Xm Radio

lex looking

I am considering purchasing the GX470, but waiting for the '05 models to arrive. :whistles:

I noticed that the '05 LX470 is to come with XM radio. Anyone have any idea if the GX470 will also come with XM?

Assuming it doesn't, I have an XM Commander that I might want to install. However, I have seen people elsewhere on the internet say you can't install a satellite radio in Lexus because of the NAVI system. I don't know why that would be. Any suggestions, ideas, or anyone with satellite radio that they installed?

Thanks, :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
I am considering purchasing the GX470, but waiting for the '05 models to arrive.  :whistles:

I noticed that the '05 LX470 is to come with XM radio.  Anyone have any idea if the GX470 will also come with XM?

Assuming it doesn't, I have an XM Commander that I might want to install.  However, I have seen people elsewhere on the internet say you can't install a satellite radio in Lexus because of the NAVI system.  I don't know why that would be.  Any suggestions, ideas, or anyone with satellite radio that they installed?

Thanks,  :cheers:

I had the XM Commander installed in my 04 GX (with NAV) with no problems. I had them put the display centered in the blank vertical panel just above the seat heater switches. It isn't real easy to see there, but it looks like it belongs there. I velcroed the remote control next to the gear shift and operate everything from there. Despite the recommendations against it, they installed the antennae in the center of the dashboard as far forward as possible. The reception seems to be good around Chicagoland. We have travelled from Chicago to South Carolina with it and the reception was fine through the whole trip. Hope that helps.

I had the XM Commander installed in my 04 GX (with NAV)  with no problems.  I had them put the display centered in  the blank vertical panel just above the seat heater switches.  It isn't real easy to see there, but it looks like it belongs there.  I velcroed the remote control next to the gear shift and operate everything from there.  Despite the recommendations against it, they installed the antennae in the center of the dashboard as far forward as possible.  The reception seems to be good around Chicagoland.  We have travelled from Chicago to South Carolina with it and the reception was fine through the whole trip.  Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info, nice to hear directly from a user. :D I believe the XM is offered as an option in the LX, so why not the GX? I don't think I'm crazy about not being able to see the display, one of the things I like is being able to see what's on other stations before changing. BTW, I'm in Chicagoland too!

:cheers:

I had XM radio in my CTS, and loved it. My CTS had a vid screen in the dash like my GX does, and having everything integrated from the factory was great. The XM station information was right there on the screen, from type of music, to artist and song name, to station genre listings.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Assuming it doesn't, I have an XM Commander that I might want to install.  However, I have seen people elsewhere on the internet say you can't install a satellite radio in Lexus because of the NAVI system.  I don't know why that would be.  Any suggestions, ideas, or anyone with satellite radio that they installed?

Help is on the way. Check out http://www.vaistech.com/aic100x.html. It is supposed to be released this month (Jan/05) and integrate in to the Navigation/audio Lexus head unit. I'm waiting for the iPod version of this unit that is supposed to ship this month as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Help is on the way. Check out http://www.vaistech.com/aic100x.html. It is supposed to be released this month (Jan/05) and integrate in to the Navigation/audio Lexus head unit. I'm waiting for the iPod version of this unit that is supposed to ship this month as well.

Good news! the AIC 100x is out!

Apparently the only way you get song/artist info on the video screen is if your radio is Mini disc-controller compatable. How do you find this out?

I just got my '05 and was told that Lexus has a unit that direclty installs and integrates into NAV unit. Was told cost of installation and unit nearly $1000. I have not physically seen it yet, but sounds like if you want to spend the $, there is a very clean option.