Comfortable Seats

redhawks2

I have owned a '90 LS400 for about three years and always thought the front sets were quite comfortable...not so my wife. I was only recently informed that she thought the seats were barely adequate (suffering in silence as they often do). I know this is terribly subjective but are the gen II seats more comfortable than gen I? or, is there another model I should be looking at? She has a bad back and likes to be cradled in a seat much like a recarro racing seat. I may have a dilema here as I wouldn't mind moving up to a gen II LS400. Any thoughts, subjective or otherwise on this? :huh:

:cries: I am so with you on the seat bit that I want to follow this forum with you.

I had an original 90 LS and swore those seats were fantastic. I was without a Lexus for a few years and just had a chance to buy another '90 so I did.

It only has 85,000 miles but the seats seem to be FLAT or something. Nothing Like I remember ??? Is it me or is it the seats? I have a bad back just like your wife and really need to do something here.

Good luck to you in getting good responses!

Ron Johnson - Thousand Oaks

I have owned a '90 LS400 for about three years and always thought the front sets were quite comfortable...not so my wife. I was only recently informed that she thought the seats were barely adequate (suffering in silence as they often do). I know this is terribly subjective but are the gen II seats more comfortable than gen I? or, is there another model I should be looking at? She has a bad back and likes to be cradled in a seat much like a recarro racing seat. I may have a dilema here as I wouldn't mind moving up to a gen II LS400. Any thoughts, subjective or otherwise on this?  :huh:

DEAR, MR. RED

TRY "LS430". YOU WILL LOVE IT.

I know that some describe the first gen LS seats as a bit of a trampoline affair, and I would agree. I had the seat repadded in my 92 at a very low mileage (previous owner must have been a big guy). The seat is now acceptable for me (six foot, 210 pounds of lean green fighting machine.....) and my wife thinks the seat is great. I did test drive a nice 96 LS and found those seats far more comfortable, which is why I am selling my 94 Camaro (which has superb seats by the way, but is a low slung two door). I am actively searching for a 96-98 LS for me, and will have two of the things hopefully in the next month or so.

Your wife would love the seats in the Camaro - very form fitting, warm, and snug.....make me an offer?

I never could get at all comfortable in the front passenger seat of the 90 LS we had but thought the drivers seat was fine. The 90-92 LS front passenger seat lacked height adjustments for the seat cushion and did not have an adjustment for lumbar support. The front of the passenger seat cushion was way too low for me to be comfortable. Seat cushion height and lumber adjustments on the passenger seat were made standard on the LS beginning with the 93 model year.

Apparently others thought the passenger seat was uncomfortable too. The local Lexus dealer bought driver seats from RHD LS400's from a Lexus dealer in the U.K. and installed them in 90-92 LS. He wanted a whole lot of money to do it though.

The seating position in the early LS400 seemed much lower than in the later model years. I felt like I was sitting "in" the drivers seat of our 90 LS but "on" the seat of our current LS.

The best thing about having a more adjustable passenger seat in our current LS is that I now frequently ask my wife to drive and I relax in the passenger seat. She almost never drove the 90 LS since I couldn't stand the passenger seat.

i personally think the seats in my car are very comfy............

but a good buddy of mine (has a 91 LS) called me the other day asking the same questions you all are asking about the seats,,,,,,,,,inquiring that they are really uncomfortable and they hurt his back

he wanted some suggestions for a more fitting seat........one similer to a racing seat or something of that nature (that molds to the body)....... i told him it would be very expensive to do, but he said money was not a problem......i also said that a seat of that nature would not look good in a LS400, and he agreed..........

so i gave a suggestion of getting a seat of that nature and wrapping it in matching leather, and we both thought that might be a good resolution. also maybe a later Gen model seat would be more fitting to his needs, although it woulnt' be plug and play, i could get it to work..

i told him to give me a week or so to research this topic and i would get back to him with a solution.......so i will do my part, and if any of you guys find out anything b/f i do, or have any other suggestions, just post it or send me a PM.

I have '91 and I think the seats are horrible. For me, the lower part of the seat is too short. They also don't hold up very well. I had my drivers seats re-padded for $175 and that helped a lot. The pass seat is like a marshmallow.. reminds me of a MB seat. The Gen II seats are much bigger and better...

Bob

It really depends on the person. I find the seats in my ES really comfortable but my fiance doesn't. A line from the old !Removed! Van !Removed! show "Problem with bucket seats is everybody has a different size bucket".

I fit my 93' perfectly especially with the tilt wheel, it feels like it was built just for me. :P

As for the seats being comfortable and soft, they are 'not.' They are hard, and my leather is soft also. The leater seats in my 92' Legend are much softer and more comfortable. But, I can never position the seats in the Legend to where I feel comfortable.

So, my only complaint is that the seats in the Gen. I are not soft.

:unsure: Am tracking this Seat topic as I love my 90LS but hate my seats!

I read that some you have taken it somewhere for better padding? some of you have tried to install later model seats? etc etc. Will a later model LS seat fit?

I am very serious about upgrading my seats, at least the driver's. I am REALLY looking for a good solution. Yes money is always a concern but if, in relation to things, it is not too bad, I will go for it.

Appreciate any serious solutions!@

I only have 87000 miles and am not fat so those are not my problems. I just think the original materials broke down too early. My car was one of the very first imports to the US back when!

Thanks in advance for any help

Ron Johnson

ronsadvice@aol.com