Final Answer: How To Add Nav To '01 Rx

There have been a few posts about this...but I would like a final answer from anyone who might know. How do I add navigation to a '01 RX 300 that didn't have it from the factory?Furthermore, can dvd ability be added also?

Pioneersubuy..I hope you read this...it seems you might have info for me..or can sell me what I need...anyone with info, please post here or email me: alexx@aol.com...

I saw Sunman's installation to his ES...very nice work..wish I had seen that when I owned my ES....can something similar be done to the RX?

• Like 1

the rx dash woudnt lend itself to installing the toyota oem nav unit. the heater controls and radio controls are all intertwined on the rx and would take major dash reworking to make it fit and look decent. the 1 piece units also dont lend themselves to adding a dvd player. the japan market harrier/ rx300 already has a seperate tv tuner with a tv button on the dash panel button selection so a tv tuner and added dvd player/ changer can be plugged into it quite easily with the correct wiring harness . i just got a entire japanese rx300 nav unit system from japan so i can produce a wiring harness for the use on usa setup that has the tv tuner input . i already have on a 2001 rx300 navigation wiring harness ready to go but i want to further refine it so adding a tv tuner or a dvd 6 disc changer or xm radio will be a plug in and play instalation. you wont have to remove your present dash wiring harness. the new harness will just be plugged into your present harness by y connctors. i could also do 1999 and 2000 rx300 by this method.

pioneersubuy...you seem to know alot...but you are way too confusing..........keep it simple....

1.WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO ADD NAVIGATION?

2. AFTER I HAVE ADDED NAVIGATION, WILL I BE ABLE TO ADD DVD PLAYING ABILITY?

I really want to just upgrade to navigation...but if dvd is also possible, that would be nice...all of that WITHOUT changing the OEM screen..

its impossible to make a complicated subject simple , i am not the one making it confusing . it is lexus who is making it confusing. i have been working on a simple plug in and play rx300 navigation conversion since 2001 when they nav system came out for rx300.what follows here is not a simple explanation but all the things i have gone through to retrofit a navigation system. if everything was straight forward then i wouldnt have to buy a japaneses nav system to see how a tv tuner could be added to an rx300 system.. the usa lexus rx wiring diagrams have no information that such a tuner could be added. as it is against the law still to have a tv screen visible to the driver wqhile driving even though all the aftermarket systems are violating that law. but oem manufacxturers still have to follow it, ............................................................. also the rx300 wiring haness for navigation is one system and the one you have now is another and they have no parts in common. your present screen is not a navigation screen it is only a multi display and cannot be converted to navigation use. also your present radio cannot be used on navigation system. only 3% of rx300 vehicles produced had a navigation system so most rx300 screens and rDIOS AND WIRING HARNESSES cant be used. even though everyone advertises their salvaged screens as navigations screens they are not navigation screens. there is even a mistake in the USA salvage yard refderence data where the give the non NAV screen part number aS THE NAVIGATION SCREEN PART NUMBER.86111-48030 WHEREAS THE NAV SCREEN PART NUMBER IS 86111-48070 AND HAS 4 CONNECTORS ON THE BACK AND THE NON NAV SCREEN HAS 1 CONNECTOR ON THE BACK. also the salvage yards if they have a nav system rx300 have no idea there is a dvd nav computer hidden near the jack in the reaR CARGO AREA ANd SEND THEM OFF TO BE CRUSHED without removing the denso made dvd navigation computer. so of 15 salvage yards who list that they have a rx300 navigation system for sale only 1 really had one and the computer already was crushed with the rest of the vehicle. all the others assumed they had a nav system vehicle because they had the multidisplay screen . one tipooff that a salvage yard is misinformed if they say they have a 1999 or 2000 rx300 navigation system for sale. they didnt come out untill 2001. so if a nav system rx300 is in an accident they are being sold as rebuilds and not parted out still in 2004. soon i hope they will be avaialble in salvage yards . .........................so as you can see it is not some simple install . even the aftermarket system wouldnt be a simple install and would look terrible in rx300 dash.so i am continuing on making a rx300 navigation system wiring harness with connectors to add a dvd player. and soon the used equipment will be avaialble that really is the navigation system not the multiscreen display.

