Leaning

TexGX

Has anyone else that has a 04 9700G with KDSS had problems with the truck leaning to either side. If so, has anyone's dealer come up with a fix. My dealer told me that the car may lean at rest. I have had several people look at the car and they all agree that it is not level. I told them that a car at this price should not lean at rest or anytime else. Any suggestions? Thanks for the feedback.

Either this forum or the ClubLexus forum had a thread on the GX leaning to the right or left. It came up just after I got my truck, a February 9700E, but mine was level at that time. Rechecked it again last week and it's still level. I don't remember if this issue was ever resolved.

Either this forum or the ClubLexus forum had a thread on the GX leaning to the right or left.  It came up just after I got my truck, a February 9700E, but mine was level at that time.  Rechecked it again last week and it's still level.  I don't remember if this issue was ever resolved.

Thanks, I will try to look it up.

Either this forum or the ClubLexus forum had a thread on the GX leaning to the right or left.  It came up just after I got my truck, a February 9700E, but mine was level at that time.  Rechecked it again last week and it's still level.  I don't remember if this issue was ever resolved.

Thanks, I will try to look it up.

Try this one.....

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread...15&pagenumber=1

Great information. Thanks for the link, but it did not have a solution. I have my service guy working on it now. I told them that a $50,000 dollar Lexus should not lean if a $25,000 Toyota does not. They had the same model on the lot and it leaned the opposite direction. I hope we can figure out a solution. Thanks for the information.

Great information.  Thanks for the link, but it did not have a solution.  I have my service guy working on it now.  I told them that a $50,000 dollar Lexus should not lean if a $25,000 Toyota does not.  They had the same model on the lot and it leaned the opposite direction.  I hope we can figure out a solution.  Thanks for the information.

Is this just happening with ones equipped with the KDSS? I just went and carefully measured mine in the garage, which is as flat as you're gonna get, and it was identical on both sides. Mine does not have the KDSS though.

Great information.  Thanks for the link, but it did not have a solution.  I have my service guy working on it now.  I told them that a $50,000 dollar Lexus should not lean if a $25,000 Toyota does not.  They had the same model on the lot and it leaned the opposite direction.  I hope we can figure out a solution.  Thanks for the information.

Is this just happening with ones equipped with the KDSS? I just went and carefully measured mine in the garage, which is as flat as you're gonna get, and it was identical on both sides. Mine does not have the KDSS though.

From everything I have read, it is only KDSS equipped GX's. But you bring up a good point that if ones without KDSS are not leaning, then why should one with any additional $1700 option.

I have KDSS on my truck and does not lean. I have around 15K on it and so far there is no appreciable difference in the posture of the vehicle. I typically drive the truck as a single passenger during commuting. And two or more people usually at other times. So, I cannot say that load issues are effecting it. The only thing that does have a tendency to change is the back end air springs which will raise up when a heavy load is removed. But, it usually corrects itself once the vehicle is restarted.

The only issue I have had with the KDSS is the system making a clunking noise occasionally. My guess is that the plungers in the hydraulics are resetting themselves to a new position. And this usually only happens after a bit of hard braking. Which probably puts the vehicle in an odd state and not neutrally balanced.

I still think it was every penny worth the option package. :)

I have KDSS on my truck and does not lean.  I have around 15K on it and so far there is no appreciable difference in the posture of the vehicle.  I typically drive the truck as a single passenger during commuting.  And two or more people usually at other times.  So, I cannot say that load issues are effecting it.  The only thing that does have a tendency to change is the back end air springs which will raise up when a heavy load is removed.  But, it usually corrects itself once the vehicle is restarted.

The only issue I have had with the KDSS is the system making a clunking noise occasionally.  My guess is that the plungers in the hydraulics are resetting themselves to a new position.  And this usually only happens after a bit of hard braking.  Which probably puts the vehicle in an odd state and not neutrally balanced. 

I still think it was every penny worth the option package. :)

I agree! This weekend I was driving on some back counrty road with the selector on sport and the vehicle handles great. I just don't want my buddy with a ford telling me that my Lexus looks like it is leaning. When his is not. That chaps my hide.

Has anyone else that has a 04 9700G with KDSS had problems with the truck leaning to either side.  If so, has anyone's dealer come up with a fix.  My dealer told me that the car may lean at rest.  I have had several people look at the car and they all agree that it is not level.  I told them that a car at this price should not lean at rest or anytime else.  Any suggestions?  Thanks for the feedback.

