Driving With Parking Break On =[

svarog

Yesterday I put my parking break on, because I was parked kind of on a hill, I thought to myself, "im probably going to forget about it tomorrow". So today in the morning I forgot about it, when I got on the highway the car started shaking!!!! I pulled over, to see what was up, just basically pushed the tires and nothing was wrong. Came back home, jacked the car up and moved the tires.. I dont know much so thats all I could do, drove around more, still shaking!!! So only then I figured out that I had the break on. So for an hour I was getting dirty pushing wheels and stuff.

How much damage?

As Alan said, if your P-brake still hold the car youll be allright.

A real smart habit for everyone would be to give your dash a real good glance before you even put your car in gear and leave. That way youll notice your BRAKE light on, or any other info light for that manner.

My parking brakes were trashed when i first had the car. Replacing my rear rotors fixed that problem.

when my brother in law left ebrake on for like 20 miles in my bonneville, he burned both my rear brakes, and one of the cylinders started leaking, after a half a yr 2nd cylinder went out too, , but that was drum brakes, not sure how diffrent it is from lexus since its disk brakes on here, i guess like guys said, if did not wear out brakes, or if it still holds, then you are ok ; )

well incase anyone is still confused:

well i'm not sure about the ES and different gens, but in my 94 LS and the whole gen I LS that even though we have 4 wheel disk brakes, the rear rotors have a drum inside of them that the e-brake/parking brake uses. if you don't quite get it, here it is a little less confusing:

when pressing the brake pedal during normal driving, braking force is applied to the rear wheels via brake pad to disk (rotor) contact.

when you pull your e-brake/parking break when parking and such, braking force is applied to the rear wheels via brake shoe to drum contact.

so, you have 3 different ways to brake your car: 2 sets of disk and 1 set of drum.

I don't think it is possible to put in park when the car is moving...I have tried with an old subaru and it won't even allow it to get past reverse R!

You should NEVER try to put your car into Park position while the car is moving! You can do this with Toyota-Lexus transmissions, but the chance of destroying the locking pawl is very possible. ;)

:blink: heh it can be done...trust me.

;)

the more adviseable way to stop if you have no brakes and plenty of room is to put it in neutral and coast to a stop.

or if you have a manual, downshift. engine braking is ard to do in an auto.

once you have downshifted to 1st, this should put you ~20mph, then you can rub the wheels on the curb till you stop, ir drag your foot out the open door (though you may have an issue with your shoes melting...) :blink:

then there is the other option, head straigth for the nearest pole or brick wall.

most cars, at 20 you wouldnt be able to stop..i have stopped a geo tracker 2 door from a >5MPH roll when i was like 13. when brakes fail the only real way to stop the car is throwing the tranny in park. IF you do this, count on buy a new trans and engine (when a tranny seizes at any speen above 30 or so, it usually takes the motor with it.) at any speed above 45, you probably just totalled your car, because the torque will bend the subframe.