thanks for the in depth response...so i guess the answer is that there really is no simple answer....if i am to understand you correctly:

in order for me to add the OEM nav system and have it be displayed in my dash...i would have to replace the display screen and add a computer in the rear of the vehicle...AND i would still only be able to add it if i were to get a connecting wiring harness such as you are developing...

pioneersubuy...please add my name to your email list..if you have one...and notify me when you have come up with a complete system to add navigation to my vehicle...i would be very interested in purchasing this....

• 1 month later...
thanks for the in depth response...so i guess the answer is that there really is no simple answer....if i am to understand you correctly:

in order for me to add the OEM nav system and have it be displayed in my dash...i would have to replace the display screen and add a computer in the rear of the vehicle...AND i would still only be able to add it if i were to get a connecting wiring harness such as you are developing...

pioneersubuy...please add my name to your email list..if you have one...and notify me when you have come up with a complete system to add navigation to my vehicle...i would be very interested in purchasing this....

I HAVE THE 2001 RX300 NAVIGATION SYSTEM READY TO INSTALL ION YOUR 2001 NON NAVC RX300.. EMAIL ME AT PIONEERSUBY@WOH.RR.COM FOR DETAILS.

• 7 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey i just noticed this older post and I am interested in doing the same thing I have a 2002 rx300 non nav and want nav/dvd/mp3/xm capabilities, possibly adding just an aftermarket dvd player either single or double din doesnt matter, just looking for advice as to how to go about all of this. I will also be looking to add subs and an amp etc etc and just want to make sure I get it all done the cleanest/nicest way possible, any information would be great, and/or if you have any products available, like i said I amd pretty open to whatever. thanks

• 2 weeks later...

i guess dc fish is on vacation . he usually handles navigation retriofit kits questions. yes a complete kit with all parts needed to convert your rx300 to fACTORY NAV IS AVAILBLE THROUGH THE CLUB. it comes with both photo and wriitten directions. it uses mint condition used parts and has 3 year warranty. comes with a 2011 map. with the photo and written directions so even a novice at installing stereo systems can due it. it includes the navigation screen 4th gen 2007 gps computer (not the 2nd gen that came with the 2001 rx300 nav.) . gps antenna and retrofit wiring harness also included. ,optional with the navigation radio you can add ipod or satellite receivers which show on the nav screen.and go through the factory amp not fm or tape modulated. the non nav rx300 radio can not add any peripherals only the factory nav

back up camera is possible but not part of the kit.

the club also retrofits es350 2007 tn 2012 from non n av to factory nav.

also 2006 gs430 can be retrofitted to eith 4th gen factory nav or even 2007 to 2009 5th gen factory nav

also 2006 to 2009 is350 or is250 can be retrofitted to factory nav with 5th gen nav.

so far the 2010 up 6th gen factory navs havent had any retrofit kits made for sale by the club. the lexus will have to be driven to the tech team in ohio to make the prototype 6th gen retrofit kit. once the kit is made than it would be made available by mail oder.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I am a new member to this forum - I also have a Lexus Rx300 2002 model with no sat nav. I would like to kit out my vehicle with sat nav,tv,dvd, camera and with spare aux input. i have read the above post and would be very greatful for any information on whether a kit is available cost etc. Thank you. kdhun@hotmail.com.