I just bought my truck this Sat and the truck just had a total of 50 miles on it and just one day in my garage. It seems to me I noticed a bit lean this afternoon but did not pay attention to it till I read your posting. My is also a 9700G with KDSS. I'll take a careful look at my truck and let you know the result.

Monkey

I have already taken the truck to the dealer twice. The last time I got them to agree with me that the truck was leaning. I talked with a friend of mine that deals with hydrolic systems and he gave me a few points that could be causing the leaning. I also emailed the company that makes the KDSS system to get feed back from them. I hope something works. I will keep everyone posted.

TexGX.....I don't know where you live or take your vehicle for service...but I have had very good luck with Park Place Lexus in Grapevine. The service guy I have used before is Butch Shank. http://www.parkplacelexus.com. There should be a link to the Grapevine dealership and some phone numbers on the web site. I have noticed a significant difference from service at one dealership as compared to another.

TexGX.....I don't know where you live or take your vehicle for service...but I have had very good luck with Park Place Lexus in Grapevine.  The service guy I have used before is Butch Shank.  http://www.parkplacelexus.com.  There should be a link to the Grapevine dealership and some phone numbers on the web site.  I have noticed a significant difference from service at one dealership as compared to another.

Thanks sgriffith,

I take my GX to Northside Lexus in Houston. They still seem to be working with me on the problem, so I am not ready to give up on them yet. I will keep Park Place in mind. This is not the first time I have heard thier name. I mainly want to know if anyone else has had the problem fixed so I can tell my service guy. Thanks for the information.

Has anyone else that has a 04 9700G with KDSS had problems with the truck leaning to either side.  If so, has anyone's dealer come up with a fix.  My dealer told me that the car may lean at rest.  I have had several people look at the car and they all agree that it is not level.  I told them that a car at this price should not lean at rest or anytime else.  Any suggestions?  Thanks for the feedback.

I also have a 04 9700G with KDSS and just had ~70 miles on it. I noticed (actually

measured with a ruler) a little leaning towards right (about 1/8 of inch). Iwill watch it closely and may post it again if it get worse.

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

According to the owner's manual, when you add the optional KDSS system, the vehicle leans to the right while parked. This is to ensure that no champaigne spills out of the driver's glass onto the driver, only onto the passanger.

The vehicle should be leaning slightly to the right.

Gotcha!

;)

My 2004 with KDSS leans left. After speaking/arguing with the dealer, I was put in touch with Lexus cust service that told me that they are aware of the leaning in some vehicles, that is does not affect performance, and that it is withing their "spec" if the leaning is less than 1/4" either way (I believe that was the measurement, but it could be 1/2 or 1/8). In any case, I was with in the "spec" and there was nothing that could be done.

I have had the car since 3/04, and other than the annoyance of seeing the unbalance, I have not noticed any performance issues.

My 2004 with KDSS leans left.  After speaking/arguing with the dealer, I was put in touch with Lexus cust service that told me that they are aware of the leaning in some vehicles, that is does not affect performance, and that it is withing their "spec" if the leaning is less than 1/4" either way (I believe that was the measurement, but it could be 1/2 or 1/8).  In any case, I was with in the "spec" and there was nothing that could be done.

I have had the car since 3/04, and other than the annoyance of seeing the unbalance, I have not noticed any performance issues.

DMW,

I had to fight with the dealer to aggree that there was a problem. Do not let them use that "spec" line. You should not be able to tell the truck is leaning by looking at it from behind.

My 2004 with KDSS leans left.  After speaking/arguing with the dealer, I was put in touch with Lexus cust service that told me that they are aware of the leaning in some vehicles, that is does not affect performance, and that it is withing their "spec" if the leaning is less than 1/4" either way (I believe that was the measurement, but it could be 1/2 or 1/8).  In any case, I was with in the "spec" and there was nothing that could be done.

DMW,

I had to fight with the dealer to aggree that there was a problem. Do not let them use that "spec" line. You should not be able to tell the truck is leaning by looking at it from behind.

TexGX,

The dealer fully agreed that the GX was "leaning" and that there was nothing they could do. I didn't like that answer so I went to the service mgr and my sales rep. Eventually, they put me in touch with Lexus cust service, they are the ones that ultimately told me there is nothing "wrong" with the car because it is within spec.

DMW,

TexGX,

The dealer fully agreed that the GX was "leaning" and that there was nothing they could do. I didn't like that answer so I went to the service mgr and my sales rep. Eventually, they put me in touch with Lexus cust service, they are the ones that ultimately told me there is nothing "wrong" with the car because it is within spec.

DMW,

I will let you know if the hieght sensors fix the problem so you can use me as an example. It is amazing that different dealers can get different results.