Free Air Subwoofers

[How many people have this sound system set up? I am thinking about replacing my stock 10" woofer with a more powerful free-air subwoofer...but i'm not sure...i have 2 12" inch subs and a 1200 watt amp that i had in my old car...but i want my LEX 2 stay classy...i don't want all the rattling and stuff...lemme know whatcha have...

i replaced my 10in free air with a rockford fosgate 10in free air it sounds pretty good and is decently loud for only one ten its a fosgate rz3410 i believe but you will have some trouble finding a free air sub seeing as how they are no longer made by any one anywhere in the world :censored: your best place to find one would be ebay good luck

I just relaced my stock subwoofer not to long ago. There are some things you will need to consider.

1. Very few after market subwoofers will clear the stock hole. The reenforced baskets on them is just to large. Including the current smallest RF sub.

2. How are you going to get signal to the amp? I have mine running off the 'hot' sub wires from the stock amp. It sounds ok, but the stock amp does something to the signal at higher volumes, like it reduces the signal, which in turn makes the sub quieter when I want it loud the most.

3. Taking the car apart to put the new sub in is a !Removed!. I ended up snapping my rear deck cover trying to take the damn thing out and put it back in. 12 year old fiber board does not like to bend.

4. Free-Air subs no longer exsist. You will have to make do with one made for a box.

All that said:

What I had to do was go with a Lightning Audio 10" sub, not because it is a good sub but because it was the only one that would fit. Also there is a good deal of engine whine coming through the amp. With the low pass filter on it dissapears but then so does my mid-bass. Mine sounds better now than it did stock but just know what you are getting into.

Pioneer Free Air Sub is the way to go. I installed it by making a custom frame bracket that way it doesnt sit to Low.

I have a mrdm500 alpine amp about 500 watts pumpin into it, and an EPI Center which expands the bass.

The car sounds like it has 2 12s in it no exagerationthis setup i beleive is the way to go. i have pics but i cant post them i keep getting errors.

Pioneer Free Air Sub is the way to go. I installed it by making a custom frame bracket that way it doesnt sit to Low.

I have a mrdm500 alpine amp about 500 watts pumpin into it, and  an EPI Center which expands the bass.

The car sounds like it has 2 12s in it no exagerationthis setup i beleive is the way to go. i have pics but i cant post them i keep getting errors.

Hey can e-mail em to me? I'd luv 2 see the picz...and how ur system looks! What is the Model number for the Pioneer Sub? What are the Specs?

i replaced my 10in free air with a rockford fosgate 10in free air it sounds pretty good and is decently loud for only one ten its a fosgate rz3410 i believe but you will have some trouble finding a free air sub seeing as how they are no longer made by any one anywhere in the world  :censored:    your best place to find one would be ebay good luck

hey what kind of AMP do u have pushing the sub? and can u give me the specs on the SUB...(RMS, MAX Watts)...

I have a JBL10IB4. Awesome sub, but they haven't been available for a while now. The Pioneer free air is also a good one. If you get one, just be sure to get one that was designed to be a free air sub and not one that just says it's OK for free air use. It won't sound nearly as good.

I have a JBL10IB4. Awesome sub, but they haven't been available for a while now. The Pioneer free air is also a good one. If you get one, just be sure to get one that was designed to be a free air sub and not one that just says it's OK for free air use. It won't sound nearly as good.

i know...thanx...i have seen a couple that is made for FREE AIR and FREE AIR only...thanks again...

free airs deff exist but are no longer manufactored

the amp im useing to push my fosgate is a 500 watt 4 channel ive got it bridged so its only getting 250 watts the sub its self is a 400 watt so ive got room for improvement and it still sounds nice

I am using a six channel input five channel output Alpine V12 amp to power all of my cerwin vegas. I have 2 12" in my trunk and have found that having smaller boxes makes a more accurate base. I have the subs facing up angled about 15 towards the cabin. Sounds very good in the front, but too much base in the back (nobody ever sits in the back, though).