1996 Lx 450 Tune Up

jaz

I want to do a tune up on my lx450. It looks like it should not be a problem but just wanted to get some pointers. When I time it is there anything I should know, such as vacum hoses and such. I will be replacing spark plugs, distributor cap & Rotor, I am not sure about the wires though. I have 99,000 miles on it now. Also I put on a K&M air filter and it was smaller than the regular air filter, is this okay? Thanks for any input.

When I time it is there anything I should know, such as vacum hoses and such. 

jaz-

I don't quite understand this first question. If you're talking about engine timing, I'm not sure what the connection with vacuum hoses you're asking about. Have you purchased an FSM to know how to short out the ECU when checking/setting timing? Please clarify.

Have you tested the resistance on the spark plug wires? If any are above 25kohm, then toyota says to replace. With your mileage, you're probably not to far from going ahead and replacing, if not now then at the next tune-up.

Don't know much about the K&N filters. Most discussion I've seen about them recommend staying with OEM.

Rookie

I want to do a tune up on my lx450.  It looks like it should not be a problem but just wanted to get some pointers.  When I time it is there anything I should know, such as vacum hoses and such.  I will be replacing spark plugs, distributor cap & Rotor, I am not sure about the wires though. I have 99,000 miles on it now.  Also I put on a K&M air filter and it was smaller than the regular air filter, is this okay? Thanks for any input.

When I time it is there anything I should know, such as vacum hoses and such. 

jaz-

I don't quite understand this first question. If you're talking about engine timing, I'm not sure what the connection with vacuum hoses you're asking about. Have you purchased an FSM to know how to short out the ECU when checking/setting timing? Please clarify.

Have you tested the resistance on the spark plug wires? If any are above 25kohm, then toyota says to replace. With your mileage, you're probably not to far from going ahead and replacing, if not now then at the next tune-up.

Don't know much about the K&N filters. Most discussion I've seen about them recommend staying with OEM.

Rookie-

On some other vehicles A while back someone had told me I had to disconnect a vacuum hose to get the correct timing reading. I have not yet purchased the FSM but I guess I really need to. How do I test the resisitance on the spark plugs?

Rookie

On some other vehicles A while back someone had told me I had to disconnect a vacuum hose to get the correct timing reading. I have not yet purchased the FSM but I guess I really need to.  How do I test the resisitance on the spark plugs? 

Rookie

The procedure for checking the timing requires jumping the ECU. You need the FSM or Chiltons to know what terminals in the ECU need to be jumped. You can do this with a paperclip. There is no mention of removing any vacuum hoses.

You check the spark plug resistance by using an ohm meter. Unplug the wires at the distributor cap and plugs ends and check the resistance across the ends. The resistance will increase as you go from number 1 to number 6 (as the wire lengths increase). As mentioned above, if any are over 25 kiloohms they should be replaced. Chiltons recommends any over 15 Kohms as cause for replacement. My number 6 was 18. I'm still running it.

Rookie

On some other vehicles A while back someone had told me I had to disconnect a vacuum hose to get the correct timing reading. I have not yet purchased the FSM but I guess I really need to.  How do I test the resisitance on the spark plugs? 

Rookie

The procedure for checking the timing requires jumping the ECU. You need the FSM or Chiltons to know what terminals in the ECU need to be jumped. You can do this with a paperclip. There is no mention of removing any vacuum hoses.

You check the spark plug resistance by using an ohm meter. Unplug the wires at the distributor cap and plugs ends and check the resistance across the ends. The resistance will increase as you go from number 1 to number 6 (as the wire lengths increase). As mentioned above, if any are over 25 kiloohms they should be replaced. Chiltons recommends any over 15 Kohms as cause for replacement. My number 6 was 18. I'm still running it.

Rookie

Rookie

Thanks for the info.

Rookie

My 97 LX450 179K Tune Up~

Just basic maintenance/ Routine,

- Spark Plug Wire

- Bosch Platinum +4

- Drive/ Serpentine (3) Belts

- JAOS air Filtercharged

- 7/8 Quarts Mobil 1 Synthetic 10W-30 & 15W-50 / Genuine Toyota oil filter.

- ATF Synthetic Fluids

- Castrol Synthetic 75w-90 Gear oil

- Fuel Filter

- Car Battery check up

- Toyota AntiFreeze -red ( with 2 bottles redline waterwetter mixed) 50/50

drinking water ~am i crazy heh? but yeah to prevent rust. :D

- Reflush Brake Fluids

I guess thats about most i cant think of any more than the list.