Sound System

laxdude3622

i have a 12" boston acoustic pro series sub in an inclosed box laying in my trunk. i took out the stock sub from under the brake light. Ive got the sub running at around 500watts so its nothing to amazing. I also sound deadened the trunk, including the gas tank. There are no rattles which is nice, but its hard to get alot of air flow to come out of that 10" hole under the brake light. the sound deadner made a HUGE difference though in that small area. I plan on getting a spoiler with a break light, taking out the light in the car, and cutting out a larger hole and some how covering it up. but that wont be for a while. I suggest 2 12's if you dont mind not having a trunk.

I've got a pair of pioneer TS-W305C's in a sealed seperated box. These are 12" subs advertised for 400w RMS each. The enclosure is the reccomended size, I believe it's 1.5 cubic feet per sub, so it's rather large and does take up most of the trunk.

The subs are facing rearward, and the box is in the centre, pushed up against the gas tank side of the trunk. Of course I bolted the setup down so it doesn't slide around. The amp I'm running them with is rated for 460w RMS into 4 ohms, but I've got it running into about 2 ohms or so, so who knows how much it's putting out. It is 2 ohm stable but I doubt it's putting out 920w RMS.

Anyway, this setup sounds excellent, I've also got a 40w x 4 ch amp driving the mids and highs, and the sound staging and overall response curve is excellent to my ears (and I use yamaha S55 monitors at home for my centre channel).

In the next few weeks I will be building a FG enclosure to use the volume of the spare tire well to recess the subs into the floor, also putting a battery box on the left side of the frame rails (where the jack bracket is). I'm going to try to see if I can fit the subs just behind the gas tank wall, and the amps in behind the subs.

The entire top plate will be MDF, then the FG will stretch from one frame rail to the other. An MDF divider will seperate the subs. And another divier will seperate the sub enclosure from the amp enclosure. The amp enclosure will be large enough to mount fans under the amps, blowing upwards through the amps. This'll keep the look a little cleaner methinks. I might hinge the MDF over the amps so that I can open it up to do any wiring/settings changes.

Finally I've got that rubberized undercoating stuff, I'm gonna spray the bottom of the whole trunk so the enclosure will sit tight against it and not rattle, and I'm going to bolt the MFD to the frame rails. Currently there are a couple rattles that sound like they're coming from the heat sheilds, but you can't hear them in the car of course. I'll worry about those later as they're not in cabin sounds.

I've got a couple pics of my current setup but I haven't put them on the net anywhere, my last setup was stolen so I like to be a little more low pro with my new stereo. I've got the digi cam from work so if I make this enclosure this weekend I'll take lotsa pics.

Aaron

Sweet guys thanks. See I was thinking about just putting a single 12inch sub in a box because I need the trunk space for my lacrosse equipment. I was looking at some Alpine sub's, cuz my friend just put a 12inch type e in and it is louudd. Imagine if I put a type r in, those things are sweeet.. But yeah I know if I really want it to be loud I should go with JL or Boston Acoustic, etc. But I don't wanna spend too much money, maybe $300-400.

Im running 2 10" Kicker L7's powered by and Xtant amp and it sounds great. I also removed the 10" subwoofer to let the sound in. The trunk does rattle even after using spray on sound deadening. Also vibrates the heck out of the rear panel covering the rear deck. But what do you expect w/ 1000w!

laxdude,

For a single 12" sub you could build a custom FG enclosure to fit on the left side of the trunk, that would keep the space in there. Also I've heard mixed reviews on those Alpine Type Rs.... the pioneers are a good budget sub (the TS-W305C or 305DVC).

I had a pair of the 10" brothers to those subs, the TS-A255C (350w RMS each) and was running a single amp into each (300w RMS @ 4 ohm advertised) in sealed boxes and they were excellent. I've tried a bunch of budget subs in my day and I like these best. But of course I'm no audio authority and everyone has their opinions...

The TS-W305C should be about $70-80 USD each sub...

Aaron

Okay, I know it's not the prettiest but this is my current setup and it sounds damn good. I'm pretty picky and this is decent...

rear view

Side View

- stock nak deck and changer

- Kenwood KAC-649S 4 ch amp

- Kenwood KAC-7201 2 ch amp

- Alpines on rear deck (came with car, no idea the model)

- Nak or ??? in doors (again I didn't touch them, but both mids and highs are playing)

- rear 10" removed

- pair of Pioneer TS-W305C 12" subs

- dual 12" box, sealed, seperated chambers

- 4 gauge wire all around

Things that need work:

- sub takes up too much room (making fg enclosure)

- replacement nak or pioneer components in the doors

- replacement 2-way rounds on the rear decklid

- need new battery (optima)

- battery box in trunk when making fg enclosure

- fans under amps blowing up through them

- a second KAC-7201, I miss having an amp for each sub :lol:

I don't have any SPL numbers from the car, it doesn't produce nearly as much bass as my camry did, because the camry had fold down rear seats. Don't get me wrong it's still quite loud, just a lot more controlled and 'perfect' sounding. Much better overall response curve to my ears. :cheers:

I hope I can do enough calcs when building my glass enclosure to keep the volume of the box as close as possible to the box that's in it. I'd hate to lose the sound trying to make it look better.

This might be ricey, but I'm pretty much anti-rice and I don't think it's over the top. I'm thinking of recessing a bunch of large red LEDs into the upper parts of my trunk, under and behind where the 10" sub used to be. These would be aimed down at the subs and amps, and of course only be on when I wanted them to be (just when I want that kinda look)....

Anyway,

Hope this helps, and thanks for any advice.

Aaron