Tune Up/timing Belt Cost

mwon

Can anyone tell me how much a tune up and timing belt costs on a 99' RX300? How often should I have these services done to my car?

Thanks for the help.

- Michael

Your timing belt should be changed at or around 80k miles. As far as services at normal points should be around $200. Unless you are getting your 30k, 60k and so on. These points of service cost a bit more..

• 5 weeks later...

Lexus recommends that your "tune up" (basically plugs only on the RX300 be changed at the same time as your timing belt at 90,000 miles your other fluids like coolant and trans, ect should be changed before that of course if they did not give you a factory maintenance manual with your owners manual call and request one they are usually free

I was wondering if any one could provide further clarification on this timing belt issue - I looked in the manual to verify the whole 90,000 mile thing, but the maintenance schedule only calls for a 90,000 mile change under "special circumstances - such as heavy commerical use, large amounts of time in idle, etc..."

How about the normal, everyday use by Ol' Joe Bag O' Donuts?

Thanks - Robin

Lexus classifies things screwed up When I was a Toyota parts manager Toyota would cringe if you went over 60,000 miles without changing it out then when I went to lexus 10 years ago they said 90,000 for the same belt. I had a hard time reprogramming my brain for that. A good example is Lexus says change your oil every 5000 to 7500 miles 5000 being under excellant conditions, but on my 01 I change every 3500 to 5000 they leave a big gap for error in there books and have seen alot of toyota and some Lexus come back with "gel" problems (basically motor oil gunking up and making vehicle smoke at start up and in bad cases accerration!!) So please take there terms of driving conditions with a grain of salt. I have seen to many ES and RX's coming in with 25000 miles toast because customer did not change oil once even though Lexus pays for first one on every new car!! I always tell people oil change it at least every 5,000 miles change coolant at 30,000 and drivetrain fluids every 15 to 25000 depending on freeway miles or back roads and it will last forever!! :ph34r: lexus guy

While we are on the engine gel subject. I've done at least 50 of them. All of them were on RX and ES. If you going 15k miles without an oil change, you might want to let the dealer check the car out. Take care of your lexus.

JPI

• 1 year later...

Mike,

I have about 82K now on my RX300. I have done complete 70K miles service spend about 1000 bucks on it. No they are asking for about $550 for timing belt. Is this a fair price

maverick :cries:

Can anyone tell me how much a tune up and timing belt costs on a 99' RX300?  How often should I have these services done to my car?

Thanks for the help.

-  Michael

Your timing belt should be changed at or around 80k miles. As far as services at normal points should be around $200. Unless you are getting your 30k, 60k and so on. These points of service cost a bit more..

While we are on the engine gel subject.  I've done at least 50 of them.  All of them were on RX and ES.  If you going 15k miles without an oil change, you might want to let the dealer check the car out.  Take care of your lexus. 

JPI

i did my own timing belt. I got two differnt quotes from two different dealers one $800m and $1300 . I took my time and it took 6hrs and $300 for parts and labor. It was fun. I did a montero sport the next day and it took me 12 hours. If you good tools its cake.