Vehicle Stability Control (vsc)

Kally

HI -

Seeking any help or advice on a scary problem with the automatic Vehicle Stability Control on my LX470 year 2002.

Twice in the last month the loss of traction alarm sounds, lights light up in the main display, and then the left side brakes pump 2 or 3 times. When the VSC engages, it brakes pretty hard, not locking, but Hard on the left side. The whole vehicle then pulls to the left and I have to steer right to keep in my lane.

Both times I was driving about 65 mph on a dry clean freeway with a slight right curve. The first time I was inside a tunnel here in the San Francisco bay area, and it really scared the S*** out of me. Second time, the alarm sounded and I just got ready for some creative driving and it did the same thing. The brakes engage about 5 seconds after the alarm goes off and the whole "experience" lasts about 15 seconds before returning to normal.

I've had the dealer look for the problem and they can't reproduce it. I've really enjoyed the truck for 2 years now with no issues, but this is a new one to me.

Has anyone heard of problems with the VSC or something like this? How can I diagnose or narrow the problem down?

Thanks!

HI -

Seeking any help or advice on a scary problem with the automatic Vehicle Stability Control on my LX470 year 2002. 

Twice in the last month the loss of traction alarm sounds, lights light up in the main display, and then the left side brakes pump 2 or 3 times.  When the VSC engages, it brakes pretty hard, not locking, but Hard on the left side.  The whole vehicle then pulls to the left and I have to steer right to keep in my lane. 

Both times I was driving about 65 mph on a dry clean freeway with a slight right curve.  The first time I was inside a tunnel here in the San Francisco bay area, and it really scared the S*** out of me.  Second time, the alarm sounded and I just got ready for some creative driving and it did the same thing.  The brakes engage about 5 seconds after the alarm goes off and the whole "experience" lasts about 15 seconds before returning to normal.

I've had the dealer look for the problem and they can't reproduce it.  I've really enjoyed the truck for 2 years now with no issues, but this is a new one to me.

Has anyone heard of problems with the VSC or something like this?  How can I diagnose or narrow the problem down?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

The one item the dealer thought could cause the VSC problem was low front tire pressure. The side I was having the VSC engage (front left) was the tire that was 15 psi low. They thought that this causes the vehicle to lean farther to the left when I would make a right turn at freeway speeds. The VSC is not just about loss of traction, the lean can do it too.

I've not had trouble with the VSC since all tires are at recommended pressure. I notice I have to put air into the front tires once a week. It's good to keep the pressure right for many reasons. Hope that helps.

I just started having the same problem about 2 months ago and had seached trying to find something on this. Year 2000 with 72k miles.

As I'm driving and only during a turn the VSC will come on until I straighten out or slow way down. First time it just came on no problem only warning, second time was at 5AM on the way to the airport and it braked with right side while turning left and pulled me into the other lane. THat could have been very bad as I was traveling ~70MPH. Planning on calling dealer for check out but will check air pressure first.

I would suggest having those tires pulled down, rims checked and replace the valves. It's possible the rim seating surfaces are dirty or rusty and/or the valves are leaking. You really shouldn't lose that much air in that short of a time.

Also you need to check and air up tires as the weather gets cooler. Pressure can go up or down, depending on ambient temperature.

Not surprising the ride is much better, better handling and no warning lights. I haven't checked the pressure in 2 years, but the tires were rotated about a year ago, would hope they checked pressure, but don't know for sure.

Will keep close watch, need new tires soon anyway, found 4 replacements for $680 for everything.

Not surprising the ride is much better, better handling and no warning lights.  I haven't checked the pressure in 2 years, but the tires were rotated about a year ago, would hope they checked pressure, but don't know for sure. 

Will keep close watch, need new tires soon anyway, found 4 replacements for $680 for everything.

what brand???

Check out Tirerack.com Have them delivered to a dealer or a tire install place from their site. They will call you when they arrive. I picked up 4 michilin LTX's, for under $600 delivered. Michilin had a $50 rebate also! I had them installed by the dealer when it was in for an oil change.

Not surprising the ride is much better, better handling and no warning lights.  I haven't checked the pressure in 2 years, but the tires were rotated about a year ago, would hope they checked pressure, but don't know for sure. 

what brand???

Same as on it, LTX. Price is installed, balanced, lifetime rotation, and replacement road hazard. One shop did off a Bridgestone equivalent for 608, same terms. I checked about 6 places and they ranged from $680-$710.

Still no more problems on the VSC light :cheers:

• 15 years later...

Thank you for this post.  I was having the exact problem with the 2000 LX470  I bought this morning. After reading your post I checked the tires and added about 20PSI per tire and problem went away.  What was remarkable was that i was able to reproduce the problem every single time on an S curve in my neighborhood.

• 2 years later...

I just bought a 2004 RX 330 and I’m having the same problem. Only seems to do it above 40 mile an hour and only in an S curve when accelerating. once you let your foot off the accelerator, the braking stops and the vehicle just slows normally.
Putting new tires on tomorrow and having to TPMS checked as the tire pressures were correct. 
Will update as soon as I figure something out after three days of research have not found anything until I found this link. 

12-17-2022
So here is what’s up. It’s a combination of things. Ultimately it is the steering angle sensor setting off the problem. Using an advanced scanner. The mechanics at Tires plus in Hunters Creek, FL diagnosed that due the worn steering rack the play in steering wheel was 40 degrees off on the right and 10 to left. There by at certain times I could be 50 degrees off when guiding my vehicle down the road. 
So now scheduled to put a new rack, left strut, sway bar link, and an alignment. Then all should be good for a while. 

Edited by Glenn the Dad
Update