Larger Door Speakers For Gs

Yup - I got 6.5 inch MB Quart components in the front and 6.5 inch Kickers in the back. Sounds superb using the stock head unit, sub and amp.

You lose some sound voulme, as the stock speakers are 2 ohms and most replacament ones are 4 ohm - but the lack of distortion at higher volumes more than makes up for it. Losing the stock passive crossover helps a lot too. Most of the distortion on the stock system comes fron the tweeters - I'd recommend swapping them out too.

The stock speakers are mounted in plastic "pods" which come right out and leave a gaping hole. Make up some MDF panels and 6.5 inch speakers will fit in there pefectly. Mount the crossovers in the doors.

In summary, if you want a reasonably low price and easy to do upgrade, just change the front door speakers, front tweeters and rear door speakers for decent 6.5 inch replacements and you're all set.

Good luck!!

Sounds great!

Do you happen to have any pics of the installed setup?

Did the MB quart tweets fit without too much trouble in the factory spot?

Is the stock passive crossover in the door as well?

What componet set did you go with?

Thanks for the help.

Phil

Sounds great!

Do you happen to have any pics of the installed setup?

Did the MB quart tweets fit without too much trouble in the factory spot?

Is the stock passive crossover in the door as well?

What componet set did you go with?

Thanks for the help.

Phil

I ised the MB Quart components, a matching set of tweeters, woofers and crossovers - Kicker duals in the back. The MBQ tweeters are very bright, you can turn them down a bit on the crossovers - I'd recommend the -6dB setting, but adjust to your own taste obviously.

The MB Quart tweets go straight in, and the MB Quart crossovers fit in the door no problem at all.

The stock passive crossover is only a VERY small capacitor in the wiring - it's in the door too - just wire it out.

I don't have any pics, sorry - hardest part is making the MDF panels and finding the hidden screws on the door panels :D - but the whole thing is really not difficult.

Feel free to yell if you need any help

I took the door panel off to get a look and see what I was up against.

It's doable, not sure if I should make the template out of 1/2" thick MDF or something like 1/4" plywood.

Any suggestions?

• 1 year later...
I took the door panel off to get a look and see what I was up against.

It's doable, not sure if I should make the template out of 1/2" thick MDF or something like 1/4" plywood.

Any suggestions?

What did you finally do for this install? Any pics of YOUR install? I'm contemplating the same upgrade...

Thanks!

Doc Rings

:cheers: