Nakamichi Stereo Vs "standard Unit"

Can anyone break down the differences for me between the "standard" stereo for a 98-99 GS400 and the "Nakamichi" unit??

I recognize Nakamichi as being a great stereo/audio company from my time spent in Japan while in the service, but would like details about the two different systems. ie. # of speakers, wattage, sound quality, EQ's, etc.

THANKS!

• 3 weeks later...

THE 98 NAKAMICHI GS RADIO HAS CONTROLS TO ADJUST THE BASS, MID AND TREBLE. THE PREMIUM ALL PIONEER SYSTEM ONLY HAS ASL (AUTOMTIC SOUND LEVEL)CONTROL AND CAN NOT BE ADJUSTED. SO SCORE ONE FOR THE NAK SYSTEM. THE ONLY OTHER DIFFERENCE IS THE PIONEER MADE CHANGER IN THE 98 GS NAK SYSTEM HAS A BLUE COLORED DIGITAL CONNECTOR TPORT TO RUN DIGITAL CAQBLE TO THER EQUALIZER BOX SO SCORE ANOTHER SOUND ADVANTAGE FOR THE NAK SYSTEM. YES THERE IS SONIC IMPROVEMENT WHICH IS DEFINITELY HEARD IN THE NAK SYSTEM EVEN TO UNTRAINED EARS.

• 2 weeks later...

I just found out that I am getting a 1998 GS300 tomorrow (June, 27th, 2003) as a surprise. I have been reading up about the car because I don't know too much about Lexus' and have more knowledge of BMW's and Infiniti's. Anyway, I haven't seen the car yet and wanted to know what you thought of the sound quality between the Prem. Sound System v. the Nakamichi one. Any idea if they have an AUX input for a Delphi SkiFi Satellite Radio Receiver I want to throw in, or is the only option to use an FM Modulator? I don't know which one I'm getting and would like to know the wattage of the Premium System, which I think is made my Pioneer? I think the Nakamichi has 220 watts through 5 amps and seven speakers? How would you compare these two systems with Infiniti and Bose car audio systems. Lastly, are the HID's optional in the '98 300/400, or were HID's not available in '98. Thanks. So excited to get the car so that's why I'm asking all these questions when I could wait a day and find out myself. Thanks all.

Chris Whatley

Auburn, AL

sorry to inform you that the autotoys adapter shown to work on gs cars does not work. as the picture from autotoys shows there is a 12 pin cd changer port to plug it into on the back of the gs radio. very sorry to inform you there is no 12 pin cd changer port on the back of the gs 98 radio in fact there is no cd changer port at all only the radio port.. the adapter company that made the adapter did not do their homework very well. they assumed all 98 lexus have a 12 pin cd changer port on the back of the radio just like all toyota products. but for some reason lexus made the gs stereo system like no other toyota product. it has no 12 pin port in the system anywhere to be found to plug the adapter cable into................................................................................................. you may think i know not what i am talking about but in actuality the adapter company doesnt know what they are doing on this one.. autotoys will wash their hands of it if you buy one and blame the adapter company. how do i know all this.. because i have personal experience and have a lexus radio sitting in my basement that the adapter company blew up trying to make it work with their adapter. they are way out of thir league on trying to figure out the idiosyncraSIES OF THE LEXUS AUDIO SYSTEMS

YES ALL GS300 98 UP ARE NOT PREWIRED FOR A CD CHANGER IF NOT ORDERED WHEN THE NEW FROM THE FACTORY. THAts why the adapter from autotoys wont work.LETS HOPE YOUR GS300 HAS A CD CHANGER OR THAT IT HAD ONE WHEN NEW BUT REMOVED BY THE LEXUS DEALER PRIOR TO USED CAR RESALE. IF YOUR BUYING THE GS300 FROM A LEXUS DEALER TELL THEM YOU WANT THEM TO INSTALL A GS FACTORY CD CHANGER OR YOU WONT BUY IT. DONT LET THEM INSTALL A 150.00 FM CHANGER FROM BEST BUY TELL THEM YOU WANT A REFURBISHED FACTORY CHANGER WITH TOYOTA PART NUMBER 86270-30150. IF LEXUS ORDERS A REFURBISHED CHANGER (THEY COST 550.00 )IT WILL COME WITH THE GS CD CHANGER WIRE WHICH PLUGS INTO THE AMP, THE CD CHANGER AND A POWER PORT BEHIND THE AIRDUCT ABOVE THE RADIO.THRE CHANGER WIRE ALONE COSTS 250.00 FROM LEXUS SO BETTER TO GET IT WITH CHANGER. IF YOUR NOT BUYING IT FROM THE DEALER I KNOW A GUY WHO SELLS THE WIRES AND CHANGERS.

sorry to inform you that the autotoys adapter shown to work on gs cars does not work. as the picture from autotoys shows there is a 12 pin cd changer port to plug it into on the back of the gs radio. very sorry to inform you there is no 12 pin cd changer port on the back of the gs 98 radio...

