New Update On Thump

denslexusgx470

I have a 2005 GX470 with 2k miles. It drives well. The only thing I've noticed regarding a "thump" is that it seems to downshift after being stopped for a few seconds. It doesn't appear to be a problem, just a downshift. Is this what everyone is posting about?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 2005 GX470 with 2k miles. It drives well. The only thing I've noticed regarding a "thump" is that it seems to downshift after being stopped for a few seconds. It doesn't appear to be a problem, just a downshift. Is this what everyone is posting about?

:( :huh:

not quite. it's when ur at a stoplight and the self leveling rear suspension adjusts itself (for whatever reason) and when at certain heights, it will cause the "thump" . actually u can create the thump urself. first drive and stop at the light. then adjust ur suspension to "high" and while it's goin up, u should feel the "thump" at certain times.

same thing, if ur backing up from somewhere and u adjust the suspension to either high or low, it would cause the thump. so my conclusion is that the "thump" is from the rear suspension that constantly changes height positions at times. <_<

THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE DRIVESHAFT AND NOW THEY HAVE COME UP WITH A FIX BUT IT IS DONE BY A TECHNICIAN NOT ANY NEW PART. AT MY DEALER A CERTAIN TECH POLISHES THE SPLINES ALONG WITH MANY OTHER THINGS AND IT HAS FIXED EVERY REPEAT VEHICLE THAT HAS COME TROUGH EXCEPT ONE AND NOW THAT ONE SEEMS TO BE FIXED.

THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE DRIVESHAFT AND NOW THEY HAVE COME UP WITH A FIX BUT IT IS DONE BY A TECHNICIAN NOT ANY NEW PART. AT MY DEALER A CERTAIN TECH POLISHES THE SPLINES ALONG WITH MANY OTHER THINGS AND IT HAS FIXED EVERY REPEAT VEHICLE THAT HAS COME TROUGH EXCEPT ONE AND NOW THAT ONE SEEMS TO BE FIXED.

Is there a new technical service bulletin we can reference for this new fix? I have my car scheduled to go in for the "thump" in a couple weeks.

Thanks!

:( :huh:

not quite. it's when ur at a stoplight and the self leveling rear suspension adjusts itself (for whatever reason) and when at certain heights, it will cause the "thump" . actually u can create the thump urself. first drive and stop at the light. then adjust ur suspension to "high" and while it's goin up, u should feel the "thump" at certain times.

same thing, if ur backing up from somewhere and u adjust the suspension to either high or low, it would cause the thump. so my conclusion is that the "thump" is from the rear suspension that constantly changes height positions at times. <_<

I noticed that there is an off switch next to the height control, If you shut off would that prevent the vehicle from constantly adjusting?

Is there a new technical service bulletin we can reference for this new fix? I have my car scheduled to go in for the "thump" in a couple weeks.

Thanks!

This is the correct fix, call Johnson Lexus (Raleigh, NC 919 877 1800) if your maint. rep doesnt know about the polishing procedure. My '03 had every symptom noted here, and drives perfect after the splines were refinished-about a 5 hour service.

Thanks!

This is the correct fix, call Johnson Lexus (Raleigh, NC 919 877 1800) if your maint. rep doesnt know about the polishing procedure. My '03 had every symptom noted here, and drives perfect after the splines were refinished-about a 5 hour service.

thanks for the info. I'll give that a try! :whistles: ;)

o i thought the thump occured when put it into gear....so its when you adjust the height...hmmm i never use that feature. i'll try it out

the height control automatically adjusts itself from time to time. when i said earlier "adjust the height manually", I meant if u wanted to recreate the problem, that's how you should do it. Otherwise, it occurs when the car itself adjusts it. ;)

I'm in the market for a new GX470 and this post caught my attention. Since I've owned a 4x4 for 14 years, I have chased rear driveline "thumps" or "thunks" with some success. Driveline "thunks" can emerge from various sources, including the rear springs unloading the driveline after a complete stop---sometimes before or after releasing the brake.

My friend's new LR3 does the same...

So when a tech says "all suv's do this" they are somewhat correct ... but it's no excuse for a poor design. I've spent $$$ modifying my Jeep Cherokee chasing the "thunk" and found the slip-yoke was the main source of the problem. As a result I installed a slip-yoke eliminator, with a redesigned driveshaft, and the problem never returned.

I'm not familiar enough with GX470s or LR3s to really comment on their particular designs... but my experience tells me the input yoke on the TC where the driveshaft mates-up is the source of the "thunk". So it doesn't surprise me when the tech greased the splines and the "thunk" went away for awhile... an old shadetree mechanic fix.

I'd like to hear more about the Lexus tech that polished the splines... was it on the TC output or driveshaft ??... and did this really fixed the problem? After spending thousands on my old Jeep, I'm not in the mood to pay $55K on a new SUV and find myself chasing rear driveline "thunks" again.

I hope this isn't a chronic problem ... my test drive today almost had me sold on a new GX470.

• 8 months later...

was the last post on this topic really may 31, 2005?

would think there would've been a post or two since then.

we've got a 2005 gx470

took delivery in august.

thump showed up within the first 2 weeks.

