Brake Pad And Rotor Sizes?

I am hearing squeking from the brakes, whenever I push lightly.

I am not sure if it the front or rear, and I do not know if it is the pads or rotors.

Can someone tell me the minimal sizes for the front and rear pads, as well as the front and rear rotors?

I am going to have a look this weekend, and I want to know what needs to be changed, and where.

Also, this is my first brake job that I am doing on my 1992 ES300. I have changed the rotors on my 90 Mercury Cougar. Is there anything of note that I should be aware of before or while I am checking the brakes? I do not have a repair manual, as I am pretty confident in my skills, but I am not sure how much more complex these brakes will be as compared to my old Cougar...

Thanks,

Brian

i actually have no clue on the brakes. the last time my brakes were done was when my dad had them, and they're in perfect condition, so i don't have to worry about them at all. but sk should be around soon to help you out. he should be able to take care of this one.

most brake rotors will have the min thickness on the inside diameter

squealling could be anything

and unless you have a vernier caliper to check for thickness (since a ruller will not work)

it will be hard to tell especially since you have to machine the rotors and make them true again

but the brakes are easy to remove and reinstall

Sk- what about the pads. I think it may just be the pads needing to be replaced. Do you know what the minimum width is for those? Or does it depend on the brand/manufactuer?

When I bought the car, in late April, the front and back rotors were 5 mm and 7 mm respectively. I am not sure if they have worn down to the limit yet. I think the guy at the dealership said the min. was 3 mm. But I know it is coming from the back, so I know it is not the rotors, because I would hear the front before I would hear the back ones.

if it is coming from the back (before you shell out money for pads that may not be the source of you squeal) have the e-brake checked and cleaned.

Lex uses a drum in disc system on the e-brake. It is inside the bulbous hub on the rear wheels. If the e-brake was not used routinely by the previous owner and by you, it will build up rust, oxidation and dirt. This can be the noise you hear.

Any brake shop (Midas, Speedy, etc can do the cleaning and should only be around $50-75 US.

If that is not it, then start looking at pads. The squeal may also just be pad vibration if the anti-squeal grease (blue stuff) has worn or washed off. Easily reapplied.

It may also be that the rotors have glazed over or are starting to glaze. You can do a simple cleaning with brake cleaner and paper towels with each wheel off. That may only be a temporary solution. Best solution is replacement or turning the current ones.

Lastly, it is not uncommon for metallic pads to give a slight squeal when the pedal is lightly or first applied, but this should go away if heavier pressure is applied.

good luck.

steviej

one easy thing to do is

go to midas or speedy

have them give you a free brake inspection

and tell them you will call to book an apointment

and just use there guidelines for replacment get the parts needed and replace

all the guess work done for free

and you will get to learn by seeing what a "needs to be replaced part" on your car looks like for next time