New Update On Thump

denslexusgx470

Ok i broguht in my Gx a couple days ago to have the thump fixed, at the 3rd try. Now here is what they did (according to the service write-up they printed out)

1.Customer States Then Brakes Are Applied and Then Released There is a Clunk/Thump

2. Customer Roadtested with Tech

3. Possible Part of Axle Making Noise

4. Confirmed Customer's Concern and Found Updated Driveshaft

5. Installed But Splines were not Lapped and Vent Hole not installed

6. Lapped Splines and Drilled Vent Holes as Per Updated

7. Counter Measure Repair Per Lexus

8. Roadtested and Ok AT THIS TIME - (?????)

That's what they all said. Now i'm getting frustrated with line #8, hmmmm,..... <_<

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, so far so good.:whistles:  (like the first 2 tries). It's just line #8 that bugs me.:chairshot:

I had the same driveshaft replacement fix done on our 03 and it lasted approximately 5 weeks then the clunk was back. So far Lexus has no permanent fix for it (as per Valencia Lexus).

A friend who has a '02 Land Cruiser tell me it's normal at least on all the LCs he has owned. Good thing my wife only puts 300 miles amonth on it and it really doesn't bother her that much.

My 2004 GX goes in for the 15000 mile on Nov 2nd and the thump is on the list. I get it intermittently and it would nice if they could fix it. But, based on what I read here, I am not hopeful. Of course, they could make it worse and that would be unfortunate.

My GX is an 04' and has the thump too. Just finished with the second time in the shop.

The first time they drilled a vent hole and lapped everything. The second time they said that Lexus wasn't recommending that anymore and replaced the driveshaft.

So far so good, but it has only been 2 days.

In my experience, the fixes last about 2 to 3K miles before it comes back.

The shop forman did say that Lexus is seriously starting to look into this problem because the amount of complaints are adding up.

My GX is an 04' and has the thump too.  Just finished with the second time in the shop. 

The shop forman did say that Lexus is seriously starting to look into this problem because the amount of complaints are adding up.

Did your thump manifest itself right away when the vehicle was new, or did it take some miles for it to show up?

My GX is an 04' and has the thump too.  Just finished with the second time in the shop. 

Did your thump manifest itself right away when the vehicle was new, or did it take some miles for it to show up?

It took some time, when I first got it, it was very smooth. But that was because everything was new and tight.

Again, now that the driveshaft is new again it is smooth again. Also as a side note my transmission is shifting more smoothly more consistantly now too.

I think until Lexus finds a permanent fix, I will be requesting a new driveline everytime it starts up again, which should be every 3 to 5K miles. Lexus better start stocking up on driveshafts.

for me, around 5k when it came out. OH MAN! I barely put 100 miles on the 3rd fix, still here! What do i do???? <_< :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot:

is it possible to consider my gx a "lemon" with this problem?? 3 tries, and still not fixed

• 2 weeks later...

:angry: This is ridiculous, I am warning shoppers/buyers not to buy this GX470 as this driveshaft thump totally ruins the ride, feel, quality. The mechanic test drove my truck and said this is normal for most SUVs with this type of rear suspension. This is absurd, they are denying it is a design problem.

I request that all current owners please join and make a concerted effort for Lexus to take some positive action, either by compensating us, allowing us to trade this defective SUV, or at the very least publicly apologizing and promising to provide a solution to this defective driveshaft design.

We did not pay around $50,000 to deserve such a headache and regrettable mistake.

Please reply to this message by providing your name and vin # perhaps so we can track all the owners with this problem then forward it to Lexus.

We should even consult with an attorney for a possible class-action lawsuit as Lexus corporate is denying that there is a problem.

My email is yamauf@aol.com

:angry: This is ridiculous, I am warning shoppers/buyers not to buy this GX470 as this driveshaft thump totally ruins the ride, feel, quality.  The mechanic test drove my truck and said this is normal for most SUVs with this type of rear suspension.  This is absurd, they are denying it is a design problem. 

I request that all current owners please join and make a concerted effort for Lexus to take some positive action, either by compensating us, allowing us to trade this defective SUV, or at the very least publicly apologizing and promising to provide a solution to this defective driveshaft design.

We did not pay around $50,000 to deserve such a headache and regrettable mistake.

Please reply to this message by providing your name and vin # perhaps so we can track all the owners with this problem then forward it to Lexus.

