Help Help

GSsoldier

guys i need to know how to get better 0-60 times... and also faster launches off the line....

what i have tried was power on, braked and reved... and after launch i still get 10 sec 0-60....

when i brake rev... i notice that the revs get limited to 2k... is that just me or is that the ecu??? anyway to disable that? or fix that problem?

please help guys

for a 16 year old i cant afford another car at this time....

Do yourself a favor and stay outta jail ;)

Not to mention the extreme cost of components like transmissions etc on the LS. If you can't afford to buy a new car you can't afford to replace the tranny when you blow it either.

This is one of those times where you can't avoid Hormone Alley. If you can direct the need for better 0 - 60 times toward keeping the car a show piece worth driving carefully, it will still attract the girls, and the safety and luxury will let their parents feel better about your staying out late with them. You don't have to be a nerd to have a Lexus; and you can still "pimp it". Besides, you'll save bucks on repairs, gas, and tires; that you can spend on upgrading the car.

My 2cents

Lexus LS400 is a fast car, but it is not quick. You need to do a longer race. I want try to talk you out of hot roding, when I was your age I didn't listen either. I will say this, it is a waist of a nice car to see it torn up trying to run a 1/4 mile race, or any race for that matter. :chairshot:

Jimmy

when i brake rev... i notice that the revs get limited to 2k... is that just me or is that the ecu??? anyway to disable that? or fix that problem?

well first off, it may be hard for some of you to believe, but even a 17 yr old like myself can vouch for the fact that "hot roding" is not the brightest idea. I used to do this too, but unlike just about every other teen driver, i grew out of it fast. I now baby my 94 with 170k+ on the clock b/c i want her to last a long time with limited repairs.

Even though I ignore the urges that sometimes pop into my head, I can still understand from a teenager's standpoint why you do it. I also know that nobody can talk you out of still doing it.

So, with that being said, i will do what i can to help you propel yourself to 60 a little quicker. First: the quote above--the LS has a gated transmission and will not let you rev any higher than 2k. I am not sure if this can be changed and what controls this. If your LS revved any higher than 2k, that would mean that your tranny is slipping (bad) and you would have many other issues.

About performance in general: you know the drill right? clean your throttle body, plug & wires, dist cap/rotor, air filter, etc.

The 2k rev point is the torque converter achieving its stall speed. Hold it too long at that point and the fluid temperature will skyrocket in seconds. Damage will follow.

You can race the thing, fling it around, beat the hell out of it. Just be prepared for it to break, and don't complain when it does.

I'm 49 and I still street race any punk that thinks they are quicker. If the Lexus doesn't do it, I get the Camaro. If I break them, I will fix them.

Okay, my turn. Now I have to agree with guys above because they're right. Trying to change your LS into something it's not designed to do is going to very hard and rather expensive, and you may not like it afterwards. If your intentions are to drag or do something foolish, then you won't suceed. If you want to race or learn how to drive with skill, I'm going to recommend attending a racing acedemy. Skip Barber and Bridgestone Firestone are really good training schools, plus they can teach you how to drive.

1UZ-FE has some good suggestions at the bottom of his post. To me the best solution to getting a better 1/4 mile is to reduce the weight of the car, and changing the all of the fluids in the car. A new intake will help drive a little bit more air into the chamber.

Good luck with your modifications.

My elder sons reminded me this evening that they had been into VW beetles really big in the 70's. After 15 years, many modified engines, many repairs, etc; they have returned to the fold. Both have VW's, one is completely redoing a 1974 Ghia; their comments: the engineers at the companies created these engines to power the car efficiently and appropriately; and to get the best service with the least maintainance. Now some "kids" want to change that and do a better job. The balance between economy and performance the factory built into the car can be altered, but at a real price in wear and tear down the road; usually a short road. Most of us old farts have tried it, and with few exceptions, we're back to original specs.

yep. even a young'n like me can appreciate a completely original, stock, healthy LS, the way it should be. I dont plan on doing anything to my car other than regular maintenance. if you start to modify things, you start to lose the "Lexusness" of your car.

just my 2¢

haha sorry guys i havent been online dad disabled the net for a couple weeks or something it felt like an eternity....

i wish i can quote each and everything but that would take lots of time...

SRK- i feel like that too all the people that have there civics in my school parking lot, revving their engines like its hard, i just have to do something to them so they can realize true lexus might... and i do try and fix and install things myself in the LS... just a few days ago i installed clear corners... and JDM tail lights... which i have to say doesnt look too great on my car so im contemplating selling them or giving them to my friend with a LS too...

to everyone - i understand what im doing, when i feel the need to race... hazzards to it.... damaging the lexus.... acidents.... getting smoked by a four banger that has good low end torque... to try and solve most of these problems... i;ve been working to either upgrade my LS... which like someone noted will lose its lexusness... and i think im willing to give up some of it... or the other option is to buy my aunts used IS300 manual.... she said she sell it to me on a monthly plan... thats if i get a steady job and get into college... only time will tell...

thanks everyone for concerns tips, words of caution

:D :D :D

-joe

btw... NICE FORUM UPGRADES BEAUTIFUL LAYOUTS admins!!! good job!!!