Help: No Power On Acceleration

92Lex

I just took my 91 out for a spin after getting it to finally start up and now there's no power on acceleration. The car vibrates when I put the pedal to the floor and slowly crawls up to speed. Someone help me please.

is your idle really low and rough? and can you smell raw fuel coming out of the exhaust?

Try reseting the ECU , disconnect the neg. battery terminal for 1/2 hr. you will loose your radio presets and seat memory !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT IS WORTH A TRY .

wow some of the advice sounds like a relief BUT :blink: i have a 91 400 and somtimes it drives fine but somtimes all of a sudden the od/off starts to flash and i notices a difference in the acceleration response the manual says its somthing in the tranny im hoping it is not a major problem does anyone have suggestions for me? hopefully i can just change the fluid PLEASE HELP!

I just took my 91 out for a spin after getting it to finally start up and now there's no power on acceleration. The car vibrates when I put the pedal to the floor and slowly crawls up to speed. Someone help me please.

That is the exact same symptom my LS gave me when my spark plug holes got soaked with water.After we blew the water out, the car was fine. What kind of plugs and wires did you use when you changed them? Any malfunction lights?

Nitty, sadly, Lexus doesn't have any maintinance reminders(I think some of the newer ones do though). You are probably looking at a new tranny in the near future. Blinking O/D off/ECT PWR(on the 95-? I'd bet the 98+ gives you the message in the text read out. I dunno.) is usually an indicator of serious troubles. But, who knows...maybe some fresh fluid could help. It's extremely easy to do-just release the drain plug on the tranny, and roughly 2 quarts come out. Refill at the dip stick, and you're done.

:cheers:

I idle is neither low or rough, it seems normal...even when I increase the RPM's to 3k it still seems fine. I do smell raw fuel though. I've had the battery disconnected for awhile because I changed out the cap, rotors, wires and plugs recently.

They are a good distance away from each other. The tranny plug is in the middle of the car. You'll see it if you crawl under the car inbetween the passenger's side front and back door. I think it's a 14mm bolt(correct me if I'm wrong 99-maintinance guru!). It looks like a regular old bolt with a washer on it. This is how it is on my '95. A '91 could be entirely differnet though.

:cheers:

That is the exact same symptom my LS gave me when my spark plug holes got soaked with water.After we blew the water out, the car was fine. What kind of plugs and wires did you use when you changed them? Any malfunction lights?

There are no malfunction lights. I used all OEM parts besides the spark plugs (laser iridium). I've read something on this board about loss of power and that it might have something to do with the cruise control cable...does that sound right?

THANKS SO MUCH BUT I JUST RAN INTO ANOTHER PROBLEM I DISCONNECTED MY NEG BATT TERMINAL IN HOPES OF RESETTING THE ECU NO MY TELASCOPING STEERING WHEEL GOES OUT BUT NOT DOWN ALSO DOES ANYONE HAVE A DIAGRAM OF THE FUSE BOX? I DONT HAVE THE COVER TO MINE THANKS YALL

Your tele wheel doesn't go down because your presets are no longer in the memory , You have to reset all the seat , mirror , and steering wheel preferences along with your radio stations etc... etc... How doesa it run now ?

92 lex: did this happen as soon as you changed plugs? because i had someone change to iridium plugs and the car wouldnt idle, and as soon as he put the original stuff back in the car ran fine.

another possibility is that your ignition coil is gone. any friends with the same car? you can try change out and see if that solves it.

92 lex: did this happen as soon as you changed plugs? because i had someone change to iridium plugs and the car wouldnt idle, and as soon as he put the original stuff back in the car ran fine.

another possibility is that your ignition coil is gone. any friends with the same car? you can try change out and see if that solves it.

Yes, this happened after I changed out the plugs but I also threw in the old ones just to rule that out. I spoke to my brothers friend that worked at a lexus dealership before and he told me that my timing belt probally jumped a tooth. So I just finished taking everything apart so I could play with the timing belt. Tried adjusting it but the installation marks on the belt are no longer there and it's hard to actually see where it should line up exactly. I was planning to reposition it according to the book but since my timing may be off I didn't make any new marks on the belt. So my car is in pieces right now and I'm trying to figure out a way to get the marks to line up perfectly....any suggestions?

check and make sure that your trottle position sensor is plugged in, also since you change you spark plugs make sure that your you plugged in the mass air flow sensor, because you did have to remove the air box and ducting to change the plugs. also your check engine light might be out, you can check it when you turn the key on but not start the car, your owners manual will tell you how to check the light.

the only other thing that i could think of would be to take the TPS off and check to see if the shaft move and the sensor checks out with a meter. my 91 ls started giving me a check engine light about 4 months ago, when i check the trouble codes it gave me 4-1. the TPS, and would do it when I first started it and go away when i reved up the motor. One day while drive around 40MPH the car completly fell on its face, I limp it home about a mile away, removed the TPS, checked it and reinstalled it, and adjusted it. it seems to work but the light will turn on once in awhile. One day i'll stop working on my jeep and install a new one. that's about all I could think it is, hope it helps

• 3 months later...

92Lex...please tell me how you set the belt. My car did the same thing and I've been adjusting my cams one tooth 5 or 6 times now with no good results. It's such a pain in the !Removed! to take the timing belt tensioner off every time! But same thing- no marks on the belt and i'm just guessing the crank on "0" is correct- marks behind cams look fishy- i can't tell which one of the cams is off. Any way to check?

• 1 month later...

I recently changed my timing belt and plugs and wires and my 92 LS is having some of the same symtoms. I checked and I have an error code 24 which is the IAT Inlet Air Temp Sensor Signal. I'm still trying to get to the bottom of it, but I'm leaning towards it being the Mass Air flow Sensor. I'm buying a new one from the dealer to confirm or deny this problem.

My car did the same thing. I was returning home from school one day and all of a sudden the car became verry sluggish and shook alot on acceleration. For some strange reason the car seemed fine on idle but as soon as I wanted to accelerate, it shook and had no power. I thought that the transmission was going to be the problem but after hours of messing with the engine the daylight faded into dark. I then noticed a spark coming from one of the plug wires. I had recently taken the car to a mechanic to change spark plugs/wires/etc. He did not use original Lexus parts. One of the wires (which provided power to 4 of the cylinders) was misfiring onto the engine block. I bought original wires and plugs from my dealer and have not had a problem since (14+ months).

You may want to check this out!