can I get the a/c condenser fixed reasonably cheaply?

The aircon place up here that everyone uses (Flores in Middlesbrough) reckon that my condenser may be on the way out.  They say that they can't fix it because a lot of the hybrid stuff on my 400H has to be removed to get at it.  Is this true, and if so what are Lexus likely to charge me for a replacement condenser? The car is likely to be worth less than the part as it's done 172k miles now, but it would be a shame to lose it because of an aircon problem.

Mike

Here's some good advice:

Lexus RX400h AC Condenser Replacement Costs (yourmechanic.com)

As you will see, if other conditions of the AC system have caused the condenser failure, additional cost may be necessary, so it is important to have the system checked for root causes.

• Like 1

I can't hear or feel the air conditioner engaging and disengaging when I switch it on and off via the car display.  I'm sure it used to change the engine note and a slight clunk could be heard.

Is it possible that it's not getting the signal to switch on?

Mike

9 hours ago, RX400h said:

I would think so.

Dave - would such a fault be flagged up on a diagnostic, and is there a way of me checking this myself by buying some kind of ODBC connector?

Mike

Hello, Mike. Typically, there would be a warning light on the dash. However, it is always a good idea to have an OBD II reader. The only warnings I have seen, so far, have been a shifter warning that is always due to an older 12V battery that needs to be replaced. If you do buy an OBD II reader, you should get one that is capable of reading Toyota/Lexus codes. 

Here's one possibility, although it'd be prudent to query the seller about the reader's compatibility with your vehicle.

Amazon.com: ANCEL TD700 OBD2 Scanner Fits for Toyota Lexus Scion All System Code Reader Transmission Fluid Temperature TPMS Relearn ABS Engine Car Diagnostic Scan Tool Fits for Prius Tacoma Camry Corolla Tundra : Automotive

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

well .... it seems to be fixed for a total of £334 including recharge and new condenser.  This is despite the guy having to reassemble the car because the condenser that was listed for the car was incorrect and he had to order a different one and come to my house to fit the replacement new one.  He had the system on pressure test for about an hour after completing so hopefully won't need to look at it again for a couple of years.

My normal aircon place said they wouldn't touch it because loads of hybrid parts had to come off.  I don't think they did 🤷‍♂️  And I really dread to think what Lexus would have charged me.

I will keep you updated 🤞🏻

Mike

• Like 1