Rx 330 Door Window Seal

cuda130103

I've noticed on my RX330 that the automatic window feature raises the window slightly too high and bows the window seal slightly(the area where the window comes out of the door) (I stumbled upon this problem by just bumping the window down and noticed the change in road noise) Bumping the window back down slightly, restores the seal and significantly reduces road noise coming through this door/ window area seal.

I obviously notice this most on the driver's side but the passenger side is the same way.

Lexus attempted a fix once, but only was able to destroy the door panel in the process. It would seem the closing stop could be adjusted,but maybe not.

Anyone have a similar problem? Fixes? TSB?

Thx in advance.

Cuda,

I've noticed the same issue with my 05 RX, too.  Is your RX 04 or 05 model?  I will talk to the dealer in my 1000mi checkup.

I have and 04' RX330. There is a redesign of the window seal that the tech ordered and installed for me on my vehicle. Both front windows were replaced and it is much improved.

I hope this helps

I've noticed on my RX330 that the automatic window feature raises the window slightly too high and bows the window seal slightly(the area where the window comes out of the door) (I stumbled upon this problem by just bumping the window down and noticed the change in road noise) Bumping the window back down slightly, restores the seal and significantly reduces road noise coming through this door/ window area seal.

I obviously notice this most on the driver's side but the passenger side is the same way.

Lexus attempted a fix once, but only was able to destroy the door panel in the process. It would seem the closing stop could be adjusted,but maybe not.

Thx in advance.

This is an 04 Model.

I have an 04 and I finally got it away from the wife long enough to check it out---Guess what I have the same problem and you can definetly tel the differance when you crack the window a hair! Im going to the dealer very soon

DO you have the Kit number handy----adman@nefco

I just went to my Lexus dealer and they looked into the Lexus TSB's database and nothing is mentioned about a window seal problem yet! So can you check and get me the part number to the window seal kits you got!

They may just be a running change with the same part number as previous.....

Thx in advance.

Thank you for your info. My 2004 RX330 also has that window seal problem. I am wondering that if installing WeatherFlector side window deflectors www.weathertech.com will keep the seal in place, and fix the noise problem???

I doubt that will fix the wind problem!

What I think it is, is the groove the windows goes into was cut too short so the window is pushing the seal out of place. The new seals will have a deeper groove in them allowing the window not to push up on the seal.

Definatly a problem that needs to be fixed......

adman@nefco::: Can you get us the part numbers for both windows please....Thanks :cheers::cheers:

I doubt that will fix the wind problem!

What I think it is, is the groove the windows goes into was cut too short so the window is pushing the seal out of place.  The new seals will have a deeper groove in them allowing the window not to push up on the seal.

Definatly a problem that needs to be fixed......

adman@nefco:::  Can you get us the part numbers for both windows please....Thanks :cheers:  :cheers:

I am going to the dealer for my 24000 KM maint on Monday Nov 08. I will ask my mechanic about the part and advise.

Thx in advance.

Wow! I've noticed the same thing on my 04. I thought it was just my ears. (Years of playing in bands tend to do that). It sounded like a window was open a crack. I lowerd the window a smidge and sure enough, it went away. Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho, Its off to the dealer I go.

j>

so i'm not going crazy!  we should start a support group or something :lol:

mine is an '05 and i've noticed the same thing.

I found the service report for the replacement "door and glass run"

Quote-

Condition: Wind noise heard

Cause: excessive clearance glass run

Correction: Replaced door and glass run

Part # QTY 1 68141-48030 Run,glass

QTY 1 68151-48030 Run,glass

Thats all I have . Apparently they made an improvement to the part. I noticed one small thing about the change. It appears that a small triangular piece of rubber is used as a wind deflector of some kind on the forward part of the Gasket.

It is not noticeable unless you look closely.

I hope this helps :)

There is also a replacement for the door checks. They tended to be noisy and not operate smoothly.

Alright, went to Lexus and the parts are on order! They are new revised part numbers too!!

