Read Diff Lock

pemarsh

When should you lock the rear diff??

What is the advantage (in simple terms) of having this feature??

Is it ok to lock it when dringing at highway speeds in heavy rain???

Little info on this in the manual.

No, don't lock the diff on pavement. Read the link below, it's a very good explanation of how to use your diff locker.

http://www.safari4x4.com.au/80scool/george...iffs/diffs.html

don't lock it on pavement. it might break something and...it would suck when turning ;)

Do read the write up provided, it's good info.

basically, you'd lock the rear diff if your in a situation where you have a rear tire spinning and you can not proceed -- if you're really stuck. Some prefer to lock the rear diff in anticipation of encountering a mud hole or other obstacle which might cause a person to get stuck.

It's used for more serious off road situations or if you're stuck bad (although, if you're stuck really bad, locking the rear diff might not help).

You have to be in 4low to engage the rear diff -- which means that IF you did this on pavement, you wouldn't be able to go very fast...

Same with the center diff.... no locky on pavement. Although the LX 450's do not come with this switch from the factory, I'm not sure if any of the LX 470's may have the CDL switch installed from the factory. My brothers 100 series LC has the factory installed switch, which kind of suprised me. Like many that own them (I presume) he didn't have a clue what it was for or when to use it.

Rookie.

Cool...understand it much better now....except for one point---above someone wrote you have to be in 4LO to lock the rear diff....is this right??  On my 2004 LX470, I just press the switch, and it locks.

Is it possible you are confusing locking the rear with locking the center differential? The CDL is a switch you press, whereas the front and rear lockers you turn a knob to engage, that is if you have front and rear locking differentials, which was optional and the majority of these vehicles do not have.

The LX 450's did not come with a center diffential lock switch (at least in the US)from the factory as the 470's did. Therefore the way you lock the center diff. is by shifting into 4-Lo. You can buy the CDL switch from Toyota and install it (easy to do, they're already pre-wired for it, just plug and play). With the CDL switch, you have the capability to lock the center diff. in either 4-Hi or 4-Lo. And as we all know ( :D ), by doing the pin 7 mod. you add the capability of shifting into 4-Lo without the center diff. locking.

I do believe you have to have both of these vehicle's in 4-lo to lock the rear and front differentials (if you have front and rear lockers that is).

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about the front and rear lockers being an option for the 470's. I don't think they came with that standard.

:cheers:

Rookie

• 2 weeks later...