Es300-questions

Hi everyone,

My name is Chris and im from Sydney, Australia. There are no forums like this in Australia but ive read alot of posts here and its very informative. I am contemplating buying myself an ES300 a 93-94 model. Im sure that this kinda question has been posted 10000 times but I didnt really find what I wanted when I was looking.

I just wanted to know basically what these cars are like. Ive had alot of european cars and only one jap car which was is a Mitsubishi. I want a Lexus because ive heard of reliability and mainly because for what you get I believe they are awesome...So,What should I be looking for when I buy this car? What kinda kms should I get out of the engine? Any gripes I should know about?

Ive read through some posts and there is nothing really that seems to go wrong with these cars such as other cars that have consistent problems throughout there cars.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris

My ES is a 94 model. I bought it in August, 1994, when it had 7,500 miles on it.

It now has about 118,000 miles.

My repairs over these ten years (other than routine maintenance) have included replacing both front CV joints (the boots cracked) and the very common air conditioning problem involving the expansion valve. The valve cover gaskets need to be replaced. It drips one or two drops of oil on my garage floor every night. However, the oil level barely moves off the full mark on the dipstick over a 4,000 mile oil change cycle.

I think you will find this is one of the most trouble-free cars you can buy.

I would suggest that you find a 94 rather than a 93. In the U.S., the engine was upgraded on the 94 model. Both engines are 3-liter; however, the 94 engine block is aluminum. The 93 engine block was cast iron. I think you will find that the 94 engine, on average, is more trouble free.

thanks so much for that, very informative. It seems all cars have problems...and Lexus arent immune to it either!!!!!

You see, in Australia right now, u can buy a 92-94 say ES300 for anywhere from $9000 to $18000. They are fairly common now and ive seen quite a few in dealerships. Alot of young guys are now buying them and lowering them and putting chrome wheels on them, they look like a million bucks if u just do them up a bit. The reason why I am buying one or wanting to buy one is because everyone knows of Toyota/Lexus legendary reliability. There are few of these V6 engines that i have seen here that have clocked up crazy kms. This one I know of reading a while back has 624,000kms! Its a 1998 Camry V6.

I need a car that is reliable because I will be getting into sales and I will be in my car alot. Ive had about 4 mercs and they are great but I cant afford the ones I want! THe ones I can afford are from like mid 80's nice and all but old. I want something more modern and reliable. The ES300 has hit the spot for me.

I cringe though when I read the problems they have but.....

Hi everyone,

My name is Chris and im from Sydney, Australia. There are no forums like this in Australia but ive read alot of posts here and its very informative. I am contemplating buying myself an ES300 a 93-94 model. Im sure that this kinda question has been posted 10000 times but I didnt really find what I wanted when I was looking.

I just wanted to know basically what these cars are like. Ive had alot of european cars and only one jap car which was is a Mitsubishi. I want a Lexus because ive heard of reliability and mainly because for what you get I believe they are awesome...So,What should I be looking for when I buy this car? What kinda kms should I get out of the engine? Any gripes I should know about?

Ive read through some posts and there is nothing really that seems to go wrong with these cars such as other cars that have consistent problems throughout there cars.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris

Hi everyone,

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris

:cheers:

Hi! Chris. I have a Toyota Windom which is the Japan home market version as the Lexus brand is not available there. Mine is a 1993 es but has the smaller 2.5 V6 engine. I have had it for over 4years and it has done 145,000 klms. I bought it at 82'000. It is a great car with very little repairs. Drivers door electric window driver replaced, New boot on the cv joint and some new tyres. A couple of the needles on the dash are out and are expensive to repair. I change the oil at 5000ks. Here in NZ there are quite a number of these cars and spares are easy to get.

As for the Lexus Aus/NZ site it seems to have gone into recess but there is a Toyota owners club which you can access via the Network links at the top of this page.