after 50k of driving...

anyways, good bye and good luck stop by everyonce and a while.

-joe

When everything starts breaking and it costs a fortune to maintain, you are probably at a good point to bail. It is unfortunate that corporate Lexus doesn't back owners of their older cars. Even a website where you could ask a Lexus tech a question or two. But alas, that is corporate philosophy at it's best. Make more money.

I have had several GM products over the years and they are pretty dependable cars. Better yet, when they do break, parts are very reasonable and so is labor. I wouldn't mind finding a forum like this for chevyownersclub.com

Good luck

I certainly will keep in touch, I never will compare the quality of Lexus to that of a Chevy, but im happy, its in my budget, but i already have my eye on another 92 LS, my neighboors, they told me they would have sold it to me istead pf getting that crappy Lexus i got from the dealer...i should have known, they have it in preatty good condition, w/120k miles on it, id say they put about 20miles per week and that seems like a lot. Its in tip top shape and i get a long good with their son, they're Vietnameese. I dont know, i llike it and i told them to keep it for another year and a half, they said they're not interested in selling it, but they will make an exception with me....I told my fiance I want to buy it, and maybe i just might, probably late next year.

I saw a beautiful one owner LS400 1993 in autotrader.com The car being sold by it's original owner. 120K miles and I think around 7 grand.

These cars are budget busters, no doubt. After a few years in your Chevy you'll be ready again. Meanwhile, I know you'll be looking at every LS you pass on the highway.

Best of luck.

Denny

Ever since I bought my LS, I have also taken notice to all LS's on the roads. Seems as if around here- I see more of the 95-97s than any other year model, but I have seen several of each generation.

Don't we all notice every LS we see on the road.........:cheers: