Using Engine Breaking

monkey

:whistles:

Hi Guys

Have you ever used engine braking to slow down your heavy GX470 when approaching the stop signs or red lights? The manual says you can use the engine brak to reduce the speed.

Should I use the engine break to save the brak shoes? Or it could damage the transmission if used too much? Your inputs will be much appreciated

Monkey

I was always told that the brakes are for slowing or stopping a vehicle. When I had a manual transmission, I used to downshift but never with an automatic. In the long run, brakes will probably be cheaper to replace than a transmission if it ever gets to that point. Interestingly enough though, if the brakes are applied while going downhill on the ES330, the transmission will downshift automatically.

I frequently use the Drive to "4" on the shifter to slow me down when driving around 35 to 40 when I need to slow to the speed of traffic, especially when going down slight desents. I find this much easier than using the brakes as well as smoother. I would find it hard to believe that this would have any bearing on the aging of the transmission.

Also, when going down steeper hills, when you apply the brakes, the computer seems to have a feature that keeps them on until you press the accelerator. This keeps the vehicle from running away and eliminates the need to keep tapping the brakes. At first, this was a surprise, but now it is kind of nice.

I frequently use the Drive to "4" on the shifter to slow me down when driving around 35 to 40 when I need to slow to the speed of traffic, especially when going down slight desents. I find this much easier than using the brakes as well as smoother. I would find it hard to believe that this would have any bearing on the aging of the transmission.

Also, when going down steeper hills, when you apply the brakes, the computer seems to have a feature that keeps them on until you press the accelerator. This keeps the vehicle from running away and eliminates the need to keep tapping the  brakes. At first, this was a surprise, but now it is kind of nice.

Actually the GX is not holding the brakes while descending, it is doing the same thing that GS400Jon says his ES does. It downshifts the tranny. I really enjoy this feature when towing my snowmobile down from Lake Tahoe.