The Lexus database still shows no problems of this as of yet, guess it takes a while to get the word out from them! GOOD--GOOD thing about these internet forums as they are wonderful.

My 330 wasnt on the hitlist for the Radiator recall either---

I found the service report for the replacement "door and glass run"

Quote-

Condition: Wind noise heard

Cause: excessive clearance glass run

Correction: Replaced door and glass run

Part #  QTY 1    68141-48030        Run,glass

QTY 1    68151-48030        Run,glass

Thats all I have . Apparently they made an improvement to the part. I noticed one small thing about the change. It appears that a small triangular piece of rubber  is used as a wind deflector of some kind  on the forward part of the Gasket.

It is not noticeable unless you look closely.

I hope this helps :)

There is also a replacement for the door checks. They tended to be noisy and not operate smoothly.

Thanks a lot, Admin, for providing the part numbers.

Are these two parts for left and right front doors?

I went to Lexus of Cerritos (CA) yesterday for my 1km check and told them about this problem. Their mechanic test drove the car himself and reported not hearing any abnormal noise. I drove a round with him trying to "show" him the problem; he still couldn't tell any difference. These part numbers will definitely shut them up, I hope.

I went to Lexus of Cerritos (CA) yesterday for my 1km check and told them about this problem. Their mechanic test drove the car himself and reported not hearing any abnormal noise. I drove a round with him trying to "show" him the problem; he still couldn't tell any difference. These part numbers will definitely shut them up, I hope.

Yep those are the part numbers for both driver and passenger.

Can you hear the differance?? Maybe yours is ok

• 3 months later...

Park Place Lexus fixes my 04 Rx330 front windows wind noise. The technician told me that Lexus provides the improved inside, bottom window seal. I check on the loaner, which also has that noise, and figure out that when the window is pushed up too hard, its bottom is pushed out, and leave a gap between window and the window seal.

Probably, the new seal is longer to not leaving a gap. If your Lexus dealer does not know about this fix, they did not work hard enough!

They also fix my dash rattle.

Park Place Lexus fixes my 04 Rx330 front windows wind noise. The technician told me that Lexus provides the improved inside, bottom window seal. I check on the loaner, which also has that noise, and figure out that when the window is pushed up too hard, its bottom is pushed out, and leave a gap between window and the window seal.

Probably, the new seal is longer to not leaving a gap. If your Lexus dealer does not know about this fix, they did not work hard enough!

They also fix my dash rattle.

UPDATE:

Here are the parts info from my invoice. I do not fully understand all the items, but your dealer should know them.

Dash Rattle Noise:

TSB#NV007-04

NV4012 Dash rattle repair '04 RX 330

NV4012A

NV4012B

NV4012C

NV4012D

NV4012E

NV4012F

Front windows wind noise:

TSB NV008-04

NV4013 Front door wind noise improv '04-'05 RX 330

68171-48032 Weatherstrip, Fr Door

68172-48032 Weatherstrip, Fr Door

NV4013A '04-'05 RX 330

Once more, .... Love my RX :D

• 1 month later...

I also had this TSB done on Tuesday 3/15/2005. But I still can hear the wind noise. If I tap down a little bit, the noise is gone. I also notice the window is still tilted like before if I roll it all way up. Does anyone get a second fix to make the noise gone?

TSB: NV0008-04

68171-48032 Weatherstrip, Fr Door

68172-48032 Weatherstrip, Fr Door

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this problem only with newer models of the RX? I have a 99 RX 300 and I've alwasy thought that the cabin wind noise was more than I would expect from a Lexus. I've tried the "lowering" trick, but haven't noticed a huge difference.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

are 330 doors the same as highlander doors?

My 04 highlander does the same thing

that is

as the window raises the last 1/8 inch or so, it bows the window glass out at the bottom, (right above the door metal) and when it bows out, the glass moves away from the inside door rubber seal.

you can then slide a credit carr thru the opening - thats where the noise then comes in. If you bump the window back down, the bottom of the glass moves back in toward the car interior and seals with the inside door seal.

anyone seen any documentation that toyota recognizes the problem?

• 2 weeks later...