Pioneersby,

I see what you mean; it definitely says for (1998+ ES, GS, LS RX) [Type II-NON=NAKAMICHI]. So you'd think it would work on the GS. I have an ES, the Pioneer HU has the 12 pin connector, so I think I'm OK. I wonder what Type II means?? Do you have a Type I HU?

2%20DIN%20radio%20%20back%20side.jpg

Check the connector on the left.

Tom

PIONEERSUBY,

I think that I'm okay. My '99 GS300 came with the Lexus Premium "Pioneer" system that includes the 6-disc cd changer. I have not pulled it out yet to look at the back, but think that I will be okay when purchasing the AutoToys adapter to enable me to add on an AUX audio source.

Thanks to all you guys for the technical info. This is my first time using any kind of Web Forum and see that it is TEN TIMES BETTER than having to call all over the place to find the same info.

Peace out.

YUP THE 12 PIN CONNCTOR ON THE LEFT IS THE CD CHANGER PORT FROM AN ES300 RADIO . THE ADAPTER PLUGS INTO THE 12 PIN PORT ON THE LEFT AFTER YOU DISCONNECT THE CD CHANGER CABLE... TYPE 11 IS ADAPTER COMPANY TALK FOR NON NAKAMICHI. TYPE ONE IS FOR NAKAMICHI ES300 HEADUNITS..........................................................................................AS FAR AS AUGUY THE 99GS OWNER WITH THE FACTORY CHANGER .THATS GOOD YOU HAVE THE CD CHANGER CABLE BUT THEIR STILL ISNT ANYWHERE TO PLUG IN THE ADAPTER. IF A 98 UP GS OWNER CHECKS THE BACK OF THEIR RADIO THERE IS NOT A 12 PIN PORT LIKE ON THIS ES300 PICTURE ABOVE. SO WHERE DOES THE ADAPTER PLUG INTO? I DONT KNOW AND I DOUBT IF THE ADAPTER COMPANY KNOWS EITHER.THERE ARE NO 12 PIN PORTS ANYWHERE IN A GS STEREO SYSTEM. THE ADAPTER COMPANY IS REALLY MEESED UP ON THE GS AND ALSO ON 98 TO 2000 SC MODELS. THE SC HAS 12 PIN AT RADIO BUT A 15 PIN PORT AT THE CD CHANGER END. SO IT ALSO COULD NOT POSSIBLY WORK ON THE 12 PIN PLUG OF THE ADAPTER. IT MAKES YOU WONDER HOW WELL THE ADAPTER IS GOING TO LAST WITH THE ENGINEERING MISTAKES ON THE COMPATIBILITY OF THE ADAPTER. GS OWNERS GO AHEAD AND BUY ONE BUT I DONT KNOW WHERE YOUR GOING TO PLUG IT IN. SEE IF AUTOTOYS WILL GIVE YOU YOUR MONEY BACK IF THERE IS NO WHERE TO PLUG IT IN ON YOUR 99GS.

• 1 month later...

PIONEERSUBY!

I tried to e-mail you directly, but the board wouldn't let me.

I have a 93 GS 300 and I need to put a CD changer in it. I'm willing to replace the radio as well(in fact I'd like to). I noticed in one of your postings that you mentioned you can get some of these items. I've located a Lexus factory nakamichi radio and changer. I would like to install/have this installed. My local dealer says that they will not perform the replacement. I've installed my share of car audio, and I believe that I can handle it. But I want it to be as nice and as perfect as possible. So any cables/adapters that I can get to make that transission would be huge.

Thanks,

DC

does your 93 gs radio have a cd button. if it does your prewired. if it doesnt your not prewired for a cd changer and will need custon made cable. lexus would half to sell you entire main wiring harness($1200.00) so i am sure no dealer has ever sold one just install a cd chaNGER. the only other problem is the nak system switch would need you to switch the amp to nak and also the sub and possibly the speakers. the pioneer door speakers should be ok if your not at highest volume on everyday basis. so it would be easier to stay with pioneer system only requiing plug in and play instaltion of headunit and changer install on top of the amp in trunk right q- panel

• 9 months later...

there were 3 completely different audio systems in 1993 sc300. radio p1600 had internal amp and no cd button. it is not adaptable to lexus cd changer system. if you have the premium system with cd button radio p6800 you are prewired and can plug in any first generation cd changer. the nakamichi system n104 (id number on the cassette flap door)came wioth a cd changer standard so assuming you dont have that headunit. i just realized while tyoping this that the 99 sc400 premium system radio would fit in the dash and would plug into the 92 sc p1600 no cd button system wiring harness.. i havent check it out yet but that may be the answer to switching systems. the 99 sc300 external amp could be mounted behind the glovebox and the out to speaker wires could go out from there. plus the 99 6 disc factory changer is way advanced over the 92 to 98 sc 12 disc. email me at pioneersuby@woh.rr.com for part numbers of the amp and headunit. i think it will be a plug in and play switch. a cd changer cable would have to be run to the trunk but thats no problem. the 99 6 disc cd changer has brackets that would mount on top of the 92 subwoofewr amp bracket in the left quarterpanel.