Front Suspension On Rx300

lenore

My front shock mounts seem to be making a clunking noise on sharp bumps in the road. The shocks appear good, but has anyone changed the shocks or shock upper mounts and solved the noise problem? Also what brand or did you use OEM parts for replacement. I have read that the shock mounts have been improved, but wonder if the aftermarket mounts are also improved? This is on a 1999 RX300 with 106k miles.

Take a look at the message on this forum at

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...&f=5&t=6671&st=. I had problems along this line several months ago, and provided a narrative.

You could probably get by in replacing just the top shock mounts ("suspension support" in some books), but at 106K miles, since the shock strut is off and apart, I'd replace them as well.

Top mounts can be acquired at O'Reilly and others, and include the bearing ring as well.

I hope that helps.

Doug

If you read the above message, then I asked this question some time ago. Yes, it was a suspension support that had to be replaced. Mine was on my front passenger side. Had it done at a Lexus dealer...would have been around $300 I believe, but mine was done under my extended warranty. It is now fixed and we have no more of those annoying noises.

My friend and I had a similiar experiencewith our '99 RX with a "clunking" noise over sharp bumps while turning, especially at low speeds. Lexus replaced the front struts and suspension support under warranty on both of them. THe clunking was still there. It turns out on BOTH vehicles it was the wiper motor bushing that was bad and when replaced fixed the clunking problem. I guess chassis flex made the motor cluck as it is mounted to the firewall. Get the bushing(s) replaced for the wiper motor, you may be surprised.

Jonathan

• 2 months later...

The clunking on the right front was the shock mount, I replaced the shock and mount, total cost $185 for both. Ordered KYB shocks on internet and the mount at my local NAPA store. Have the left side too, that is for my next day off. Incedentally it only took an hour to change one side. Not to bad other than compressing the spring with some spring compressors from harbor freight tools.

I replaced both of my strut mounts and mount bearings after several people insisted that was the problem. The noise is exactly the same as prior. I thoroughly checked everything underneath. Also tried the wiper motor trick. I removed it and drove around the block. No difference.

SO, now I'm completely perplexed. No one has any new suggestions either.

Oh well. Live and learn.

• 5 months later...
My friend and I had a similiar experiencewith our '99 RX with a "clunking" noise over sharp bumps while turning, especially at low speeds.  Lexus replaced the front struts and suspension support under warranty on both of them.  THe clunking was still there.  It turns out on BOTH vehicles it was the wiper motor bushing that was bad and when replaced fixed the clunking problem.  I guess chassis flex made the motor cluck as it is mounted to the firewall.  Get the bushing(s) replaced for the wiper motor, you may be surprised.

Jonathan

Anybody know what the part number is on this wiper motor bushing?