What Was The Reason For Tire Brand Change

gage

i noticed that the 2004 lx 470 have dunlops on them now instead of michelin. does any one know why the change was made. i assume the dunlops are cheaper? buy the way the michelins are awesome. how many miles will the michelin tires and the brakes last before they need to be replaced?

I asked my dealer yesterday that very question...."some get dunlops, some get michelin" is what i was told.

I have driven both on a Sequoia...thought the mich. cross terrains were actually much more quiet and more aggressive.

Just my opinion...

When its time to change these tires, Ill be getting michelin. For whatever reason, dunlop just does not seem to have the reputation...dont know why though...maybe its unfounded.

not a big deal. if it were me, I'd keep the dunlops until they wore down, then switch to michelins. assuming I'd be the "typical 470 driver", I'd get the michelin cross terrains.

knowing that I'm not the typical 470 driver, I'd get either the nitto terra grapplers or the goodyear mtrs. :D

not a big deal.  if it were me, I'd keep the dunlops until they wore down, then switch to michelins.  assuming I'd be the "typical 470 driver", I'd get the michelin cross terrains.

knowing that I'm not the typical 470 driver, I'd get either the nitto terra grapplers or the goodyear mtrs. :D

Never heard of that Nitto Terra tire. Is that an ulta high quality tire????

In Australia the LX470 and the GX470 come standard with Dunlop Grandtrek AT22 and AT20 respectively.

Recommended for 70% on road and 30% off road the AT22 wear a lot better and ride and handle much better than the previous Grandtreks (no suffix) fitted to the 2002 LX470.

I got < 40,000 kms from the previous 2002 Grandtreks and had the rear brake pads changed at the 40,000 kms Service.

Currently have just over 50,000 kms on the current Grandtreks AT22s and had the rear brake pads changed at the 40,000 kms service.

Sydney, Australia roads are smaller and have a lot more turns. No freeways to speak off at all. Brakes, will last forever if you never used. :D

i noticed that the 2004 lx 470 have dunlops on them now instead of michelin. does any one know why the change was made. i assume the dunlops are cheaper? buy the way the michelins are awesome. how many miles will the michelin tires and the brakes last before they need to be replaced?

all i know, dunlops are cheap. michelin will get u more miles (brakes will depend on how u use it). so far i've got 10/32 on my Gx which has michelin cross terrains. original is 11/32 and i've got 22k on it! my previous Rx300 had goodyears, were more than half way at 25k! :rolleyes:

all i know, dunlops are cheap. michelin will get u more miles (brakes will depend on how u use it). so far i've got 10/32 on my Gx which has michelin cross terrains. original is 11/32 and i've got 22k on it! my previous Rx300 had goodyears, were more than half way at 25k! :rolleyes:

i don't understand what 10/32 & 11/32 means.

It's the measurement of tread depth in inches. 10/32 of an inch...11/32 of an inch...etc.

Completely bald tires would have 0/32 of an inch of tread. The rule of thumb is to replace tires when they have around 1/32 or 2/32 of tread -- but that's too close for me :)

It's the measurement of tread depth in inches.  10/32 of an inch...11/32 of an inch...etc.

Completely bald tires would have 0/32 of an inch of tread.  The rule of thumb is to replace tires when they have around 1/32 or 2/32 of tread -- but that's too close for me :)

yeah, i would replace mine at 45k. remember, i've got 10/32 at 22k! :whistles: ;)