13 Seconds To 60?

CanadaCraig

Hi Guys!! :)

I recently bought a digital camera. [my first] AND am having some fun with it. One thing I did was make several videos of my LS gauges WHILE gunning it from a stop. After having seen those little video's - I realized that my impression of my LS being particulary SLOW was not just in my head. After repeated attempts - the quickest my LS can get to 60 mph is 13 seconds. A few times - it has taken 15 seconds. From everything I've read - my LS should be much quicker than that. Lexus suggest that it should only take 7.9 seconds to get to 60. My car runs fine. Doesn't seem to stutter or spurt of anything unusal. But is IS a DOG off the line. So much so - it's annoying. Any ideas what could be causing that? Everything has been checked - so says my Lexus dealer. AND lots of 'things' have been replaced. [spark plugs, spark wires, fuel filter, etc.] Even the valves have been adjusted.

How quickly does YOUR first generation LS get to 60? Do you know?

Craig!! :)

Well what you have to understand is that the figures the magazines and carmakers publish are found on:

Brand new cars

In perfect weather

On a drag strip

Using brake revving to start

No A/C, minimum amount of gas, no cargo

Odds are you're not getting the most out of what the engine CAN do, your test is more of a test of real world acceleration. The Gen 1 LS is not particularly fast. You might get around 8.5 for a third gen LS in the real world...

If you floor it your just drowining it with gas...give your self a limit and dont let it redline on the first gear...another thing is check your tire pressure...also...try getting to about 25mph then hit the gas...you'll see that your LS will fly...just limit the acceleration at the take off...try and get it to throw in second gear @ about 4300rpm, then work on it from there...your car wont have take off, but your sure to blow some people by at higher speeds...just my two cents...if you know how to shift properly you can start off on low gear(1) then change the gears yoursellf...but if your not to experienced with that dont do it...you might hurt your tranny

Travieso~13

My 92 is definitely below 9 seconds to sixty. For best performance I brake torque to about 900-1000 RPM just moments before starting off, and then jam the pedal into the carpet. The engine management system will not "drown itself with gas"; it will provide the exact mixture strength for full power, as established in the PCM for full throttle. On dry clean pavement, I am sure the car is within just a few tenths of its performance when new. I can't imagine that these engines degrade much over time.

They have tall gearing for sure, so the off the line perfomance is a bit slow, but once they are rolling, there are few cars that will stay with them. I haven't lost a race yet!

I agree SRK...I went to the store a few hours ago and tested twice...both runs gave me about 9seconds 0-60...I wouldnt give it all the gas but when second gear kicked in I would floor it and it went...the other day I took off w/a buddy of mine, he has a '74 Pontiac Formula 400...he has it a bit supped up...he took off a lil ahead of me probly about 1/3 of the car...then when I hit second gear I just flew by him...I stopped though cause I have a DUI and a speeding ticket...and a couple of points on my license...this car has potential for power and and speed a lot i'd say most people dont like more power on these...I would personally go all out...either that or buy a nice dream car which is the '04 GTO...hopefully I keep my LS too....

just my 2 cents

this is really slow, even gen I shoudl be faster, mine does 0-60 in 7.8 secs and i'm sure i can push it even further, i know engines on gen I LS are really realible and powerfull,which leaves your tranny as the cause of the problem.

Well what you have to understand is that the figures the magazines and carmakers publish are found on:

Brand new cars

In perfect weather

On a drag strip

Using brake revving to start

No A/C, minimum amount of gas, no cargo

Odds are you're not getting the most out of what the engine CAN do, your test is more of a test of real world acceleration. The Gen 1 LS is not particularly fast. You might get around 8.5 for a third gen LS in the real world...

I will have to disagree with you here bud. I get constant 6.5 or less every time I test it at night (humid Florida weather too). Knock on wood.

In addition, cars with higher mileage run better then when brand new. However, there is a line of diminishing returns. Don’t believe me? Read long-term car testing reviews, you will notice 0-60MPH improves dramatically after putting 40-60K on the engine.

Hopefully when things cool a bit down here, I will post results of my G-tech… I can almost guarantee a less then 6.3sec stock, according to the 6.4-6.7Secs I have been getting on 95% humid 85F+ nights.

I agree SRK...I went to the store a few hours ago and tested twice...both runs gave me about 9seconds 0-60...I wouldnt give it all the gas but when second gear kicked in I would floor it and it went...the other day I took off w/a buddy of mine, he has a '74 Pontiac Formula 400...he has it a bit supped up...he took off a lil ahead of me probly about 1/3 of the car...then when I hit second gear I just flew by him...I stopped though cause I have a DUI and a speeding ticket...and a couple of points  on my license...this car has potential for power and and speed a lot i'd say most people dont like more power on these...I would personally go all out...either that or buy a nice dream car which is the '04 GTO...hopefully I keep my LS too....

just my 2 cents

Your times will be much better if you floor it from zero rather then 5Mph or more. Test your method at the track if you still have some doubts. In addition, these cars are equipped with fuel injection, so you’re really not drowning it with fuel, especially for cars outfitted with VVT-i..

The reason why it gives you more at 25MPh is because our LS's have DOHC engines, and naturally a DOHC engine delivers better at higher RPM's, that’s why you get a strong kick when you floor it at 25MPH, which is about when first gear is around 3500 RPM. (I’m just guessing there, not exactly sure about the 4spd).