"polishing" process didn't fix anything

new drive shaft didn't fix anything

the service writer at palm bch lexus said lexus was working on a permanent fix but it had been 2 years to his understanding that lexus had been "working on it".

argh.

I'm in the market for a new GX470 and this post caught my attention. Since I've owned a 4x4 for 14 years, I have chased rear driveline "thumps" or "thunks" with some success. Driveline "thunks" can emerge from various sources, including the rear springs unloading the driveline after a complete stop---sometimes before or after releasing the brake.

My friend's new LR3 does the same...

So when a tech says "all suv's do this" they are somewhat correct ... but it's no excuse for a poor design. I've spent $$$ modifying my Jeep Cherokee chasing the "thunk" and found the slip-yoke was the main source of the problem. As a result I installed a slip-yoke eliminator, with a redesigned driveshaft, and the problem never returned.

I'm not familiar enough with GX470s or LR3s to really comment on their particular designs... but my experience tells me the input yoke on the TC where the driveshaft mates-up is the source of the "thunk". So it doesn't surprise me when the tech greased the splines and the "thunk" went away for awhile... an old shadetree mechanic fix.

I'd like to hear more about the Lexus tech that polished the splines... was it on the TC output or driveshaft ??... and did this really fixed the problem? After spending thousands on my old Jeep, I'm not in the mood to pay $55K on a new SUV and find myself chasing rear driveline "thunks" again.

I hope this isn't a chronic problem ... my test drive today almost had me sold on a new GX470.

GXRemote, CS Guard,

Check this out from Mr. Yellow:

As a owner of an 05 GX and a Lexus master tech, here is the unoffical word that I have gotten from the tech department---a revised rear driveshaft is still under development---I have worked on GX's 03-05 experiencing the clunk, and yes mine does it too---the problem lies with the slip yoke on the end of the driveshaft (end of the shaft slides in/out on splines)---the clunk comes from the splines that are machined onto the main part of the shaft and the yoke sticks as is slides---has to be at the right height to make it happen---first there was a service bulletin with an updated shaft---still makes noise with new shaft--then there is an un-offical field fix that involved cleaning/smoothing out the splines--50/50 chance if it worked---as of right now, when a GX comes in with a clunk complaint---we submit VIN and customer info to Lexus tech center and they are building a case for correction---still have yet to see new "updated" shaft (2nd time), but i will keep everyone posted--I have access to all Lexus service bulletins if needed (Lexus service bulletins are public type documents---there was some lawsuit that made it illegal to keep service bulletins from the public eye--if you go to a Lexus dealer and ask for a copy of a bulletin, they should give it to you

hope this helps answer some questions

Jason

(Post # 14, Page 1)

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...opic=25874&st=0

Hope this helps!!!

-Alex

Hello All,

I do not own a GX470 yet, but I stumbled upon this thread and Forum today and wanted to share my experience. Last week, I took out a 2006 GX470 with 15 miles on it for an extended test drive. I was able to keep it for an hour, without a saleperson. I experienced the thump when I came to a stop. It is not normal. A $50K vehicle should not have that thump. When it happened, I thought that someone hit me from behind. I will be researching this in more detail before I go down to the dealer and write a check for the vehicle.

speaking of the thump, i think mine's slowly going away. Fix or solution, I dunno?!?!? lately it hasn't been annoying so i don't know if it will eventually go away. :unsure:

speaking of the thump, i think mine's slowly going away. Fix or solution, I dunno?!?!? lately it hasn't been annoying so i don't know if it will eventually go away. :unsure:

You've got to be kidding me?!?!? My guess is that you have become numb to the pain. Since you seem to write on this subject quite often and presumbably also read the other threads, you must know that Lexus doesn't have a fix for their "vehicle characteristic". It won't simply go away either. It's as Alex said, the design of the two piece shaft makes it impossible for the clunk to slowly dissipate. I have it each time I step off the brake. Highly obnoxious. For those of you who are on the fence regarding purchasing this car, don't believe Lexus when they say they have fixed it. I'll let you all know when and if they do. In the meantime, I actually have to consider paying MORE money to extend my warranty in order to be eligible to get the freaking patch when they finally pull their heads out and design one.... Geez, rough day. Sorry.

I think my cluck problem is going also, I guess that makes two of us thats numb to the pain. :D It is entirely possible that as the drive shaft wear in after a while, it could run smoother.

I have a meeting with the area rep for lexus to look at my clunk problem. Any suggestions on how I should handle the meeting. Also, does anyone have a way to fix the problem that lexus has not found yet. Any techical information on the problem would also be great.

TexGX

I have a meeting with the area rep for lexus to look at my clunk problem. Any suggestions on how I should handle the meeting. Also, does anyone have a way to fix the problem that lexus has not found yet. Any techical information on the problem would also be great.

TexGX

Tex, I just had my 06 in for 5K service. I have noticed a very slight clunk ( actually feels more like the shocks settling) so I took the service tech. for a test ride. BTW, the service writter said the clunk is "normal". Of course nothing happened, but he did tell me that he has an 04 GX and had to have the drive shaft replaced (and it fixed the problem). He also said that 80% of GX's have the problem ( he also stated he has replaced so many of them he can do them in his sleep). He indicated they have not had an 06 with the problem yet. I would print out this thread when you talk to the area rep. Hope this helps.

