Steering Wheel Leather Fade

I was cleaning my steering wheel with leather cleaner and overdid it. The original color is a shiny brown, the cleaner took off the clear shiny glaze and the brown color leaving a large beige/white section. Anyone know of a way to restore the color and the shine?

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up some leather paint/repair kit from this company on the internet called Leather-Renew. I re-colored the steering wheel. Looks good as new now. :) Only $26 + shipping

it sounds like you have good grounds to sue them

or atleast get the money back for the product and repair one also

i would contact them

what do you have to lose

onme reason why i don't like most products that are not in a pro shop

next time use the coco butter i think it would be much safer for the leather

unless it is for gator skin

lol

later

Yeah I used the leather cleaner before I heard about the cocoa butter from you. Anyway, it may have been partially my fault, cuz there was some old accumulated dirt on the steering wheel and I rubbing really hard to get the stuff off. I think I may have just rubbed too hard.

Yeah, you dont want to rub really, you want to lift the dirt out with the product. I've hurt steering wheels before being to aggressive, they're pretty hard to clean.

However, NO leather cleaner should discolor leather just by being splashed on the seat. The leather cleaner should be able to dry completely on the leather, and not damage it.

• 11 months later...
I picked up some leather paint/repair kit from this company on the internet called Leather-Renew. I re-colored the steering wheel. Looks good as new now. :) Only $26 + shipping

Does this stuff work? My steering wheel is embarassing looking . . . so bad that I have it covered with a wheel cover (and I HATE wheel covers!) I've seen a lot of other Lexuses with the same problem.

How does it work? Do you have to get the old paint off omehow, and then apply this stuff? I am really curious. . .

Thanks!

Bryan

Mine is flaking off at the top also but in order to paint it i would have to remove all the paint and it wouldnt look as good

So in order for it to look good i would have to replace it completly

but that guy does have the do it yourself kit which is pretty cheap as much as painting it almost

Mine is flaking off at the top also but in order to paint it i would have to remove all the paint and it wouldnt look as good

So in order for it to look good i would have to replace it completly

but that guy does have the do it yourself kit which is pretty cheap as much as painting it almost

It wouldn't look as good as what? As replacing it with new leathers? I know it wouldn't look as good, but it should be cheaper.

The DIY kit is like $75US I believe . . . how much could the paint cost?

Regards,

Bryan

To use the paint it should be about

$25 for paint

15 prep

and 20 primer

so a total of 60 to make it look as good as possible since otherwise it will not be able to adhear properly

his kits also go right over the spokes unlike the wheelskins ones which look bad since it doesn;t go over them for a factory look

Oh no . . . I prefer the non-cushioned wheel . . . I was kind of hoping it would be new leather :)

I hate how my stupid cover-over steering wheel cover makes my steering wheel so thick! It would be really nice to have complete new leather. . .

I'll consider getting that kit you mentioned . . . has anyone else tried it before? Is the DIY kit hard to install?

Regards,

Bryan

Cool . . . I'd be interested to see how it turns out. Some pics would be cool too B)

I haven't even looked at my steering wheel since the day I bought the car . . . I right away bought a cover before I showed it to anyone, and I haven't taken it off since :huh:

It would be nice to see some real leather on there again :D

Regards,

Bryan

• 8 months later...
Cool . . . I'd be interested to see how it turns out.  Some pics would be cool too  B)

I haven't even looked at my steering wheel since the day I bought the car . . . I right away bought a cover before I showed it to anyone, and I haven't taken it off since  :huh:

It would be nice to see some real leather on there again  :D

Regards,

Bryan

I know this topic is dated. However, my leather wheel has numerous metal flakes - could be glitter - "imbedded in the leather. Most of them are approximately 1/64" or smaller. I tried to remove one of them to no avail. any tips will be appreciated. The leather is in great condition to be seven yrs. old.

I was cleaning my steering wheel with leather cleaner and overdid it. The original color is a shiny brown, the cleaner took off the clear shiny glaze and the brown color leaving a large beige/white section. Anyone know of a way to restore the color and the shine?

Eagle One seem to make their products very (Acidic?)strong (their A2Z Wheel Cleaner will stip alloy in no time flat also)two good reasons to be very wary when/if using their products

JonM

Jon- A2Z strips alloys in no time flat?!? People use it at Autopia all the time and I've never heard of that happening...

It can only be left to dwell for 15-30 seconds and has a pH value of something like 1.0.

The guys that do use it (Autopia) use it for badly stained wheels and then polish/refinish them, I don't think many/ if at all use it on a regular basis

JonM