Free Air Subs

Has anyone replaced the 10' free-air sub in a GS with an aftermarket unit?

If so, what would you reccomend? Has anyone tried to use a 12' ?

I have used product from Directed Eletronics flllow the links below to see what they offer. Great speakers. Look at the Viper series, orion, PrecisionPower and the directed series...

http://www.directed.com/audio/viper/sub/default.asp

None of those seem to be suitable for free air use... did I look in the wrong place?

Does anyone know who makes Free air subwoofers anymore? I know Infinity makes a couple but they only handle 175w rms. Pioneer makes a 12'... but pioneer stuff is a little low quality from my experience.

Does Boston or Phoenix Gold or MB Quart make free air subs anymore?

• 4 weeks later...

I recommend the SoundStream Exact subs. They handle globs of power, will work very well free-air, and are overall the best sub for the money. They old exacts are fine, the new ones are better. I don't know your car to well, but the exact 10" should fit with a simple square wooden baffle board, but the 12" might be a stretch because of the huge magnet and the cars gas tank. While, kicker and other companies make free-air subs as part of their entry level lines, the Exact is actually a high-end subs.

The trick to a good free-air set up is to think of the trunk as you box, and act accordingly. Make sure their are as little leaks as possible, especially between the trunk and the inside of the car (the air behind the sub and in front).

This is in reply to whether they still make "free-air" subs:

The trick to knowing which sub works free air is in understanding the parameters. Some (very few) will actually work free air even though they do not say so specifically. This is because subs typically handle less power free air, and companies do not want to take on the liability, so they don't recommend it. They realize that most people have no clue how power-handling in a speaker really works. A good installer will know which subs will work. generally you want to cut back on the power to only 70% of the woofers power rating, will using it free air. To estimate the results using a speaker box program, select a sealed box design, and enter the size of your trunk as the volume of the box, which is really what "free-air" is. a good program will then tell you the ACTUAL power rating of the sub in your setup.

Sorry for taking up so much space, but I hope it was useful.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think i just blew the Nak sub in my 98GS400, will the 12" JL Audio IB4 setup work in my car, with the stock amp?

The Pic that Steve@Lextasy.com posted doesnt seem to work for me :(

Also, will a new Mark Levinson work with the Nak. system in my 98GS4??

-Taran

So there's nothing i can do? I dont want to put in another amp just to run a aftermarket sub. I'd like it if i could replace the Nak sub with a aftermarket one in the factory location (even if its the same size) using the factory amp. Is there any sub out there?

Also, my head unit is acting up, i was wondering if the Eclipse 7301 by Fujitsu Ten that was being discussed in a thread a while ago will work with the Nak system? and Nak Cd changer in glove box? From what i read, it doesnt seem to likely :(

Any Help?

-Taran

• 4 weeks later...

Steve,

I'm interested in getting a little more info about what your doing with the speaker conversion for the IS300. I just picked mine up and have noticed that the bass is very weak. Any other suggestions of what I could do to bump it up a little.

thanks,

Dan

• 1 month later...

Hello!

I have installed in my IS200 a 15"Velocity SPL Sub Free Air. Is no Problem with sound and deep frequenzes. My Amp is a Monacor Carpower Digital Mono with 800Watt RMS. The Woofer had Dual Voice Coil and 600 Watt RMS 1400 Watt Peak.

Pics of the first install to test her: My IS with Sub tested

greets

Tom´S from Europe

Im glad im not alone here :rolleyes: .Having problems my self trying to find a 8 inch free air sub to replace the 8inch on me series 1 Ls400.

I also found that kicker has the best choice,but the bolt holes are different from the lexus one...lexus uk want £127 to replace it!!! :(

Im hoping to buy a kicker one and adjust it to fit in my car.The trouble is most shops over here,dont carry the 8 inch free air in stock and want me to order and pay before i get it.Any thoughts guys?

Hy!

install a 10" Woofer in the hole. make a adapter to install the woofer, or is no place for a bigger woofer? 8" is sweet ;) 10" is better und you find more different woofers to buy. have you see the new pioneer series?

link to the german page: Pioneer TS-W255F

greets

Tom´S

• 5 years later...

• 1 month later...
I think i just blew the Nak sub in my 98GS400, will the 12" JL Audio IB4 setup work in my car, with the stock amp?

The Pic that Steve@Lextasy.com posted doesnt seem to work for me :(

Also, will a new Mark Levinson work with the Nak. system in my 98GS4??

-Taran

yea man there is no way to do that cheaply period. especially w/ the NAK system, major over haul w/ the whole system

btw, i was also looking around to match my new Alpine IVA-w203 w/ a sub to keep it all alpine... and i found this Alpine Free Air Sub its a UK sub which is different but hopefully planning on getting it w/ in the next month. gotta spend a little to prepare the area before i go trying to throw a sub in there!!! hope this helps yall out

also anyone wanna point me in the direction of a DIY on removing the backseat so i can remove my stock sub... THANKS :cheers: