Rotors

I have done some research on performance drilled and slotted rotors some rotor mfg like brakestop or irotors put either zinc or cadmium coatings on there rotors. I can see were it will help on the slots and hubs, but not on the surface of were the pad would ride, but I have seen a lot of cars were the rotors are so shiney the look like silver. Can anybody give me some input on this. Also which is better cadmium or zinc Thanks, my lexus is a 04 gs300

those coatings you're referring to are only put onto the "non-pad" area.

you can certainly delay the rusting of the had and finned area by these coatings, or, try to G2 brake paint. It is good stuff.

Perhaps those other rotors are still shiney because the owner drives like an old lady. Perhaps the car lives in a garage most of it's life.

I doubt that they are doing anything 'special' to achieve that look personally.

ps. zinc is a good rust preventative. look at some of the good stuff at www.eastwoodcompany.com

those coatings you're referring to are only put onto the "non-pad" area.

you can certainly delay the rusting of the had and finned area by these coatings, or, try to G2 brake paint.  It is good stuff.

Perhaps those other rotors are still shiney because the owner drives like an old lady.  Perhaps the car lives in a garage most of it's life.

I doubt that they are doing anything 'special' to achieve that look personally.

ps.  zinc is a good rust preventative.  look at some of the good stuff at www.eastwoodcompany.com

Guy, You are the best !!! there is zinc coating which is the most economical, It protects the rotor except the surface where the pads are received , Cad - waste of $ Try lexuspros.com they have decent specials on rotors and plating right now !!

My rotors are plated and i don;t drive like a granny.

But my rotors are reflective enough to see my reflection from my driving style of just enough pressure when needed, so i almost never get warped rotors from overheating/cooling.

G2 is a great caliper paint.

I would NOT use it on the hub surface as it will not let the wheel seat properly, i did it so i know.

A thin layer of black spray thermal paint works great on a nwe rotor