Water Getting In Between Window And Door

lex

Does anybody else have this problem? After washing my 92 ES300, and after drying. If I roll down the windows and roll them back up they are all wet again. Seems like the high pressure water spray is forcing water in between the window and the door. Is this just because the bottom window door seal just getting old? Any fix for this?

i don't think this is necessarily a problem. doesn't this happen with all cars? it's just that the seal at the bottom of the rolled up window is wet. and when you roll it down you are basically rolling the wet seal on the dry window. and when you roll it back up.. your window is wet. after a car wash you should just wait till it dries up.

actually, the water is getting all the way inside, cuz i took the door panel off once to fix a rattle and the plastic cover was caked with water spots. Also after the car wash, it takes several days until the window finally rolls up dry.

I also have a 2001 Corolla that smears the window if I open than close it after a car wash. I called it a problem in a previous post but it's really not a problem.......all Toyota vehicles do this. I just rented a new Nissan Maxima and that did it too.

Alan

ok

just trying to clarify

when the car is washed the outside is wet again when rolled up

or the inside of the window?

as the outside is very normal as already stated from the seal getting soaked and rewetting the window

as for the indise plastic getting wet

does this problem also happen with rain?

you may want to not aim the power washer nozzel so close to the sills of the window or gasket as it willl force water in

rather than let it drip out like when it rains

yeah its on the outside, sounds like its common, but its annoying that it takes so many days to dry. When I meant the plastic, inside the door i meant the plastic bag that separates the outside from the inside.

skp, don't assume everyone takes their cars to the "get your feet wet in DIY bay" car wash. If it is a drive thru, then we have no control over the spray or direction or pressure or duration.

Lex, it is odd that it takes "a few days" to dry out. However, even if there was water getting into the inside of the door, there are drain holes, so water should not be pooling. This is a little puzzling, especially since I can not see it up close and personal.

A thought would be to remove the inside panel, then gently spray the outside of the window with your own garden hose (low pressure of course) and see if water is leaking into the inside of the door. you may even be able to pinpoint where. It may be that the seal or trim piece that acts as a barrier may need replacing. Piece of cake, had to do this once cause Circuit City broke one on my SSEi while trying to pry it up.

steviej

skp, don't assume everyone takes their cars to the "get your feet wet in DIY bay" car wash. If it is a drive thru, then we have no control over the spray or direction or pressure or duration.

Lex, it is odd that it takes "a few days" to dry out. However, even if there was water getting into the inside of the door, there are drain holes, so water should not be pooling. This is a little puzzling, especially since I can not see it up close and personal.

A thought would be to remove the inside panel, then gently spray the outside of the window with your own garden hose (low pressure of course) and see if water is leaking into the inside of the door. you may even be able to pinpoint where. It may be that the seal or trim piece that acts as a barrier may need replacing. Piece of cake, had to do this once cause Circuit City broke one on my SSEi while trying to pry it up.

steviej

very true steviej

i reread the above post and it was

" the high pressure water spray "

and i assumed he meant power washer

are you using a power washer or a car wash?

lex?