Navigation Dvd

geenee

I just recieved the nee updated DVD for the navigation. I can't find the DVD player in the trunk area. Does anyone know exactly where it is, or do I have to take it to the dealer to be installed?

I believe that in the RX330 it's in the head-unit. Just press the open button below the NAV screen and you should be able to eject the old DVD and put in the new one.

Pretty sure it's in the back under the hatches above the spare. I'm just really curious where you bought the DVD? I assumed it was a "dealer only" thing. Did you find a good deal somewhere?

I got it here..info@lexus-parts.com. It was about $245.

Thanks for the lead! They are selling the DVD for $288. I need to look at a Lex with this new DVD to see if there are any differences for my area.

They were offering a discount for this Forum, that's how I found out about it. If you mention the forum, they might honor it. Simply enter the promotional code of "ver04" to obtain this update for $245.00."

What does it change? Anything different other than the map data?

The player is in the back, beside the spare tire.

Mike

Yes please give an update if it changes the way the screens look! I know there is a noticable differance between the 04 and 05......

I just recieved the nee updated DVD for the navigation. I can't find the DVD player in the trunk area. Does anyone know exactly where it is, or do I have to take it to the dealer to be installed?

Let us know if you get it to load. I've tried two copies of the 4.1 DVD in my 04 LS430 and neither would load! What is the version you currently have installed in your RX?

Thanks for the info. The DVD Player is next to the spare tire equipment. Loaded it with no problem. I don't see any difference in the display or the operatiion of the navigation, but it does have updated street info for my area.

Crap, so your display looks exactly as it did then? I was hoping for a little more, but oh well at least there are some new streets to find.

Take a trip over to Lexus and fire up an 05 330 Nav system, you will see the changes rather quick.

Just returned from the Lexus dealer for a service visit. I asked about the DVD updates etc. They said that the Gen 3 version in MY 04 will look the same. A new DVD version will update the maps, but the overall system will be the same. The new GEN 4 version in MY 05 is a completely different system with a hi res screen, better color, more detail and so on.

So, if you update the DVD you'll get updated maps, but everything else will look exactly the same. That's no big deal to me anyway. I like the Nav and don't sweat about the small things - it does what I need, I just want to know I can keep the mapping up to date.

BTW - I spoke to a service mechanic about this system too and he told me to change the DVD is no big deal at all! Two screws to loosen the unit, press eject, insert new DVD, run it for (roughly) 1 hr to update and you're done! Now we just need somebody to buy the DVD and burn copies ;->

In order to get the new look the mfg would have to offer a firmware update or flash update. Not sure if they would even do this. The Map cd is most likley from a different mfg co. that does maps for many different units and will not have any updates for the unit. I have up dated my friends gps unit in his boat but got the firmware update from lowrance not the map co. You might be able to find out whop makes the gps unit and contact them for info on an update of the firmware.

Jeff

In order to get the new look the mfg would have to offer a firmware update or flash update. Not sure if they would even do this. The Map cd is most likley from a different mfg co. that does maps for many different units and will not have any updates for the unit. I have up dated my friends gps unit in his boat but got the firmware update from lowrance not the map co. You might be able to find out whop makes the gps unit and contact them for info on an update of the firmware.

Jeff

I sent an email to Lexus Tech Support and they responded with the following:

"Per our technical department, the 2005 navigation features cannot be modified to your 2004 model. We are sorry for any inconvenience this situation may cause you.

"

JL

Really stupid question.  If i put a regular dvd in there will it work?  Will i be able to watch a movie?
So wadda ya think? Worth it?

Probably not

NO It doesn't work, It will say "Please Insert A MAP DATA Disc" or somthing like that... I tried it before. doesnt work.

• 5 months later...

Can someone with the upgrade for a 2001 rx300 tell me the version numbers onthe disk? Is there a 4.1 for the 2001 . I need all the numbers if possible to make sure i get the right one.

Thanks for any help!

Barry