Power Steering

Em91

Hey everybody. I finally put in my new power steering pump in my 91 ls400. It is a real easy job. I had basically no problems except I didn't notice that a little metal piece inside my air control valve fell out. :chairshot: Well, I started up the car and it started smoking like crazy. :cries: I had to take it off again and I notice the problem on the air control valve. For those of you who don't know what the air control valve is, it is the black part towards the bottom side of the pump with the two vacuum line connected to it. I put the new control vavle on and it is all fixed now. Now I just have to wait for all the smoke to clear and the car to start running correctly. I also wanted to tell everybody the the part# for the control valve is

17630-16040. :D

That part number is for what Lexus calls the idle up valve right? I think it is leaking a bit on my PS pump. The shaft and housing do not leak at all. How much did the idle up valve cost? Thanks.

Hey everybody.  I finally put in my new power steering pump in my 91 ls400. 

Did you remove and clean the filter in the steering rack solenoid control valve? Did you remove the power steering fluid reservoir and flush it out with a brake cleaner like solvent to clean the filter inside it? These two filters must be kept clean or fluid pressures will build up excessively and your new pump could leak soon again and the steering rack could develop leaks too.

Hi srk the part is called the air control valve but it could be called the idle up valve. On the bag that it came it is says, "valve assy,air".

Hi Monarch. I am going to clean the filter on the solenoid next.. Thanks for the advise.

That part number is for what Lexus calls the idle up valve right?  I think it is leaking a bit on my PS pump.  The shaft and housing do not leak at all.  How much did the idle up valve cost?  Thanks.

It's about $100 from a lexus dealer..........$75 or so from on-line places.

I think Sewell lexus has these for around $75 on line........

Hey everybody.  I finally put in my new power steering pump in my 91 ls400. 

Did you remove and clean the filter in the steering rack solenoid control valve? Did you remove the power steering fluid reservoir and flush it out with a brake cleaner like solvent to clean the filter inside it? These two filters must be kept clean or fluid pressures will build up excessively and your new pump could leak soon again and the steering rack could develop leaks too.

Hi Monarch.

Can you show us how to remove that filter in the steering rack on 91 LS400.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Hey everybody.  I finally put in my new power steering pump in my 91 ls400.  It is a real easy job.  I had basically no problems except I didn't notice that  a little metal piece inside my air control valve fell out.

Man, am I glad someone else had the same problem. While installing an Autozone PS pump, on my 91 LS, I too, lost the little something in the ACV. Started the car, and smoke, so then shut it off. It actually "blew the ACV hose off the pump". Tried to start it again, and it wouldn't even turn over. Pumped a LOT of PS fluid into the engine, especially #7 (back left) cylinder. I couldn't even turn it over.

Okay, took out the spark plugs, and cranked the starter. Wet red fluid everywhere. Finally got it all out.

Decided with the help of two mechanic friends, that the ACV wasn't crucial to the working of the PS pump. Left the ACV out, and blocked it with a suitable stopper, same threads. Removed both rubber hoses and blocked the ports.

Been driving over 10,000 miles since, but cannot tell any difference in performance.

Quite em_bar_assed :ph34r: about the screw up, but it really performs well.

Yes, I cleaned the solonoid filter on the rack too. Lots of new fluid (actually using Amsoil Tranny Fluid - same as in my Transmission).

Been getting over 23 MPG, while driving fairly agressively, and normally cruise about 80. I've put on 42,000 miles since getting this beauty 14 months ago. :D

Hey ebridges the tranny fluid that went in my engine did more damage than I had hoped for. It actually damaged my "air flow meter" I had to buy one at a junk yard and now all is well. What a nightmare. :blink:

• 3 months later...
Hey everybody.  I finally put in my new power steering pump in my 91 ls400.  It is a real easy job.  I had basically no problems except I didn't notice that  a little metal piece inside my air control valve fell out.  :chairshot:  Well, I started up the car and it started smoking like crazy.  :cries:  I had to take it off again and I notice the problem on the air control valve.  For those of you who don't know what the air control valve is, it is the black part towards the bottom side of the pump with the two vacuum line connected to it.  I put the new control vavle on and it is all fixed now.  Now I just have to wait for all the smoke to clear and the car to start running correctly.  I also wanted to tell everybody the the part# for the control valve is

17630-16040.  :D

Hi EM91:

My power steering starts leaking. I may have to replace the pump. You said it was easy to replace it. Can you give us a procedure as how to? Thanks in advance.

I just replaced the Air Control Valve, and I noticed that the little thingy inside the old valve fell out immediately, before I could even place it on a bench. I was worried that I could have lost the same thing off the new valve, without knowing it, prior to installation. Any way, after bleeding air and replacing P/S fluid, I swear that the car steers smoother and stronger than before the new Air Valve. Probably just the excess air in my head....