'97 Lx450 Power Steering Fluids

EnDLesS

Does anyone know how to reflush LX450 power steering fluids?

Do u guys know where the power steering fluids drain plug?

Also how many bottle requires to refill back?

Do u have recommendation on power steering reflush/refill or maybe any good recommendation on that?

Thanks

:rolleyes:

First, read this:

link to ps flush discussion

About half way down is a step-by-step accounting of what needs to be done.

Then, read this:

another link discussion ps fluid replacement

it might be helpful

And if you're not busy on Nov 5-7, consider going to Surf-n-Turf in Pismo Beach. It should be good fun -- all types of Land Cruisers -- a few LXs in attendance as well (last year there was one other LX besides mine :) )

Have fun with the fluid flush.

Does anyone know how to reflush LX450 power steering fluids?

An uncomplicated, risk free, method is to buy a 7 foot long piece of 1/2 inch outside diameter piece of vinyl tubing from a hardware store and suck out as much old fluid as you can from the power steering fluid reservior, measure the amount removed, then add back the same amount of Dexron III automatic transmission fluid.

Drive around the block and repeat the suck & refill procedure for a total of 6-7 times. Within an hour you'll have most of the fluid replaced which is sufficient.

All the "flushing" techniques involve removing the likely brittle and cracked return hose, starving the power steering pump of oil for a second and other hassels like accidentally getting air and dirt into the system. More time consuming and more risk of componet damage, plus the expense of

replacing the cracked and brittle power steering hose that would otherwise last 30 years if not touched.

All the "flushing" techniques involve removing the likely brittle and cracked return hose...More time consuming and more risk of componet damage, plus the expense of replacing the cracked and brittle power steering hose that would otherwise last 30 years if not touched.

You really can't be serious???

If a hose is brittle and cracked, I'd rather replace it when I have time -- at home, rather than have it crumble on me while on a trip!

And...expense? It's a hose. A rubber hose. Not at all expensive. If you ever see a hose that looks like it needs to be replaced, it's always better to do it when you have time, not when you're on the side of the road.

Monarch, I'm not sure what kind of maintenance you do on you LS, but I sure as heck wouldn't let you near my LX if that's the way you work!

Thanks DougJohn:

When i red the whole links you attached, it seems not easy to reflush and also air may be trapped in the system.. just lil complicated, But thanks the whole information it very helpful and add to my knowledge.

Anyways i took it to Toyota dealers had them reflush and refill with the new fluids called M.O.C also dealers had special machine to suck the whole power steering fluid out so far until now - its okay.

Toyota dealers charged for $27 for the fluids also $72- labor , plus $3 tax = 102.00

I know damn , ripped off but what the hell.. done it in 1hr n 45 mins.

About the Surf-Turf Pismo Beach sounds interesting, i need to see my schedule

but i already check the trip from LA is about 188 miles ( one way )

If nothin come up with i may go there... with few my LC80 buddies... ;)

Well..

:cheers:

getting the air out of the system for the PS is not too difficult, just a little tedious. per the FSM, you get the front end on jack stands, start the engine, remove the PS resevoir cap and turn the steering wheel (full lock to lock) about 50 times. this should work out any air you have in the system - you'll see the bubbles in the resevoir and top off with ATF or PS fluid (which ever you're using). If you find the PS pump "groaning" you may want to do this.

I had my PS pump replaced under warranty by Lexus and they didn't do a good job of working the air out -- I had to do it myself not too long ago.

If you can make it to S-n-T be sure to stop by and say hey. I'll be with a large group of 80 series rigs -- mine'll be the LX with no flares/body panels and black bed liner on the sides. We can knock back an adult beverage or two.

I don't think the method I used when doing mine was in either of the threads Doug posted, but I found it to be a very simple and controlled method that didn't introduce air into the system. It went something like this:

1) Put the front axle up on jack stands. Remove the return line to the PS reservoir, then plug the open nipple off the PS reservoir with an foam ear plug or similar.

2) Using a brass barbed connector, splice some clear plastic tubing (Home depot or the likes) to the end of the PS return line you removed. Run tubing to a plastic jug.

3) (ignition off) Turn steering wheel stop to stop. Then fill the PS reservoir back up. You should get a nice controlled drain into the jug as you turn the steering wheel. Watch the PS fluid in the reservoir. You don't want it to run to low and introduce air into the PS system, or you'll need to run through the bleeding procedure Doug described. You can watch the fluid run through clear tubing. When color matches the ATF your putting in, you're set. IIRC it took me two quarts to completely flush.

Please speak up if any of you see anything wrong with this, but it worked great for me.

:cheers:

Rookie