• 2 months later...

i guess dc fish is on vacation . he usually handles navigation retriofit kits questions. yes a complete kit with all parts needed to convert your rx300 to fACTORY NAV IS AVAILBLE THROUGH THE CLUB. it comes with both photo and wriitten directions. it uses mint condition used parts and has 3 year warranty. comes with a 2011 map. with the photo and written directions so even a novice at installing stereo systems can due it. it includes the navigation screen 4th gen 2007 gps computer (not the 2nd gen that came with the 2001 rx300 nav.) . gps antenna and retrofit wiring harness also included. ,optional with the navigation radio you can add ipod or satellite receivers which show on the nav screen.and go through the factory amp not fm or tape modulated. the non nav rx300 radio can not add any peripherals only the factory nav

also 2006 gs430 can be retrofitted to eith 4th gen factory nav or even 2007 to 2009 5th gen factory nav

also 2006 to 2009 is350 or is250 can be retrofitted to factory nav with 5th gen nav.

so far the 2010 up 6th gen factory navs havent had any retrofit kits made for sale by the club. the lexus will have to be driven to the tech team in ohio to make the prototype 6th gen retrofit kit. once the kit is made than it would be made available by mail oder.

Hi I am new to the Forum and 1st time Lexus owner I am very interested in information regarding said nav kit for 2000 rx300. Thanks in advance. colininco@gmail.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys this is Juan aka DARK GRAY RX350 Im a car audio video tech for 15 years out of LA. From my experience the earlier 2000s Lexus RX models are the hardest vehicle dashes to work with. But Ive got good neews for everyone out there that is interested in adding a aftermarket doubledin navigation radio with all the goodies of today, like bluetooth,ipod or iphone connection,aux or usb inputs aswell as DVD playback and am-fm tuner.Ive been able to modify the existing radio dash and move the AC control unit and fit a aftermarket double din radio. No problem. Im in Temple City,Ca.Let me know if you want this done to your earlier Lxus RX300. email: mejiadon7@aol.com or leave a comment.

Hey guys this is Juan aka DARK GRAY RX350 Im a car audio video tech for 15 years out of LA. From my experience the earlier 2000s Lexus RX models are the hardest vehicle dashes to work with. But Ive got good neews for everyone out there that is interested in adding a aftermarket doubledin navigation radio with all the goodies of today, like bluetooth,ipod or iphone connection,aux or usb inputs aswell as DVD playback and am-fm tuner.Ive been able to modify the existing radio dash and move the AC control unit and fit a aftermarket double din radio. No problem. Im in Temple City,Ca.Let me know if you want this done to your earlier Lxus RX300. email: mejiadon7@aol.com or leave a comment.

Awesome! Where did you put the climate controls? Do you have pics? Thanks

• 3 months later...

for less than 1000.00 you can install factory nav retrofit kit in your rx300 and it will inrease the value of the rx300 as only 3 % of them came with factory nav. if you put in aftermarket stuff.( with life expectancy of less than 1 year before they break). it lowers value of the vehicle. there are no aftermarket stere system lexus for sale on any lexus used car lot. by the time you get an aftermarket system installed and stereo sounding anywhwere close to the factory one it will be way over 1000.00. thern when it breaks one day after the warranty is up who will know how to work on it. the lexus parts are made in japan not some third world country. most factory units are still working well after 10 years. you cant say that for this new crop of aftermarket navigation systems.

• 1 month later...

How can I get prcing info on this for a 2003 RX300? jsebay@softhome.net

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey Juan, I am trying to upgrade my 2000 RX 300 with navigation and such. Is there anything I should expect ? Do you know if the oem from a 2002 es300 would be compatible with my rx300

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello, I am interested in this package you have. I would be interested in the backup camera. Please email me at scission1@comcast.net

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I know this is an old thread, but I'm hoping that PIONEERSUBY sees this. I am also interested in a navigation kit for a 2002 RX300. tx_g33k@yahoo.com

Thanks!

PIONEERSUBY was last active on this forum on Aug 24 2014 so I doubt that he will see your request.

I doubt that an OEM navigation system from 2002 would be desirable since annual map updates for the generation 2/3 system were discontinued in 2013.

IMO, a portable GPS unit like a Garmin provides better navigation and Bluetooth hands free phone that even the newest Toyota/Lexus systems.

If you really want an in-dash nav, aftermarket is the way to go but it will cost far more than a portable Garmin.

• Like 1