How To : Timing Belt & Water Pump

Then just install everything in the reverse order that you removed them...to make lining up your camshaft timing pulleys easier later, make sure the installation mark on the timing belt and crankshaft line up like this:

102_0287.jpg

When installing the belt to the camshaft pulleys do the left head cam first, do the same with the right head cam then install the tensioner. Once you're done installing your timing belt, turn your crankshaft from TDC to TDC stopping on the "0" mark just to make sure your camshaft pulleys line up with the marks on the engine. Install everything in reverse then fill up with coolant and top off with ATF if needed.

(I listed the torque specs for each part below each picture)

• 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Then just install everything in the reverse order that you removed them...to make lining up your camshaft timing pulleys easier later, make sure the installation mark on the timing belt and crankshaft line up like this:

102_0287.jpg

When installing the belt to the camshaft pulleys do the left head cam first, do the same with the right head cam then install the tensioner. Once you're done installing your timing belt, turn your crankshaft from TDC to TDC stopping on the "0" mark just to make sure your camshaft pulleys line up with the marks on the engine. Install everything in reverse then fill up with coolant and top off with ATF if needed.

(I listed the torque specs for each part below each picture)

:cheers::pirate: :chairshot: :censored:

I tried to email you but it said I wasn't allowed.

I have the timing belt lined up with the dot on the crank shaft, the cam pulleys, and mark on the engine for the cam pulleys. I don't understand how many times I have to rotate the crank shaft to go from TDC to TDC to check if the marks on the timing belt line up again. I tried rotating the crank shaft until the line on the timing belt made a full rotation and got back down to the crank shaft but then then it didn't line up any more... One thing I noticed is that your TDC is directly below the crank shaft and mine is a little to the right (see pic). Thank you for any help!

P4180120.jpg

P4180121.jpg

That mark on the lower portion of the crankshaft sprocket isn't the TDC mark. That mark is to make your life easier when it comes time to align the pulleys. The TDC mark on that sprocket is visible/located on the top. Don't worry too much about getting the marks to line up with the marks on the belt right now. The important thing is that the marks on the camshaft pulley's and crankshaft, line up with the marks on the engine. Are they aligned?

That mark on the lower portion of the crankshaft sprocket isn't the TDC mark. That mark is to make your life easier when it comes time to align the pulleys. The TDC mark on that sprocket is visible/located on the top. Don't worry too much about getting the marks to line up with the marks on the belt right now. The important thing is that the marks on the camshaft pulley's and crankshaft, line up with the marks on the engine. Are they aligned?

Do you have a picture of the TDC mark on the sprocket and the engine? I'm pretty sure the marks on the camshaft pulleys and engine are lined up; you can see that in this picture marked in red, right? Thanks so much for trying to help! I just ordered Chilton's Import Car Repair Manual 1989-1993 so that should help me too :cheers:

lexuscamshaftmarks.jpg

• 2 weeks later...