Grand LS what your is your LS and what kind of mods do you have?:)

this is really interesting since factory 0-60 for brand new gen II LS is 7.1 but i was never able to do this time. i wonder how ure gettin such good results. oh and for Gen I LS it is around 8 secs as far as i remember. you prolly have some serious mods installed to get such nice timing.

Craig,

A lot of the responses here are wrong. :) Your car shouldn't deteriorate to the point that it's that slow. Our '91 LS400 will almost keep up to my '92 SC400 which ran a best time of 15.420 in stock form +sub box (90 pounds). So 0-60 on the LS should be about 7-7.5 seconds.

What kind of gas are you running? 87 octane will knock, throwing the sensors and making the EFI cut back on timing and putting it into limp mode. I'd fill it up with good gas, and go out on the highway and blast the thing out. The harder you drive them the harder they pull, as the computer and trans computer will adjust to your driving style.

Still, 13 seconds, there's something wrong. Any LS isn't a rocket ship but should be at a sub 16 second 1/4 mile at 88 mph or so, 1/8th mile should be about 10 seconds flat at 72 mph or so. So 13 seconds to 60 mph is WAY off.

Good luck!

Aaron

Sorry to say this but you are driving a LUXURY SEDAN (not a SPORT CAR) so why are you complaining that the car is too SLOW...

What an ignorant comment. Totally uncalled for.

Any one would be curious/worried if thier car wasnt performing as it should.

:chairshot:

Sorry to say this but you are driving a LUXURY SEDAN (not a SPORT CAR) so why are you complaining that the car is too SLOW...

Being that it is luxury car is irrelevant in this discussion because we are not comparing the car with another sports car or any other vehicle. But, simply just comparing it to what “LEXUS” suggests it should be. ;)

Just like 90LS', I have never floored it!!!!

But, if I get a chance I'm going to be right on it. :D

Because a ~3700 lb car with 250 hp should be faster than 13 seconds 0-60. Did you know the LS400 is in the top 100 highest MPH cars list??? LOL yeah it's a funny one, for some reason they list it as a 155 mph car.

Anyway, he has reason to question it, and it's better to find out what he needs to fix than drive around with a limping car.

BTW, a mid 15 second car isn't fast, but its certainly not slow. The LS400 is no sloth...

Aaron

p.s. Some of you have never floored it!?! :blink: It's a toyota! Give her *BLEEP*!!! Serously I've always given my Toyotas a healthy dose of the right foot on a fairly regular basis, and I've got over 450,000 on a camry, over 350,000 on my SC400 now... a car is meant to be used, if you don't floor it it *may* carbon up and cause preignition which will ultimately damage the engine. Try out that little microswitch under the gas pedal! It's fun... :D

Id say...that little switch under the pedal is hella fun...the car just shoots like a bottle rocket...I love this car...Luxury+Speed=A very happy me...very little people know on the streets that this car is what I like to call "A SLEEPER"...I've had people tell me..."Wow...that car has a V8...." Thats what I like Fast Luxury for something I can afford for know...The 0-60 is about the same as my '90 Mustang GT would give me...

Grand LS what your is your LS and what kind of mods do you have?:)

this is really interesting since factory 0-60 for brand new gen II LS is 7.1 but i was never able to do this time. i wonder how ure gettin such good results. oh and for Gen I LS it is around 8 secs as far as i remember. you prolly have some serious mods installed to get such nice timing.

Actually, the factory numbers for my Ride is 0-60 Mph is 6.3secs

If you take a good look stair at my signiture, it clearly states 98 LS - Cashmere Beige :D

I hope you heard about those :D

add 1-1.5 secs and you will get a real time, it said 7.1 for mine but i was never even close to that in the full config, i had to remove the back seat and spare tire and had only 1/4 of gas in the tank when i did 7.8 which was the best result.

may b when LS is raced professionally on the track and is brand new it would be another story but in our case we can just tell those factory settings to other ppl and check their reaction.:)

add 1-1.5 secs  and you will get a real time, it said 7.1 for mine but i was never even close to that in the full config, i had to remove the back seat and spare tire and had only 1/4 of gas in the tank when i did 7.8 which was the best result.

may b when LS is raced professionally on the track and is brand new it would be another story but in our case we can just tell those factory settings to other ppl and check their reaction.:)

Well, my tests with the G-tech showed 6.3-6.5 times in humid weather. Will test after weather cools down a bit and report my findings.

p.s. Some of you have never floored it!?!  :blink:  It's a toyota! Give her *BLEEP*!!! Serously I've always given my Toyotas a healthy dose of the right foot on a fairly regular basis, and I've got over 450,000 on a camry, over 350,000 on my SC400 now... a car is meant to be used, if you don't floor it it *may* carbon up and cause preignition which will ultimately damage the engine. Try out that little microswitch under the gas pedal! It's fun... :D

It's not that I feel I'm going to hurt the car in anyway. Its because I stopped driving it when I felt it was the right time to let her go wild...(damn older brothers). :angry:

I'm waiting anxiously for him to come back so I can test out that little button. B)

Frankly, I don't give a crap if it breaks down on the side of the road or burns to death (damn older brothers) :censored:

Long story short: borrowed my car, messed it up (lost the working Lexus remote key), messed the HELL out of the cars paint (took it to automated car wash), don't know how to reverse (back bumper needs to be replaced). Leather is damaged, interior can't be brought back to its original condition.

Basically drowned two owners (including me) dedication and hard work to keep the car looking new body&mechanically (brand new for that matter) in about 2 months. :o