97 Lx450 & Towing

Thi

I just start using my 97 LX450 for towing a boat that weights around 3000lbs. It seems fine on highway, but when I get off onto inner roads that have some hills, the temperature starts to climb up.

If you do some towing with your LX450 or Landcruiser, do you have any problem with the temperature? Any recommendation? Thanks.

Thi

I had a 1996 landcruiser and I towed a Mako 251 to Mexico. The transmission started going south at 104K. This is a heavy boat and I always kept the OD off. My 1999 Lx 470 seems to do better, but my understanding is that I have the same transmission that was in the landcruiser. I have my partner do most of the towing with his Surburban.

George

Thi, I use mine to tow a flats boat to the keys (about 1000 miles round trip). Mine with all the gas and gear may be at about 2000lb. My temp guage does not move. I am not sure but that does not seem normal. I would check your fan clutch and make sure it is ok. Also the thermostate and the radiator, are they in good shape? I have been told that the temp guage on these trucks is not very sensative (if it is going up your truck may be getting hotter than it shows). Do you have a way to check the coolant temp and see what is going on?

Now that I have practitially rebuilt my truck (including a new radiator and head gasket), it drives like new.

Good luck.

Andrew

Thanks George and Andrew. Next one my list would be a new radiator. I used an infrared thermometer for a rough test of the temperature. It seems to have some blockages. The truck has new fan clutch and thermostat. Andrew, good to hear that your truck is running better/like new. I bought the LX450 for its reputation and reliability; I plan to keep it for a long time.

Thi

just something to consider when looking for a replacement radiator...take a look at the older LC model radiators -- 93/94 model years, I believe. I recall reading somewhere that there was a change in the radiators at some point around 95 or 96. Toyota "downgraded" the radiator. The earlier models are supposed to be better.

Thanks Doug. I already placed an order for OEM radiator through the web. Hope it's up to standard of Lexus. I found a web site: carpartswholesale.com which does not have all of the parts, but they have good price on radiator.

Thi