We should even consult with an attorney for a possible class-action lawsuit as Lexus corporate is denying that there is a problem.

My email is yamauf@aol.com

wow, take it easy there, Lexus will never compensate or give up right away, or just like that!

no way you should be angry this is a deffinet design problem which they have not put all there resources behind it to fix the one thing which everyone shuld note is that all the repair technicians do not have the same story so hq has not address the problem yet. As a previous jeep grand cherokee owner with the exact proble it took some time to fix but at least they said they will fix it. now you may have a hard time with the lemon law because its not a direct safety problem and the vehicle still works but 3 fixes are all thats needed. We got our jeep bought back as a lemon a few years ago; with the deal i had to get a new jeep which we did and then traded in right away for a different car.

no way you should be angry this is a deffinet design problem which they have not put all there resources behind it to fix the one thing which everyone shuld note is that all the repair technicians do not have the same story so hq has not address the problem yet. As a previous jeep grand cherokee owner with the exact proble it took some time to fix but at least they said they will fix it. now you may have a hard time with the lemon law because its not a direct safety problem and the vehicle still works but 3 fixes are all thats needed. We got our jeep bought back as a lemon a few years ago; with the deal i had to get a new jeep which we did and then traded in right away for a different car.

so is it really after 3 tries that i can claim it lemon?

There may not be anyone who knows the answer to this question, but does the new 4Runner have this same issue? I was drooling over the GXs until reading all of this & have almost decided to buy a used LC or LX. But am considering a new 4Runner as well. Just wanted to see if anyone knew if the problem was there with them also?

There may not be anyone who knows the answer to this question, but does the new 4Runner have this same issue?  I was drooling over the GXs until reading all of this & have almost decided to buy a used LC or LX.  But am considering a new 4Runner as well.  Just wanted to see if anyone knew if the problem was there with them also?

I have not heard anything about the 4Runner having this issue. But, than again, it has only been a few who have had this issue occur on their GX vehicles. There have been discussions about what the problem may be. And some of the owners have said the problem was resolved after the dealer took it in. Perhaps, through a visit or two. I have not had this problem and I now have more than 12K on the truck. Some say that it occurs anytime they drive, and others say only periodically. A lot of it depends on what the owner is expecting, and their sensitivity between a luxury truck and a luxury sedan. I have noticed, on my truck, an occasionaly suspension adjustment after stopping at a light (usually after some hard manuever). This manifests itself as a thump that you feel inside the cabin. The closest I can determine this, is the KDSS suspension correcting the balance of the load through the hydraulic pistons which it incorporates. This does not always happen, and once I determine how to replicate it for the dealer, I will probably have them look into it. This is a curiousity, not necessarily something that drives me crazy. All in all, I still think it's a great truck, and far better quality of components than the 4runner ever will be. It still comes down to how much to you want all the refinements around you, and what are you willing to pay for it. After having Range Rovers for years, I still think highly of the GX, and look forward to having to take it in very little for service. I do miss the European version of a Luxury Vehicle, but I sleep better at night. :)

Who says that this thump driveshaft problem is occurring on a few GX470s. They are all designed the same, so they should all have this issue. Mine has 33,000 miles, perhaps it worsens or arises or occurs more frequently and seriously with increased mileage. My thump happens 75% of the time when i come near a stop, the driveshaft has a problem sliding smoothly so theres a thump noise and feel as it forces itself in the other position.

Who says that this thump driveshaft problem is occurring on a few GX470s.  They are all designed the same, so they should all have this issue.  Mine has 33,000 miles, perhaps it worsens or arises or occurs more frequently and seriously with increased mileage.  My thump happens 75% of the time when i come near a stop, the driveshaft has a problem sliding smoothly so theres a thump noise and feel as it forces itself in the other position.

I do not speak for everyone obviously. But, I do not see everyone who posts here, having that particular dilemna. Your correct in that all the vehicles have the same mechanical parts. But, I do not have that driveline issue. Perhaps, I have the defective unit.

And the problem I have noticed with my KDSS is not a driveline issue. I can actually feel the truck settle its' position by a shift in tension on the suspension. And it occurs rarely, only after some hard swift manuevering. Once I determine how to recreate this on command, I will let the dealership guys have a crack at it. It would be interesting if my "suspension" issue is really the driveline issue your talking about. It just does not feel like that from where I sit. And it does not happen very often. And, it is not something that would make me feel the truck was a total POS. But, that is my opinion.

