Check Engine Light

firstlexus

:huh: How do I diagnose a Check engine light problem on a 98 ES300

it came one once before a month ago but went away after a couple of days

this time it's been a week and it starting to annoy me. any suggestions.

anyway I can troubleshoot this myself.

You can't really diagnose the check engine light yourself unless you have an OBDII coded reader. However, your local AutoZone will read the code for you for free. Then, come back and post the code on here, and someone with a repair manual can give you Lexus's list of problem areas.

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

I finally got the chance to go to Auto Zone and get the Code from the OBD.

P1410 is the Code with added message "Secondary Emission Device"

any suggestions?

thanks

I have 94 ES and the check engine light went on and off after the dealer replaced the O2 sensor, then it came back after 2 weeks, I brought it back and they said it the CAT. Converter, I replaced it, didn't help, didn't pass smog check, I brought it back and complaint, they replaced the second O2 sensor, and that fixed it. The best part was since they misdiagnosed the first time. They replaced it for free.

Are you sure it is not code P0141? There is no code P1410 listed for the 1MZ-FE.

If it is code P0141, then that is for O2 senosr Bank 1 Sensor 2. This is the one that is in the curved section of the exhaust pipe.

Raise and support the car safely. Use a O2 sensor socket to take the old one out. Follow the wire up to disconnect. Replace with new. These sensors can be had at Toyota or on the web (www.o2sensors.com) for less than the Lexus parts counter.

This sensor is $89. here is the link 1998 ES b1s2 O2 sensor

I have attached a pic to show you the sensor. It is the spark plug looking thin in the curved seciton of exhaust pip. Under the imposed word "pan"

ATF_Change_004.jpg

good luck.

steviej