I think my cluck problem is going also, I guess that makes two of us thats numb to the pain. :D It is entirely possible that as the drive shaft wear in after a while, it could run smoother.

Mine has 28,000 miles ('04) but maybe only 15K since a Lexus master mechanic replaced the shaft for the third time!!! How many does yours have?

the problem with these forums is that when your standing around a bunch of people claiming there sick then you must believe your sick also. some have legimate problems and others believe they must have them too. so they drive there gx, rx, es looking for anything they may seem like a clunk, transmission lag etc. Lexus is a customer friendly company. the best in the business. if there is a problem thet fix it. in the engine gel case in the previous es and rx 98 out of every 100 cases had no service history... but they backed it up anyway. automobiles are machines and you can never guarantee they will be perfect. hence warrantys. as far as the gx there are no original parts in the truck . the truck was made from all existing lx and 4 runner parts. so if the problem was widespread it would have surfaced before. i do know they were anxious to put kdss into every gx starting sometime in 05. to improve ride quality. enjoy the 268 good things about the car and try and forget about the 1 thing that comes up only when the car is doing 45 mph during days where the temperature is below 64 degress fahreinheit. as lexus says we pursue perfection so you can pursue living. if its broke they will fix it.

May I interject with my far too knowledgeable opinion on this? I experience the highly obnoxious clunk almost EVERY time I let off the brake. It doesn't have to be 28 degress outside, I don't have to slam on the breaks, and the car doesn't have to be at a certain angle. I have taken Lexus to arbitration after having three new shafts installed in my '04 (one after only 4K miles) and the final installed by their "Master Mechanic" imported from Los Angeles. The clunk was highly audible AND the arbitrators felt the jolt at every stop but since they claim it's a characteristic and not what it actually is, a design flaw, they did nothing for me. They don't listen, they don't care, and they certainly don't pursue perfection. If you would like to get an idea of what the rest of us are experiencing at every stop, try hitting the height adjustment after driving a short distance (come to a stop first, of course). Clunk, jolt, hit-from behind feeling! Great fun in a 50K vehicle*&*@Y&$%% My husband's company Ford Freestyle is a dream to drive compared to this piece. Is Lexus "Best in the Business" ? I think not. I had an ES300 that I loved. I bought the GX after knowing that the '03s had problems with the shaft design. Lexus ASSURED me that they had taken care of it with the '04s. Even provided me with VIN # after which the "new design" had been installed. As far as I'm concered, it was pure and simple fraud! I was mislead into buying this vehicle even though I think of myself as an informed consumer from a research perspective. Maybe that's why I'm so ticked off.....

'GXRemorse' dont buy any extended warranties, this will be automatically covered if they ever find a solution.

I am working with a lemon attorney now to get a full refund for this clunky Lexus

BUYERS BEWARE THAT THIS CAR HAS A DRIVESHAFT CLUNK PROBLEM THAT WILL MAKE YOU SICK, THIS HAS NOT BEEN FIXED AT ALL FOR ANY YEAR BCUZ THE ENGINEERS ARE EITHER STUPID OR MANAGEMENT DOES NOT CARE BCUZ THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH BUYERS THAT HAVE COMPLAINED ABOUT THIS YET.

EVERYONE FIND A LEMON LAW ATTORNEY, THEY ARE FREE AND WILL HELP YOU GET YOUR MONEY BACK FOR THIS BULL CRAP.

THE PROBLEM WILL NOT GO AWAY, I HAVE 46000 MILES, SHOULD I WAIT UNTIL 100K YOU THINK??

Somewhere on one one of these clunk comments threads mention they

did some thing to mine. Made a little better. Well yesterday was

like nothing had be done, its back. I think worse than before.

I sure wish Lexus has a two wheel drive version, the all wheel

drive aint worth S*$#. Getting so dont like the vehicle and

would not recommend it

I think it's just the design of the GX/4Runner full-time 4wd drivetrain. I followed the 4th generation 4runner forum closely and due to the myriad complaints (mainly a vibration in the steering, creaky front seat w/ play, clunk, moonroof problems) about the 4runner and the GX, I decided to pass on the GX/4runner and got an LX. About the steering vibration (not the clunk), I hear the GX has a band-aid fix...some elastomers that help absorb the vibration. It could be some kind of resonance from the engine causing the vehicle to vibrate. The LC/LX doesn't suffer from this, but the suspension/chassis components are much more massive/heavy, and mass changes the vibration frequency. This is really the only way to solve the problem. Anyways, I figured there's nothing worse than spending a lot of money on something you expect to be perfect, only for it to become one's worst nightmare...I've been through this before with my home remodel and contractors. IMHO, new technolgies like the torsen diff and KDSS can only create more problems. This was one reason for getting the LC/LX. It's been proven already for 8 years and sold in over 150 different countries. All the bugs have been worked out by Toyota over the years, long-term problems are known as well as fixes. My LX doesn't thump or vibrate, but it doesn't have the torsen diff, either.