In the past I have effectively sued an auto manufacturer, and they had to buy the car back. I have not seen ANY issues with my truck that would even lead me to that course of action now.

Who says that this thump driveshaft problem is occurring on a few GX470s.  They are all designed the same, so they should all have this issue.  Mine has 33,000 miles, perhaps it worsens or arises or occurs more frequently and seriously with increased mileage.  My thump happens 75% of the time when i come near a stop, the driveshaft has a problem sliding smoothly so theres a thump noise and feel as it forces itself in the other position.

I do not speak for everyone obviously. But, I do not see everyone who posts here, having that particular dilemna. Your correct in that all the vehicles have the same mechanical parts. But, I do not have that driveline issue. Perhaps, I have the defective unit.

And the problem I have noticed with my KDSS is not a driveline issue. I can actually feel the truck settle its' position by a shift in tension on the suspension. And it occurs rarely, only after some hard swift manuevering. Once I determine how to recreate this on command, I will let the dealership guys have a crack at it. It would be interesting if my "suspension" issue is really the driveline issue your talking about. It just does not feel like that from where I sit. And it does not happen very often. And, it is not something that would make me feel the truck was a total POS. But, that is my opinion.

In the past I have effectively sued an auto manufacturer, and they had to buy the car back. I have not seen ANY issues with my truck that would even lead me to that course of action now.

Yours is only the second KDSS owner that has described a problem that I am aware of. I don't quite understand what you're feeling when you talk about a shift in tension. Can you explain that again please?

Well, I don't know if I am in the minority or majority or just plain lucky, but I have none of the problems currently being discussed on the message boards. The truck doesn't clunk, stray off center, move around in the wind, vibrate, have a stinky catalytic converter, shift poorly or lean to one side.

YESSS!!!! I think my dealer finally solved all my thump/brake problems! (for now)

What did they do differntly then the prev times that fixed it this time?

that, i truthfully have to say, i don't know! ;) but the tech who did it finally used their knwoledge they learned at Lexus school and finally applied it to my GX! :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

YESSS!!!! I think my dealer finally solved all my thump/brake problems! (for now)

that, i truthfully have to say, i don't know! ;) but the tech who did it finally used their knwoledge they learned at Lexus school and finally applied it to my GX! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Please shed some light on this. What does your repair reciept say??

Thanks in advance.

that, i truthfully have to say, i don't know! ;) but the tech who did it finally used their knwoledge they learned at Lexus school and finally applied it to my GX! :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Thanks in advance.

Probably only that they applied more lube to the works. After having ALL the currently known patches/splints/bandaids installed to mine including new shaft, lapping and drilling (what the heck kind of a fix is drilling through the center of my shaft, anyway), they now only squirt more lube in and it takes the problem down a notch for around a thousand miles. Then it kicks back into defect mode.

Thanks in advance.

Probably only that they applied more lube to the works. After having ALL the currently known patches/splints/bandaids installed to mine including new shaft, lapping and drilling (what the heck kind of a fix is drilling through the center of my shaft, anyway), they now only squirt more lube in and it takes the problem down a notch for around a thousand miles. Then it kicks back into defect mode.

oh man! reading this, now i think i felt it today, but only once! :angry:

Yours is only the second KDSS owner that has described a problem that I am aware of. I don't quite understand what you're feeling when you talk about a shift in tension. Can you explain that again please?

Well, I don't know if I am in the minority or majority or just plain lucky, but I have none of the problems currently being discussed on the message boards. The truck doesn't clunk, stray off center, move around in the wind, vibrate, have a stinky catalytic converter, shift poorly or lean to one side.

I am not sure how to describe it very clearly, which is why the dealership has not been involved. To give you an idea, as the vehicle comes to a stop it feels like the front driver side shock absorber was stuck in the upper position, suddenly releases and drops to the normal position.

This has happend periodically in the last 5K miles, but not to the point where I am going to pull my hair out. I have been in different cars which have other types of issues, and I think I can put this in perspective. From what I have read in this forum, it appears that Lexus is at least making an attempt to correct various problems. Which is the reason I think most of us chose "Lexus" versus other manufacturers.

As with any "intermittent" problems, the problem needs to be repeatable in demonstration to effectively correct. Once, I can do this, I will pursue a remedy. And I will post the findings here.