Help! Unplugging/Disabling Sat/Nav System

Hello,

I need to figure out if there is way to disable/unplug the antenna/wire that controls the communication of the Satellite Navigation and WiFi system on a Lexus 2015 RX 350. 

I have a health condition now where I am sensitive to certain,  I am not sure what to call it , but EMF/Radio Frequency. Being around bluetooth and regular radio waves is fine. The problem is the stronger Satellite Navigation communication waves I guess you call it.

Question is - is there a way to disable the Satellite Navigation connection or unplug this wire or even remove it? All I need is bluetooth and AM/FM radio, Aux. There is the shark fin on top of the roof that I am guessing has the bundle of wires in it. Is it in there?

Could I potentially replace the shark fin antenna with another just AM/FM Bluetooh (not sure if bluetooth needs antenna) antenna?

I called Lexus and they said that it could not be done because the Sat/Nav system is all one unit with the radio, but I am guessing that just means that the wires are all bundled together? Is it possible to unbundle for the Sat/Nav one to be removed?

As far as the Wifi Lexus said that since switching to 5G the older models 2017 and below are no longer transmitting because they are incapable of 5G network. But if possible is that something that could 'officially' be unplugged/removed too?

Does anybody out there have any deeper knowledge on these wirings/electronics? Greatly appreciate it.

Would love to be able to drive my Lexus again

Quote from my manual:  The functionality of Lexus Enform Destinations, Dynamic Navigation, and Wi-Fi® Hotspot is made possible through the shared work of the DCM and the system.

The DCM / Digital Communications Module is just a Lexus cell phone dedicated to communicate with Lexus sites exactly the same way you communicate with others on your cell phone.  Same animal, so your fears of being exposed to harmful waves are likely based on acquired mis-information.  The Sat antenna is used to pull coordinate data for the Nav system.  If it's used at all to talkback to a Sat, it would only be used during a distress call.

Based on the DCMs position in the data stream, there is no way you could disable it w/o causing alarms to go off at Lexus.

If you find conflicting information, Amanda, please let me know.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Les Lex 2018 said:

Quote from my manual:  The functionality of Lexus Enform Destinations, Dynamic Navigation, and Wi-Fi® Hotspot is made possible through the shared work of the DCM and the system.

The DCM / Digital Communications Module is just a Lexus cell phone dedicated to communicate with Lexus sites exactly the same way you communicate with others on your cell phone.  Same animal, so your fears of being exposed to harmful waves are likely based on acquired mis-information.  The Sat antenna is used to pull coordinate data for the Nav system.  If it's used at all to talkback to a Sat, it would only be used during a distress call.

Based on the DCMs position in the data stream, there is no way you could disable it w/o causing alarms to go off at Lexus.

If you find conflicting information, Amanda, please let me know.  

Thank you for your input Les. I really appreciate it That sort of sounds similar to, at least in part, to what the service rep told me from Lexus. That maybe it was the SOS system communication. She said I could just press the button and tell the people on the 'other side' to disable it. ...but when I press the button it has a recorded voice that comes on with prompts saying it is disabled and to enable follow these so and so steps. That has me wondering about he Navigation system, I am thinking at least.

The service rep also noted to me that 2017 and older models (I have 2015) have the internal WiFi disabled or not communicating she said because of the switch to 5G for newer models hence none of the apps work.. but something is transmitting for Navigation.

Unfortunately definitely more than fears. I can not drive the car for more than an hour or two, sometimes less, without getting symptoms,. You may have hit on something when you said it is like a cell phone. I still have an iphone 6 4LTE and have been ok with that, but the newer cell phones make me sick (5G etc, don't know what I am going to when the iphone 6 finally does quit, but so far so good)

If the SOS system of the DCM is already disabled then cutting of the Nav system shouldn't translate to alarm over to Lexus, would it?

This is very hard for me to interpret as I am not a electronics/car person by any stretch. I just love Lexus RX for a lot of different reasons. I really don't know anything and am doing my best to understand and seek help where I can like these forums for any and all insight. I am taking it to a shop at some point too, to have it investigated but seems this is nothing anyone has dealt with.

Thank you so much. Maybe others will know too and can weigh in 🙏

Thanks for the comments, Amanda.

Good news: My 2018 and 2020 RX 350s including the 2023s all use 4G (as stated on the window sticker) and will continue to do so for some time in the future.

Lexus monitors a lot of your vehicle functions and keeps a status of your system.  If the DCM Quits working, you got some real problem on your hands.  I'll just bet you, if that happens Lexus will get in touch with you real quick via e-mail or phone, telling you to bring the vehicle in ASAP.  That's what Lexus Enform is all about - keeping you on the road and out of the repair shop.

If I could cut off the nav system, then when I say "Show Radar", I could not get the local radar map because Lexus would not know where I was.  You pay for that functionality for the first 3 years cause it's built into the price. After a few years I would have to pay for a subscription and it's not cheap.

Sure hope the guys at Lexus can help you out with your Radio Frequency problem.

Les,  1st Class FCC License operator

• Like 1