Sylvania Xtravision 9006 Bulbs

lex

ya b4 i put my hid's in i melted one of my fog light's wires cus of some 80wt bulbs, don't do it , theirs a reason u can get them so cheap.... get piaa, not sure about the new silverstars , has anyone called 2 check.

• 1 month later...

i installed new high performance wire harnesses and then put 100 watt xenon bulbs in mine and havent had a problem at all.i did have the silverstars in mine and they were great but since i changed my harness before putting a higher watt bulb in i wouldnt recommend doing it with your stock harness.pepboys sells the 9006 high watt harnesses for like 5 bucks so if you change them you should be fine.also since i put these 100 watts in i can really see a huge difference in light.they are 4000k and look kind of blue but are very close to hid now.

whoops i meant i put in 9005 sockets and toke out the 9006 ones.so now i have 9005 high and low beam but the high beam is still brighter.the low beam now looks alot bluer and brighter.i might burn out my sockets but so far so good and its been a week so i think it would of burnt out by now if it was going to.

• 4 months later...

if you don't want to fool around with the hid kits and new harnesses and all that. just get the sylvania silverstars, they are probably the closest u can get to the hid look. they are a lot brighter and whiter than the stock bulbs. and i've tried some others like nokya artic whites, and they all just look cheap to me. the silverstars look very classy on a lex

If you want to stick with halogens then go with the Silverstars or PIAA bulbs. A friend of mine opted to go with the 80w 9006 aftermarket bulbs for his RX300 and 2 months later the harness started to melt so he changed them out. The higher wattage bulbs will eventually kill the harness unless you do what bbsal did and upgrade the harness. Now if you really want bright lights then get a 9006 rebased HID kit! I just ordered a kit made of Phillips components (the ONLY way to go for a retro kit) and I can't wait to get it installed! Anyone interested in one I'd be happy to hook them up with the guy I got mine from. He's got a great reputation with on other boards.

J

• 11 months later...

hey jeremy, can u let me kno who this guy is that i can get this HID lighting kif from? i'm looking to put it in my gs300 and also if u can fill me in on how hard/easy it is to install. my main concern is finding a place in the engine housing to secure the ballasts, etc. thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever you do don't get the silverstars, (north america), get the Xtravision...alot more light but not as white and lasts 2x longer, 2x cheaper. Better filiament.

Philips Hi visibility 9005 (OLD STOCK...newer ones are not as bright) is good too. I was lucky to find some and they are AWESOME over stock! Some of my friends thought it was HID at first from inside the car!

Anyhow only get the silverstars if you want just looks, but for safety (lumens) Xtravision hands down! Trust me on this if nothing else because I have been researching this subject to death...yes I do need a life... :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Now if you really want bright lights then get a 9006 rebased HID kit! I just ordered a kit made of Phillips components (the ONLY way to go for a retro kit) and I can't wait to get it installed! Anyone interested in one I'd be happy to hook them up with the guy I got mine from. He's got a great reputation with on other boards.

J

I put a Phillips HID kit in a 92 es300 and it looks SICK. It's a car that bluebooks at $5000 and it looks like a $30,000 car. ....but we all know that about Lexus. The HIDs with the stock yellow fog lights look pretty cool too.

• 1 month later...

You should have a look at danielsternlighting.com This guy is an expert in all aspects of automotive lighting. He talks about all the different products on the market and knows the science behind it. There is a comparitive chart on lumens output of all the competing bulbs showing how each sizes up. If you are going to buy halogen bulbs there is only 1 as far as I am concerned. HIR or Halogen Infrared technology is far superior to the Silverstar or anything Sylvania has. They are a little tougher to find but I have just told you where to purchase them. He doesn't list them in the products for sale but he does sell them. They cost somewhere around a hundred bucks for 4. Lumens output on the Silverstars from their own site are; 1000 lowbeam and 1700 for the highbeam. The HIR are 1870 and 2350! They are standard wattage and last as long as OEM bulbs just a really significant advance in technology. I believe that they are OEM in several of the european sports cars and high end north american. Do not buy the ones that IPF make ( I made that mistake) as their bulb shape is fragile. I am pretty sure that when I emailed the guy above he said he sells Phillips. Any questions email him he is truly a lighting genius. He comments on the blue tinted bulbs and the legality of changing over to HID. He showed me how to aim my headlights correctly with the new bulbs in.

I know that with my headlights on the LX450 on highbeam it is truly mind blowing how much the road lights up.

• 5 months later...

Anyone have any experience with replacing their low beam (in particular, h4) with the extreme white plus bulb? PIAA says there are sometimes problems with bulb blowouts due to voltage surges on some vehicles-any light on the subject is appreciated!

• 6 months later...

I had an '02 BMW 530i that had the HID lights on the low beam and ulgy stock yellowish halogens on the high beam. I replaced the high beams with the Sylvania Silverstar and the color temperature was almost the same as the HID lights. I most recently had an '06 GS300 that had the HID low beams and I replaced the high beams again with Silverstar bulbs and again the color was almost the same as the HID. Although there was no mods to the high beam reflectors on that car, I thought the pattern of light produced by the Silverstar bulbs was better than the stock Halogen Bulbs. It actually looked different, it wasn't just the color, the Silverstar bulbs were much better - not necessarily brighter, but there was more coverage with the Silverstar high beams.

Mark