Never Go Through A Carwash

i went through a touchless car wash on sat night, and i came out 1 body panel lighter! the plastic moulding panel (the grey panel along the bottom of the doors that comes halfway up) flew off when i went under the dryer...apparently it had 2 broken clips, and the 3M adhesive tape was old and nto sticking anymore. i got home beforei realized it was gone, at that point i was worried, cause i could have lost it anywhere between the car wash and my house (a quick jaunt down I-35 at 80+).

i ver quickly turned around and went back to the car wash when i noticed it missing...and there it was...

a quick stop on the way home for some 3M andhesive tape and it looks good as new (i re used the 2 intact clips and then 3M adhesive taped the HELL out of it.)

anyway, thought i would share...check all your exterior parts to make sure they arent falling off, before you enter the wash. LOL.

Quote: Never Go Through A Carwash, when your lex is old... :(

~One mans opinion / observations~

Never Go Through A Carwash, [when your lex is old...] period :(

‘Touch less’ carwash:

This type of automatic car wash use high-pressure water and strong detergent to clean vehicles, also be aware of those that use ‘wheel guides’ as they will cause scratches / etching to the wheel surfaces.

You will also need to renew the vehicles sealant / wax to ensure the paint surface protection on a regular basis to counteract the effects of the harsh detergents.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

Quote: Never Go Through A Carwash, when your lex is old... :(

~One mans opinion / observations~

Never Go Through A Carwash, [when your lex is old...] period :(

‘Touch less’ carwash:

This type of automatic car wash use high-pressure water and strong detergent to clean vehicles, also be aware of those that use ‘wheel guides’ as they will cause scratches / etching to the wheel surfaces.

You will also need to renew the vehicles sealant / wax to ensure the paint surface protection on a regular basis to counteract the effects of the harsh detergents.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/  Jon

heh, i knew that, but i didnt realize that the car had parts falling off of it. with the exception of 3 key areas on my paint where its lifting off the metal due to in adequate paint coverage, the paint is in PRISTINE condition...

and it wasnt any of the detergents that did it, it was the blower. i heardit blow off, but in my old car, i had a pop can dent in my roof that used to pop all the time when i went through this car wash( which want very often), so i didnt thinkanything of the p"pop" sound. the main reason i wanted to go through this carwash was so that i could pinpointany leaks...there were none (cool!) so...yeah...

unless your point was never go through a car wash at all, in which case point well taken, i dont usually. 2 or 3 times a year maybe. the rest of the time my cars are washed by hand.

BTW, what does the car look like with the bottom cladding off

is it just like the upper paint?

if it is i wouldn't mind taking mine off. <_<

probably be more of a pain then its worth though

no,it has a bucnk of holes in the panels and the paint is not glossy.